So how are the new $99 P90 Epiphone LP Jrs?

KillingAllJoy

Originally posted by Shuborno

Damn forum! I read this thread at work, and after work, I went to my nearest Long and McQuade and left within 20 min with a HB Epi LP Jr.!

The quality of the various Epi LP jrs at Long and McQuade was quite variable.

The first one I picked up was HORRIBLE. It was unplayable. The frets were sharp at the edge and I felt like I might cut myself if I continued playing. Just awful.

I tried another. It was less horrible... but still a piece of crap.

Then I played #3. I don't know how these were the same guitars, 'cause #3 played so smooth! I was instantly comfortable on it. I thought to myself "this is too good to be true", so I went to the amp room and plugged into a Fender amp. It sounded good! So I bought it.

And that's the truth of it. I had a similar experience with the Special II's. Only I picked up over 20 that were unplayable before I found one that felt like it was set up directly to my specs. I love that one!

I don't know what this means. First of all, how much QC can I expect for $99 springs to mind but I also have to wonder, why bother to make them if you're only gonna sell one in 20 or 30?

Is the lesson that an inexpensive guitar can almost always be set up to spec. I wouldn't want to take that chance either.

But if being patient and trying guitars out can yield a terrific playing and sounding guitar for such a pittance, why not.

I love my Jr and my Special II!!

BTW - Congrats!!:thu:

Yes this place doesn't just feed GAS, it manufactures it!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Frets99

But if being patient and trying guitars out can yield a terrific playing and sounding guitar for such a pittance, why not.

I love my Jr and my Special II!!

BTW - Congrats!!
:thu:

Yes this place doesn't just feed GAS, it manufactures it!!!

Yeah, this was my first impulse buy due solely to my reading of this forum. I think the time from when I read this thread to when I bought the guitar was a span of about 2 hours!

I have 30 days to return it if I don't like it, but so far, it feels and sounds like pure rock 'n roll. Hell, it feels better than my Jay Turser semihollow, which was my #1 for many years.

It does sound like it needs a pickup replacement and new tuners eventually, so I have to consider whether it's worth keeping if I need to upgrade it to make it a true workhorse.

Originally posted by Shuborno

Yeah, this was my first impulse buy due solely to my reading of this forum. I think the time from when I read this thread to when I bought the guitar was a span of about 2 hours!

Ladies and Gentlemen!! We have a new world record!!!!:D :D

So far mine feels roadworthy but I haven't tried it. I like the pup. I like the noisy rawk of the P90.

But if a pup and tuners makes a $99 a road warrior????:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

But if a pup and tuners makes a $99 a road warrior????
:thu:

Yeah man, it still seems too good to be true! I honestly was looking for reasons to return it since it was such an unnecessary impulse buy, but every note I played was another reason to keep it!

I did overpay slightly for it, since apparently at Long and McQuade, the prices have been going UP and not down (I tried to bargain with him, but apparently the one I was trying to get was actually marked low and was supposed to be $180.) They were $99 Cdn in January, but I had to pay $150 Cdn for mine.

Originally posted by HockeyRocker

Smashing guitars may not be cool, but there's a time and place to light one on fire and play with a leather jacket and glove on your picking hand.

This is THE guitar. Now, the time and place...

:D :D :D

But seriously. I was playing mine this morning. Kicked in a little OD and rolled back the tone. This girl was moaning in th mo'ning!!!!

That's woman tone!!!!:thu: :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by HockeyRocker

Smashing guitars may not be cool, but there's a time and place to light one on fire and play with a leather jacket and glove on your picking hand.

This is THE guitar. Now, the time and place...

I agree. For a previous band I was in, at our last gig, I took a beat up Montgomery Wards guitar I had and smashed the heck out of it at the end of Poison's "Talk Dirty to Me". The scariest thing was that a girl came up at the end of the show saying that the neck was better than the one on her guitar and that she was going to use it.......I was afraid to see how bad her guitar was.

• Members

I just went to guitar center and I was going to pick one of these up... the ass hole wouldn't even go down a dollar on the price.

I just walked out.

They had them on sale for $69 like two weeks ago, and he said he knew and it was too bad.

"Find me someone who has it cheaper and I'll match it, otherwise you pay full price."

{censored}ing douche.

• Members

Originally posted by Edward

Wonder why they're closing them out..... maybe they're gonig to introduce a standardised fixed-neck? Thicker body, maybe (though how much slimmer are they than the original Jnrs?)?

I'd love to see Epi come up with a good range of Juniors at the $200 mark .... they're {censored} about doing lefties, though, and Gibby shapes don't flip so well..... hmmn, unless they did an SG shaped one with the jack on the face.....

I got my SG jr for $125 off ebay in april, they're out there

Archived