Face it

• Members

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-face-it-in-music-devaluation-is-the-new-reality/

Spotify is offering access to the most well-organized, comprehensive catalog of music ever assembled in history. So why are they being forced to beg?

Sure, Spotify is limiting offline and mobile access with its middle-tier, ‘Unlimited’ offering. They needed to create some differentiation. But 5 pounds, 5 euros, 5 whatevers?

The internet did this to recorded music. Removing the 2.0-friendly hat for one moment, the reality is that the perceived value of recordings has been eviscerated. And Spotify just can’t ramp its premium percentages to a reasonable level.

The devaluation is the new reality. At Digital Hollywood, one panelist spoke of the ‘awkwardness’ that arises when artists charge their fans. At NARM, everyone was trying to figure out how to CPR the CD with cheaper price points and special packages. And months earlier, David Hyman of MOG stuffed an entire catalog of six million songs, a smart radio player, and a community of like-minded fans for five bucks a month.

USA Today called us when MOG All Access launched, asking if it would work. When the answer was ‘maybe, let’s see,’ the reporter was a bit surprised. But it’s only five bucks, how could it not work? Sure, Hyman could convince the investors, you can almost see the pitch right now. But consumers are getting high for free.

We’re talking about the price of a beer. But MOG (and now Spotify) are giving you the entire keg for that price, always full and with whatever beer you want. And for another five, Spotify (and later MOG) will give you a smartphone backpack to carry it around. So why is it still a major question as to whether fans will pay?

Actually, Rhapsody and Napster - and labels - have been asking this very question since the early part of last decade. When digital music conferences were packed and billions were at stake, subscription success was almost viewed as a future truism by some. A matter of time. So many songs, so much access, how could it not make sense?

Maybe the new rule is that, if it looks good on paper, it’ll never work. If it seems like an obvious winner, maybe it’s destined to lose. But the seemingly-illogical consumer reaction can be dissected.

Let’s see. They’ll still pay for Netflix (NSDQ: NFLX), smartphones and endless apps, games, iPads, and Kindles. And, far more than five bucks for cable channels, most of which they’ll never watch. And, they’ll pay for broadband upstream, but music downstream must be free.

The toll booth is out of reach, and European labels are determined to do something about it. Just take a look at the average hard drive and iPod. Sure, the cloud will save the music industry, except that everyone is already carrying thousands of pre-selected, ripped or swapped (and occassionally paid-for) songs with them at all times. Shuffling through playlists, tuning the world out with gigs of music. So, why do they need more?

And sure, they ‘pay for music’. Believe that and you’ll believe that they also ‘go to the show’. But online, rationalizations aren’t required, and music floweth for free - download, on-demand, whatever. To the point that consumers now expect it, they are entitled to gratis.

And that is why Spotify finds itself struggling to convince majors in the US. And, why they are suddenly throwing their award-winning interface into the bargain bin and curtailing free access. The recording industry was thrust into digital disruption before the others, and the perceived value of its output is therefore different.

So will the latest Spotify retread work? The short, post-Napster history suggests no. It says that even well-priced propositions will struggle against free. And it shows that a consumer stuffed is not a consumer in need. The gods of free have won, and Spotify is just making its sacrifices.

This story has been provided by our content partner Digital Music News.

• Members

The only thing that will work is MUSICIANS standing up for themselves and charging for worthy art.

But since most musos are insecure ego driven nerds it'll never happen.

"Here, please. Just take it. It is not worthy of your compensation. You listening is enough." :rolleyes:

• Members

Totally true points...but the truth that spoiled assholes will continue to take it for free is also true. Whenever I enter into a debate like this you get folks telling rich artists like Metallica to go screw themselves. I don't know how to change that.

Then again, since I started charging to compose music over the past year I've found a growing list of clients willing to pay. I'm not charging much, a hundred, couple hundred here and there. I was all shy about doing it at first, but then I realized clients took me more serious...by paying me I would be more committed to their project.

• Members

Totally true points...but the truth that spoiled assholes will continue to take it for free is also true. Whenever I enter into a debate like this you get folks telling rich artists like Metallica to go screw themselves. I don't know how to change that.

You answered your own question when you said....

Then again, since I started charging to compose music over the past year I've found a growing list of clients willing to pay. I'm not charging much, a hundred, couple hundred here and there. I was all shy about doing it at first, but then I realized clients took me more serious...by paying me I would be more committed to their project.

It's gotta happen one independent artist at a time. Once we get out of the "I'm gonna be a star." mindset and get to work, we could actually see change in the industry. But it has to happen one at a time.

