Heil "The Fin" mic?

• Members

Not a real stand out in the Heil line in my experience, but certainly decent. It does look very cool and the LED versions are very show-y.

The PR series is the real stand out stuff in the Heil brand.

War

It's my understanding that the diaphragm is the same as the PR20. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow just to see what it sounds like.

• Members

It's my understanding that the diaphragm is the same as the PR20. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow just to see what it sounds like.

Probably is, but I felt the grill was getting a bit in the way and sounded, well...a bit "phase-y" to me.

War

• Members

get the fin for the look, or just get the pr22 if you want the sound. The fin does indeed have the pr20 element, but sounds different because of the housing. better than a shure though. my favorite vocal mic for live sound is now the pr35

• Members

Well, a guy responded to my Craigslist posting yesterday and came out to check out the mic...and bought it.

I put up a SM58, Sennheiser E835 and an older AT Pro40 dynamic and the Fin for comparison.

The Fin had a bigger and richer sound than the other dynamics and the guy bought it.

Heil's main market for years has been the amatuer radio market.

Archived