So how are the new $99 P90 Epiphone LP Jrs?

KillingAllJoy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought one yesterday at GC for $80. I went in to play the 56 goldtop. I played about 10 different guitars all epiphone and Gibson. even a $3,100 custom shop lp custom. Guess which guitars spoke to me the most?

The Epi Jr. and the Epi Gold top. People who didnt' know what guitar I was playing even commented on the epi's tone.

The bolt on neck or body thickness doesn't bother me at all. It's a playable guitar. The P90 does hum a bit, but I haven't had time to play it loud through my main rig yet.
I bought it to keep in my office at work, but this may be an $80 gigable guitar.
It's great! I'll try to get a pic of it. Yes, Epi is discontinuing them.
Grab one!

epimjru.jpg

edspics031.jpg

edspics030.jpg

I talked mine down to $80. I had played it and knew it was good but... I like to debate my purchases for at least 24 hrs... or less. I was taking a chance because they had told me it was the last one. I called up and asked if it was there. Basically said. It's an Ok guitar. Will you take $75 for it? (it was $99) They came back with $80.

• Members

I didn't have to talk them down. I'm a regular customer and they automatically give me a little lower price.

The neck is straight and the intonation is perfect. They've got the wrap around bridge thing down perfectly.

The only thing that is questionable on mine is the tuners. a little sticky and lots of play, but it does tune up.

• Members

Originally posted by weatherboy

I didn't have to talk them down. I'm a regular customer and they automatically give me a little lower price.

The neck is straight and the intonation is perfect. They've got the wrap around bridge thing down perfectly.

The only thing that is questionable on mine is the tuners. a little sticky and lots of play, but it does tune up.

I used to be able to just walk in, but all of the salesmen I knew have left.

• Members

I'm writing the check now. Do you still have my shipping address?

:D

I bought one yesterday at GC for $80. I went in to play the 56 goldtop. I played about 10 different guitars all epiphone and Gibson. even a $3,100 custom shop lp custom. Guess which guitars spoke to me the most?

That's the way it be's sometimes. That's all I've ever said. I love the look. Might have to get the burst too!!:thu:

• Members

I'll probably put some gold top hat knobs to spice it up a bit.

I wonder if there is an after market P90 that might be a little less noisy than the epi one? I know lollar makes one, but I'm sure it's noisy like normal also.

I have a Gibson Jr that is a lot less noisy than the Squier Custom II P-90 (Duncan Designed) I have. Shielding might have a lot to do with it versus the pups themselves.

• Members

Damn forum! I read this thread at work, and after work, I went to my nearest Long and McQuade and left within 20 min with a HB Epi LP Jr.!

The quality of the various Epi LP jrs at Long and McQuade was quite variable.

The first one I picked up was HORRIBLE. It was unplayable. The frets were sharp at the edge and I felt like I might cut myself if I continued playing. Just awful.

I tried another. It was less horrible... but still a piece of crap.

Then I played #3. I don't know how these were the same guitars, 'cause #3 played so smooth! I was instantly comfortable on it. I thought to myself "this is too good to be true", so I went to the amp room and plugged into a Fender amp. It sounded good! So I bought it.

• Members

Originally posted by mfergel

Pretty sure Epi is clearing them out. Can't even find them listed on their website.

What is the measurement on the body thickness? I'm guess it's a little shy of 1/2" from a Les Paul? Probably about 3/8"??

Wonder why they're closing them out..... maybe they're gonig to introduce a standardised fixed-neck? Thicker body, maybe (though how much slimmer are they than the original Jnrs?)?

I'd love to see Epi come up with a good range of Juniors at the $200 mark .... they're {censored} about doing lefties, though, and Gibby shapes don't flip so well..... hmmn, unless they did an SG shaped one with the jack on the face.....

Archived