Full band blumlein mic suggestions? por favor.

• Members

I like to do a lot live in the room recordings of bands. Which I use a blumlein pair to capture the room, and then direct mics on the amps drums along with extensive use of gobos to minimize bleed on the direct mics.

I don't have a huge selection of mics.

For the Blumlein, I use two Cad e200's in figure 8. They're kinda like a poor mans 414, but to my ears I love em for this application.

The dilemma, I also like to use the Cad e200 on the snare, shell mic in figure 8, and its pretty tasty for a distance mic on the guitar. So when I do a whole band live, I use 57 on the snare, and a marshall LDC can't remember the model right now. Its not my favorite by far, too bright.

So I would really like to have some options for replacing the blumlein setup, thereby free those CAD mics up for snare and guitar.

I was considering looking into a matched pair of Cascade fatheads or shiny box ribbons. I'm a little concerned about using ribbons in blumlein for this ap though, due to the highend roll off, but maybe that'll work out great I dunno.

or maybe a pair of KSM44's or something of that ilk.

Or am I better off, looking at a getting a figure 8 snare mic, and different LDC for the guitar distance mic.

Sorry for the convoluted question, but just curious what some of you guys use for blumlein applications and more specifically in full band situations.

• Moderators

I like my Fatheads for the app you describe but you're right on with regards to the high end roll off limitation. EQ works fine to compensate. And in some ways the roll off can be cool too. But I like 414s for that. Haven't tried the KSM44s but from what I've heard I'd probably like them as well.

What kind of a budget are we talking here?

The ribbon mikes would probably need a little HF EQ boost, but their "natural" bi-directional polar pattern makes them a good contender in this application IMO. MXL and Audio Technica both make very affordable condenser mikes with multi-patterns... or you could probably find some more E200's / Equitek II's on Ebay used...

You mentioned the KSM44's - if we're talking about that kind of price point, your options are a lot more open...

• Members

As far as budget, I'm not sure obviously its always a concern. But for now I'll cap it at $1600.00 which puts the KSM44's at the top of my budget. Though the whole 600.00 for a pair of modded Fatheads admittedly sounds very attractive, with those I'm worried if they are too warm for the application. I also, know that finding a good matched pair of multi-patterned condensers will be most likely 1200. or higher.

I guess I didn't think about M130's, I guess I could probably get a couple of those for 1300.00, once again I don't know how they compare. Do they have a little more or less highend?

• Members

Get the Fatheads with the Lundahl transformer option, and HF rolloff is less of a concern.

I would definitely go for the lundahl upgrade, if I were to go for these.

Same with the Shinybox. What about those? They seem to get good reviews and I believe they have a slightly more extend HF than the cascades according to some sites. But They don't seem to be as popular or talked about as much as the cascades. I find myself wondering why.

As far as, AT multipatterns go what are some of the better options there? I don't want a hyped highend, so I'd be looking for more of flat response.

• Members

Audio Technica 4050's are great multipurpose, multipattern condensers. On a more limited budget, you could try the newer 2050's, which I have not personally heard yet...

How would you characterize their sound? Are they bright? Even? warm? etc.

My heart is telling me to go with ribbon mics, my brain is telling me to go with something like these 4050's for the versatility aspect.

• Members

Anyone have an opinion on Beyer M130's?

I found the data sheet at recording hacks, and it appears to have a very flat response up to 10K. Actually, it seems to have less lowend then some of the other ribbons freq plots I've checked. This could be more of what I'm looking for. I'm just wondering about its character. Any comments?

Archived