Any Of You Still Use Standalone Multitrack Machines For Recording?

• Members

I do, Zoom MRS1608CD. I like the convenience, and I prefer performance to tweaking, so I get it right in the tracking phase.

I've recorded at places withh computer rigs (friends do TV shows and soundtracks), but a screen is very distracting, and I find you get {censored}ty takes because everyone watches the screen instead of eachother. I'm looking at the R24 right now.

• Members

I do, Zoom MRS1608CD. I like the convenience, and I prefer performance to tweaking, so I get it right in the tracking phase.

I've recorded at places withh computer rigs (friends do TV shows and soundtracks), but a screen is very distracting, and I find you get {censored}ty takes because everyone watches the screen instead of eachother. I'm looking at the R24 right now.

I use the Zoom MRS 1608, as well :)

I like the brutality of the Maximiser mastering effect! :D

• Members

My main recording machine is a Radar V, my main editing machine is a Mackie HDR24/96, my scratchpad, writing/arranging machine is a Tascam SX-1. The only computer in the studio is used for internet access, FTPing files to/from other studios, and storage of studio related documentation.

Scott

• Members

I daren't attempt to tweak anything. I don't really know what I'm doing
:o

I just tend to record a song and then 'Maximise' it

Thus:
Pull Yourself Together

Nice tune, great drum programming (I recognize that ride cymbal).

I usually start with the Rock Show preset, take off the gate, and any modules like resonance or modulation. Then I play with the different bands compression and level until I get the mix glued, but with dynamics.

• Moderators

Showoff. It counts if it's in your dwelling. Nice rig.

No, not in my dwelling. The only tape in my dwelling is an ancient 3M/Wollensak 1/4'' 2-Track machine that needs serious work before I can use it as anything other than a "tape effect" :lol: I have some nice analog pres/eqs/comps (Neve 1073, Focusrite ISA, Tube-Tech CL-1Bs) but all the recording happens in my computer.

• Members

I had a Tascam DP02 for ages and it was pretty great to learn on. I got frustrated with the difficulty of editing (horizontal? Like cutting bits out and moving them around) and so moved to Protools, which also allowed me more than the Tascams two inputs. Some of the newer machines with more inputs than that look pretty good though - a lad I know has just recorded an album (in 48 hours!) with a few mates of ours and it's pretty damn good.

He's got a Zoom but I dont know what model. He's all about the lean live take and I'm more of a stretch-it-out-see-what-fits-and-cut-off-the-fat-later kind of person - I always try to do be concise, but usually I start with too many minutes and have to trim songs -and even then I go on too long most of the time really:facepalm: Hence the need for easier horizontal editing...

Agree with the screen-watching thing though - very tempting to lose the vibe looking at all those pretty waveforms - having a screen you could hardly see turned out to be a benefit of the old Tascam after all!

• Members

I still use my Yamaha AW4416 to record multiple tracks at once (up to sixteen at a time) at 24 bit resolution. I can then transfer wave files from the 4416 to Pro Tools for editing and mixing. The 4416 does not have latency issues so it is also good for overdubs. It does, however, take a long time to burn the backup (or anything else) to CD.

I find it is much easier to get better final results using Pro Tools but I can still produce a good product just using the Yamaha.

Nope - pretty much all computer based around here these days. I do still have one ADAT machine, but I only use it for varispeed. I have two analog decks (one half track, one multitrack), but only the half track sees even semi-regular use.

The 4416 does not have latency issues so it is also good for overdubs. It does, however, take a long time to burn the backup (or anything else) to CD.

I really like those machines. I had two of them... but the slow backups finally got to be too much for me.

• Members

Alesis HD2424

Mix thru Soundcraft GB2 desk and some outboard. Main LR out goes thru an MBox Pro to ProTools LE for mastering.

Bit cheapo but it works.

I like the fact that a) I'm doing all my mixing on a board and not on a screen

and b) this seems to be similar to the way things were done when it was all analogue tape machines.

Also, I can record in on the Alesis in 48k 24bit and set ProTools to run in 44.1k 16bit and there is no resampling stress anywhere. I call this 'analog sample rate conversion.' :lol:

• Members

I'll dork around with my computer for fun, but for anything SERIOUS I use my Korg D32XD. 32 tracks but I'm thinking of cutting back to 16 to improve my song writing. Something about "hands on" is more inspirational for me.

d32xd.jpg

Archived