Another Stainless Steel Frets Thread

u6crash

• Members

Some people claim they brighten the sound but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

The main reason stainless frets aren't used is because they're hard to work with, hence they'll be expensive if you refret with them. But if it's on your main axe, I'd say they are well worth it.

I played a Carvin with stainless steel frets and I thought it felt great, and the fact that the guitar will last longer without a refret is a guitarists dream come true,

• Members

Stainless frets will not increase wear on strings. There is actually less drag/friction with stainless due to the tighter grain structure of the alloy compared to nickel silver. Strings rarely break at the fret, more so at the bridge.

• Members

I'm wrestling the this very questions right now; my #1 needs new frets and I'm wondering about the stainless steel. I really like the idea of frets that last a LONG time, not because of the refret expense but because I really like how the fingerboard wears a bit after alot of use. The edges get more rounded, wears in cetain areas , etc. All the things that make a good old guitar feel like a GOOD old guitar. I imagine when I get my refret the first thing they'll do is sand the fingerboard down to be totally flat and I'll have to start all over again. Not digging that idea.

But anyway, under no circumstances do I want to change the tone by going stainless. My gut tells me this won't happen, but that nagging worry keeps me on the fence. I wish a reputable luthier would fret a guitar with a split fingerboard, nickle on one side and stainless on the other, put on a bunch of 10's, and do a test to compare the tone. That would settle the speculation once and for all.

• Members

i think one of those deluxe strats (montego black with all the locking caca) had them... felt GRRREAT (felt VERY slick/stayed VERY shiny)... could be wrong, but that's not what i wanted to say...

i wanted to get them on my les paul (got the regular ones, instead)... my tech said he didn't have/use them... so, decision made easy, there...

i don't think you can readily bend them to radius (by hand like regilar frets); have to use one of those crank-driven-jobs from stewmac.com, get it just right and put em' in. just imagine having the radius too tight and you tried pounding them into your fretboard like that?? the though makes me feel like i was kicked in the engine room...

• Members

I can't comment on a refret, but I have them in Parker Nitefly. I've had that guitar for about 3 years. It's a 1997 (I believe) and the frets look brand new. Almost ten years later and there's not so much as a scratch. They don't wear out. Bends are extremely smooth and effortless.

• Members

Originally posted by chikinpox

I can't comment on a refret, but I have them in Parker Nitefly. I've had that guitar for about 3 years. It's a 1997 (I believe) and the frets look brand new. Almost ten years later and there's not so much as a scratch. They don't wear out. Bends are extremely smooth and effortless.

I don't know Parkers all that well, but is yours one with a composite fretboard in which the frets are glued right on the top? I didn't know if there were many guitar makers actually using stainless steel or not. Just that Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars had them.

• Members

I don't know Parkers all that well, but is yours one with a composite fretboard in which the frets are glued right on the top? I didn't know if there were many guitar makers actually using stainless steel or not. Just that Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars had them.

Yeah, the USA Parkers had the composite fretboards. This allowed Ken Parker to use stainless steel, since the frets are "set", not "hammered". Since then other manufacturers are doing it (you can add Carvin to the list), so I guess someone's found a feasible way of putting them in standard fretboards.

• Members

Originally posted by chikinpox

Yeah, the USA Parkers had the composite fretboards. This allowed Ken Parker to use stainless steel, since the frets are "set", not "hammered". Since then other manufacturers are doing it (you can add Carvin to the list), so I guess someone's found a feasible way of putting them in standard fretboards.

Add Tom Anderson, John Suhr, Michael Tuttle to the list of manufactures using stainless steel frets.

• Members

Originally posted by u6crash

Yes, the frets are glued onto a composite fretboard.

I have a Nitefly too. I got it in 1998 and the frets still look brand new. My other two guitars have standard frets. I have noticed that bends are easier on the stainless frets. I have also noticed that string life is slightly shorter on the Parker when compared to my other guitars (Variax 500, Ibanez s470), but not that much shorter.

The Nitefly isn't noticeably brighter than other guitars, but I've never heard a Nitefly without SS frets so I can't really comment on whether or not they change the tone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

bump

There is still no midpriced guitars that i'm aware of that offer stainless steel frets yet but hopefully soon. I'm especially interested in lightweight les paul (8lbs) with 1 11/16 nut width. Come on ESP/Edwards, Tokai, Rondo/Agile!!

Mighty Mite is supposed to be adding stainless steel frets as an option for an extra fee on their replacement necks. Several dealers i contacted had said that they should be available in a few months. That was a few months ago. :mad:

Yeah Michael Tuttle has a very good reputation for doing awesome refrets with stainless steel frets. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

There are probably more but heres a compilation list:

Warmoth

USA Custom

Tom Anderson

John Suhr

Carvin

Michael Tuttle

Emerald

Driskill

Parker

Musicraft

Petillo

Buscarino

TKINstruments

McNaught

-----------------------------------------

Other:

Recently, I learned that some rare guitars in the 1960's had stainless steel frets. Hagstrom in particular had a few with them. I wonder how those vintage ss frets compare to the ss frets being used today. It would be interesting to hear of any people who have owned one of those and been playing it regularly since the 60's, no fretwork everr done, and the frets are still like new.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I LOVE stainless frets.

I have them with an ebony board with no inlays on my carvin 7 string and it feels like glass.

They do not change the tone of the guitar, HOWEVER, if you're used to having tinny overtones when doing rapid vibrato that can be caused by rough, irregular nickle frets, then yes, your tone will change because there is virtually no "fret noise" from vibrato on stainless frets.

In otherwords, SRV posers look elsewhere, for everyone else I'd strongly recommend them.

-W

• Members

Hi all,

My first post and apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

I've had two parker fly deluxe guitars, and they are almost faultless. The stainless frets certainly appear to resist wear very well.

BUT on both of my guitars I've had frets fall off mid-gig!!

They are tangless of course but when you pay that sort of money fo a guitar you want it to make you a cup of tea each morning - not drop frets like christmas tree needles!

Anyone else had this problem?

Maybe I have particularly corrosive sweat (where's the nearest laboratory?!!)

Kind regards. Bob.

• Members

02-02-200618.JPG

the only thing bad about SS frets is that once you get them, you'll want them on all your guitars. they're addicting!

seriously though, there are ZERO cons to SS frets that i have found. i have 2 guitars that i got refretted with ss frets and i couldn't be happier. The "exesive string wear" thing is total bull{censored}. they don't make the tone brighter. they aren't too slippery. they're just awesome frets. period.

• Members

Originally posted by Dr. B of Arc

Hi all,

My first post and apologies if this topic has been covered elsewhere.

I've had two parker fly deluxe guitars, and they are almost faultless. The stainless frets certainly appear to resist wear very well.

BUT on both of my guitars I've had frets fall off mid-gig!!

They are tangless of course but when you pay that sort of money fo a guitar you want it to make you a cup of tea each morning - not drop frets like christmas tree needles!

Anyone else had this problem?

Maybe I have particularly corrosive sweat (where's the nearest laboratory?!!)

Kind regards. Bob.

I've never had any problems like that with my Parker. :confused:

Archived