• Members

yeah, it's an unfortunate circular argument. Both sides are right.

So yeah, if you can find a way to make money with music, ragardless of how, you are among a slim minority and good for you.

I'm also working on a catalog of 50-100 compositions for publishing and licensing for film/tv. It seems to be the best way to go right now.

• Members

I can't stand people who "get free music." They don't get that their "favorite bands" are being put out of business by them downloading it. Sure, it may not ever really "hit Metallica" but the truth is that it hurts not only the little guys, but also keeps the little guys from ever getting anywhere. I would never give away CDs. Most people tell me I'm a douchebag businessman, but if I'm playing gigs and hauling 10K+ gear, I dang sure better get something. Played too many "I can't afford to pay you" gigs...I played one where I drove 2 hours for a friend who "couldn't pay" and he gave away a couple PS3s (when they first came out), a couple XBOX 360s and 10 loaded skate decks...but couldn't throw me a hundred bucks for gas? Playing free gigs is something bands are going to have to quit doing. Locally, bar bands do good to get 175/night (to split between the band). If everyone would realize this, good musicians could make a little money at it.

• Members

maybe the music just sucks and isn't worth paying for?

Then why do you download it? It sucks, but you still take the time to download the mp3 and listen to it? :facepalm:

Jesse G, how do you propose we adapt? You have no {censored}ing clue, just like the rest of us. The truth is when people get your things for free then its not a valid business anymore.

• Members

File sharing is here to stay.

Whether it's moral or not to any of you is irrelevant. Adapt to a changing market place or get left behind.

In other words, "face it"

And this mindset is why music will become a commodity and future generations will feel that free music is "owed" to them.

And it is cuz musicians aren't willing to stand up for their art. They are too busy trying to "get noticed" or create some kind of fabricated "scene" to help their "career".

"Facing it" is an almost silly thing to say to indie folks who sell product. Like we don't already know that.

Bottom line, do you put value on what you do? If you don't, no one else will. PERIOD.

• Members

So not only am I expected to give it away for free, I'm also expected to play for "exposure" and just accept it?

Exactly what business model makes money when everyone expects you to do it all for free Jesse? I never saw "free" stop the electric company from shutting off service. I can try to tell them to get me free electric for "exposure".. I will let you know what they say... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

You're just assuming that music recording
has
to be a business, just because "I've put so much into it", but perhaps it's not a job anymore.

Partly. There is also the legitimate concern that music may not only no longer be a job, but an art, in the near future. If music is being cranked out exclusively by hot dog salesmen and Tay Zonday, then it ceases to exist as we have ever known it.

• Members

Partly. There is also the legitimate concern that music may not only no longer be a job, but an art, in the near future. If music is being cranked out exclusively by hot dog salesmen and Tay Zonday, then it ceases to exist as we have ever known it.

Music is an art?? OH NO, someone call the police! This man says music is becoming art!

Ask yourself this: when in the history of humanity has it ever been easy for an artist or musician to make a living off of his work? Never. When in the future will it be easy for an artist or musician to make a living off of his art? Never! So for everyone crying about how hard it is today, welcome to how it's always been.

There's 10,000,000+ bands and artists out there vying for a piece of a very small pie that's been chewed up and spit out numerous times by those before them. I say go for the pie that few have touched and be thankful that music is simply a part of your life!

• Members

future generations will feel that free music is "owed" to them.

That horse has already left the barn. It's done. Musicians on a message board don't understand that 80-90% of 'listeners' are casual listeners who may not know, or care, what they're listening to. They can listen to the radio, or to streaming audio, or a bunch of songs on their media player, but it doesn't matter, they don't CARE about the music. And they EXPECT it to be free.

So what can a musician do? Focus on the comitted listeners. The fans. Find them, cater to them, listen to them, fulfill their needs, and participate with them. Make your fans feel like an important part of the process, and they will reward you. Scrape off the fungus leaching your music for free, and don't let it distract you from paying attention to your best customers. Move on. Quit whining about something that can't be fixed, and focus the energy on something that will actually get results.

• Members

Music is an art?? OH NO, someone call the police! This man says music is becoming art!

Ask yourself this: when in the history of humanity has it ever been easy for an artist or musician to make a living off of his work? Never. When in the future will it be easy for an artist or musician to make a living off of his art? Never! So for everyone crying about how hard it is today, welcome to how it's always been.

There's 10,000,000+ bands and artists out there vying for a piece of a very small pie that's been chewed up and spit out numerous times by those before them. I say go for the pie that few have touched and be thankful that music is simply a part of your life!

