Another Stainless Steel Frets Thread

u6crash

• Members

I had SS frets put on my Warmoth neck with ebony board and Walnut neck,

Stainless is unbeatable, very slick, I see no excess wear to strings at all, fret show no wear after a year now.

I would put them on every successive guitar now!

it was only a $20 surcharge from Warmoth, well worth it!:thu:

• Members

My nitefly is a '99 and the SS frets look brand new. I love 'em. :thu:

I've heard about the problem with frets falling out of Parkers. Supposedly it is very rare and only happens under extreme conditions..I'd be really pissed if it happened to me though.

I haven't had any problems with mine so far.

• Members

Just got this e-mail response from fender regarding stainless steel frets. It speaks for itself. I removed his last name for privacy.

"Hello,

We currently do not have any plans for making a model with stainless steel frets. Stainless steel tends to be really hard on strings causing them to break more often. For that reason we generally default to our standard nickel-steel alloy.

Best regards-

John

Consumer Relations

Fender Musical Instruments

consumerrelations@fender.com

(480)596-7195

"

:D

If this was true there would be reviews to back it up. Plus, some fenders have stainless steel bridges. Has anyone heard of those increasing string breakage?

• Members

I love them so much I will not own a guitar without them.

I even had Scott Heatley build me a Les Paul with stainless

frets because our friends at Gibson do not answer the call of

progress. SS 6150 on that badboy.

TraditionB.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by aerorockjax

Just got this e-mail response from fender regarding stainless steel frets. It speaks for itself. I removed his last name for privacy.

"Hello,

We currently do not have any plans for making a model with stainless steel frets. Stainless steel tends to be really hard on strings causing them to break more often. For that reason we generally default to our standard nickel-steel alloy.

Best regards-

John

Consumer Relations

(480)596-7195

"

If this was true there would be reviews to back it up. Plus, some fenders have stainless steel bridges. Has anyone heard of those increasing string breakage?

This is probably why the moron "luthier" people at Fender haven't actually designed or improved a guitar in nearly fourty years.

-W

• Members

"Hello,

Best regards-

John

Consumer Relations

(480)596-7195

"

How I read this:

If we sold guitars with stainless steel frets, the strings would last longer which means we'd sell less strings. Let's only sell guitars with nickel/silver frets so that the strings will wear out faster and we'll sell more strings.

• Members

I had the first 6 frets on my Acoustic redone with stainless when they wore out. Since then they have not even worn slightly! Things of note:

1. I didn't notice a tone change (not even slightly) Not from the originals, and not between them and the older Nickel/Silver frets.

2. I didn't notice a change in string wear (since I've never broken a string anywhere but at the bridge or the nut).

3. Those frets are smooth just like a newly polished Nickel/Silver fret, but stayed like that even after two years.

4. No fret wear visible - at all - none whatsoever.

5. They only cost an extra few dollars per fret than just getting Nickel/Silver

6. The guy that did mine runs a plek machine - and used it to make the action on that guitar perfect.

So as previously mentioned: there are NO downsides to stainless steel frets, except that you'll want them on all your guitars. :D

• Members

Heres the response i got to my followup e-mail:

"Stainless steel is a harder metal that nickel-steel alloy. Stainless steel frets will last longer but since the majority of strings are made of a nickel/steel blend the stainless has a tendency to wear them much faster. You don

• Members

Heres the response i got to my followup e-mail:

"Stainless steel is a harder metal that nickel-steel alloy. Stainless steel frets will last longer but since the majority of strings are made of a nickel/steel blend the stainless has a tendency to wear them much faster. You don

• Members

Originally posted by Zerimas

My dad and I are currently building an electruc guitar and I was wondering is there anywhere one can purchase stainless steel fretwire? I want some real bad. . .
:cry:

Here are a few:

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/fretwire.htm

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/fretwire.htm

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?NameProdHeader=+Fretwire

• Members

Originally posted by GuitArtMan

All that being said, I've never, no never, broken a string at the fret with nickel/silver or stainless steel frets. It's always at the bridge, nut, or tuning peg.

In reality its no big deal to me that fender isn't considering offering ss frets on any models (i'm way more interested les pauls for my next guitar purchases). However, its a bit pathetic is to give BS reasons why.

• Members

Originally posted by JimAnsell

the only thing bad about SS frets is that once you get them, you'll want them on all your guitars. they're addicting!

This is very true. Five of my 12 guitars don't have stainless and it drives me crazy. They are the guitars I play the least so it's really hard to justify refretting but I'm sure I will talk myself into it eventually.

• Members

I ordered a Warmoth tele on this last thursday with 6230 SS frets. I have to wait a lil while before I can really comment on them though. I havent read one bad thing about them from a REAL GUITAR PLAYER, unlike big companies with some agenda.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by PolyFmorf

I'm going stainless next time. My Godin has grooves in the frets after only 3 years of playing it. They're not terribly deep but they are there. Pisses me off
:mad:

Which Godin do you have and how do you like it other then the worn frets?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by math2014

The only problem with SS frets is that there is not a single tech or luthier in Greece that will install them...

You mean there are luthiers in greece? I doubt they make anything but cheesy bazookis for tourists.

Archived