What is a "plek" job?

Jkater

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just noticed Wechter guitars (makes many $200-400 acoustic guitars) plek all their guitars. That pretty much ends the excuses why lower-midpriced guitars aren't pleked. Since guitars with stainless steel frets can be pleked that will allow low-midpriced guitars to come with ss frets perfectly set up from the factory at approx $20 more (if you want the ss frets). Great thing there is the ss probably won't ever need another plek or alternatively level, crown, and polishes.

• Members

Originally posted by m90guy

So pleking is just for those who like really low action right?

If I personally like med-high action on my guitars there wouldnt be a need for it then right?

I think the Plek folks would say it's more than just low action; It's "optimizing" the relief, fret-leveling, and action. But the most impressive aspect of it is going to be the action.

I had a heritage Millennium recently that was Plek'd at the factory. I have some pretty good guitars to compare it to and I have to say it was the lowest action of any. It also had a hard to describe "consistency" about the fingerboard. Like up and down and across it all felt very consistent.

• Members

I had my Mirage Deluxe plek'd in December. I thought I was going to need a fret job. I used Phil Jacobey. I talked to him on the phone and he made sure everything I wanted was done. He far exceeded my expectations. Very professional. My understanding is he used to work for PRS. His web site is philtone.com. The whole job was around $180 ish I think.

• Members

Originally posted by dewees

I think the Plek folks would say it's more than just low action; It's "optimizing" the relief, fret-leveling, and action. But the most impressive aspect of it is going to be the action.

I had a heritage Millennium recently that was Plek'd at the factory. I have some pretty good guitars to compare it to and I have to say it was the lowest action of any. It also had a hard to describe "consistency" about the fingerboard. Like up and down and across it all felt very consistent.

I have new H535 ,, . It plays real slick ,,, i have no idea if its been pleked or not Do they run everything that goes down the line though the process ? rat

• Members

I used Phil Jacobey. I talked to him on the phone and he made sure everything I wanted was done. He far exceeded my expectations. Very professional

I am seeing Phil on Thursday to get him to refret my strat.

Phil is THE MAN for repair work. I haev tried a ton of folks, many good, but recently found Phil and I have found him to be great.

• Members

Originally posted by rhat

I have new H535 ,, . It plays real slick ,,, i have no idea if its been pleked or not Do they run everything that goes down the line though the process ? rat

I think they do. I would if I were building guitars and bought that machine. I think they got their Plek machine in the last few years. Their web site still calls it "new" - But they never update the site, so it's hard to say. Serial numbers starting with T indicate 2003.

• Members

I'm curious who the next guitar makers will be who get some plek machine(s) and start pleking some/all their guitars. It would be intersting if say warmoth pleked all their necks (or offered the option).

By the way, Wetcher, by request will offer stainless steel frets on the Elite 9000 series guitars (hi end custom made) but presently aren't on any of their import guitar models.

Archived