I wrote that music may be neither a profession nor an art in the future.

I counter you question with a question: when, in the past, has it been impossible for a musician to make a living from his work? Were you alive 20 years ago? Competent cover bands were making the same per night, in UNadjusted dollars as now. Pretty much the same 30 years ago.

Music will cease to be a part of anybody's life in a meaningful way when it becomes dumbed-down, iPod ready MP3s of the soundtrack from the latest teen comedy. People will continue to learn and play music, but the day may come when the audience for music as an honest expression of emotion ceases to exist outside of the bedroom "studio."

Hyperbole? Look around. Try to find college kids buying music. They don't because music has, literally, no value to them. Nobody is racing back to the dorm to listen through the latest disc with a group of friends, a phenomenon that sprung up spontaneously with the birth of affordable recorded media, and existed as little as five or ten years ago.

You're fooling yourself if you think the status quo will sort itself out. If nobody pays for music, nobody will make, or at the very least, distribute it.

• Members

I wrote that music may be neither a profession nor an art in the future.

I counter you question with a question: when, in the past, has it been impossible for a musician to make a living from his work? Were you alive 20 years ago? Competent cover bands were making the same per night, in UNadjusted dollars as now. Pretty much the same 30 years ago.

Music will cease to be a part of anybody's life in a meaningful way when it becomes dumbed-down, iPod ready MP3s of the soundtrack from the latest teen comedy. People will continue to learn and play music, but the day may come when the audience for music as an honest expression of emotion ceases to exist outside of the bedroom "studio."

Hyperbole? Look around. Try to find college kids buying music. They don't because music has, literally, no value to them. Nobody is racing back to the dorm to listen through the latest disc with a group of friends, a phenomenon that sprung up spontaneously with the birth of affordable recorded media, and existed as little as five or ten years ago.

You're fooling yourself if you think the status quo will sort itself out. If nobody pays for music, nobody will make, or at the very least, distribute it.

I never said it was impossible, I said that it wasn't easy. What is affecting the music industry is also affecting every other industry in the world.

But I still believe that people will always be willing to pay for a live music experience. You can't get that on recordings. If anything recordings should just be used as a marketing tool to get people to the shows.

• Members

That horse has already left the barn. It's done. Musicians on a message board don't understand that 80-90% of 'listeners' are casual listeners who may not know, or care, what they're listening to. They can listen to the radio, or to streaming audio, or a bunch of songs on their media player, but it doesn't matter, they don't CARE about the music. And they EXPECT it to be free.

So what can a musician do? Focus on the comitted listeners. The fans. Find them, cater to them, listen to them, fulfill their needs, and participate with them. Make your fans feel like an important part of the process, and they will reward you. Scrape off the fungus leaching your music for free, and don't let it distract you from paying attention to your best customers. Move on. Quit whining about something that can't be fixed, and focus the energy on something that will actually get results.

+1

Although I won't say that things could NEVER change , for the forseeable future i think this is the approach that has to be taken . Unfortunatley the technology has reduced musicians to putting out the hat or leaving the guitar case open in front . Use the technology ( yes , the buzz words "social networking " ) to cater to those who care , Ignore the rest who walk by , or listen awhile then walk without tossing any spare change.....

The basic appreciation for good , deep understanding of writing ( newspapers and mags are under the same howitzer barrel) and musicianship are at an all time low . People with the inate potential for greatness who might have pursued the lifelong study of composition are going to become lawyers ( just what we needed )

And then of course , is the myth that touring is oh so profitable !! more like rolling poverty for all but the most fortunate .............

When you go see a live show, it doesn't make up for the record you ripped off LimeWire. Your ticket price pays the roadies, the sound guys, the tour manager, the gas bills, the van insurance, and maybe, if they're lucky, the band.

from:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/modiba/why-you-should-pay-for-mu_b_606430.html

Sometimes it it takes a good songwriter years to put a great song together , then it takes years for it to take off ( google the wiki on Lenoard Cohen's song "hallelujah ") ; ....... meanwhile the fantasy that the tech sector will sell is that the bohemian starving artist will prevail no matter the trials of living without an income ( which they , by no coeincidence , happen to have pilfered !!)

I'm glad that I have allot of good stuff to listen too now , enough to last the rest of my time here , ; cause I'd say were in for a DROUGHT !!!:facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

What is affecting the music industry is also affecting every other industry in the world.

People are downloading LCD TVs, insisting it is their right to do so, and demonizing anyone that tries to slow them down? I did not know that. Link?

Archived