So how are the new $99 P90 Epiphone LP Jrs?

KillingAllJoy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everytime I see one of those, I think it might be an ok purchase, but I can't past the fact that the body isn't even as thick as my............. If they would add another 1/2 inch to the thickness of the body, it might be ok. Maybe I should buy one and laminate an extra half inch of mahogony to the back.......hmmmmm.

• Members

I haven't had one in my hands, but I think the concept is appealing for a "knock around" guitar.

You know, one you might take on a trip, throw in the boat, leave at work, perform outside the Mission... :D

I just don't see how any one could be ripped off at that price if it plays. But I guess you might want to A/B it with the quality Gibson Signature line at your nearest Best Buy store. :D :D

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

Try searching on Epiphone JR*

I have one. It rawks!

But it's like any inexpensive guitar. QC varies from guitar to guitar and it might just not feel right to you.

Here's a clip of mine.

Epi Jr p90 with a touch of OD

I'll try that. Can't listen to clips at work.:cry:

I know it's going to be hard to grab a good one. Im not expecting greatness from a $99 guitar. Just want to know about the tone. Is the pick up decent? Does it sound like a pick up attatched to cardboard?

• Members

Originally posted by KillingAllJoy

I know there has to be other threads but I can't search Jr. so help me out!

Just buy it. If it sucks, it was only $100. In the past 7 years, I've wasted thousands on gear I've either sold, traded, or gave away to friends. Of course, I'm a complete moron, so you might wanna take that into consideration before taking my advice. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by KillingAllJoy

I'll try that. Can't listen to clips at work.
:cry:
I know it's going to be hard to grab a good one. Im not expecting greatness from a $99 guitar. Just want to know about the tone. Is the pick up decent? Does it sound like a pick up attatched to cardboard?

Anyplace you can go to hear the clips? I gotta think I wouldn't have posted them if I didn't think they sounded good...:D On the other hand I could be the local Epiphone shill! :D :D

• Members

Ha, the ASchadenfreud in me wants them to be really, really {censored} because they're not doing lefties........ :D

If they're the set neck versions, though, I expect they'll actually be pretty good.... If only they did a lefty versikon I'd definitely buy at least one at that price.... maybe two or three and do various custom paintjobs on 'em.... set one up for learnin' slide on....

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

Mine feels tight like a well made guitar. Nice playing and sounding. Also remember P90's hum.

That sounds pretty sweet. Still all stock?

Have you posted a pic of it yet? (probably a dumb question), but I'd like to see it.

Are some of those now shipping with HBs instead of P-90s?

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

Have you posted a pic of it yet? (probably a dumb question), but I'd like to see it.

The HB version has been around for a few years. I just now noticed the P90 version.

Frets99 how is the intonation? Any problems?

Originally posted by GAS Man

Thanks. All stock! Bolt on neck and they do have an HB model as well. The whole line seems to be on closeout sales everywhere you look.

This is mine!

EpihoneJrP9003.jpg

Originally posted by mfergel

How are the tuners and the nut? Looking at most of the reviews, they aren't too kind about those two items.

Probably the two places anyone should upgrade!

I'm not to picky as long as I get the tone I want, my strings don't break and it stays in tune.

I tune up before I use it and go until I'm done.

But better tuners couldn't be bad and the nut is plastic.

• Members

Here's mine, purchased in 1998 for $169.

lpjr.jpg

Click here to download a sound sample

I like mine. While it isn't as well constructed as my Agile Jr, it sounds a whole lot better.

EDIT: on the tuners and nut. The tuners aren't great on mine, they're covered gear, not sealed. However, they hold tune rather well considering. If you string with a lock and loop technique they should do just fine. The nut needed a slight amount of adjustment but nothing major. The only serious work I had to do was a fret level and polish. Once I did this the feel on it was great.

Originally posted by mfergel

Pretty sure Epi is clearing them out. Can't even find them listed on their website.

What is the measurement on the body thickness? I'm guess it's a little shy of 1/2" from a Les Paul? Probably about 3/8"??

I don't know exactly. It's funny. My Squier Bullet is even lighter. Here's a short clip from the Bullet.

Short Squier Bullet Clip

Archived