Les Paul sound + Strat Comfort = ???

jas_kidd32

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me, I could care less about the belly cut on my Paul, but I do miss the sloped shoulder for my arm. I end up wearing sweatbands on my arms so that the side of the body doesn't bug me. It works but I love that my Strat just falls into place without assistance, too bad it doesn't sound the same (not that I don't love my strat tones too)

• Members

Originally posted by Frets99

That looks like a mahogany Bullet. I love the concept of a single HB and volume knob. Tell me more about it!
:thu:

Hey - yeah, it does look like a Bullet! I got a pre-CBS style strat neck off Warmoth (they are very good IMO) and put some type of finish on it (can't remember what type).

As for the body, its an old junker a buddy of mine had in his basement. Under the pick guard, its all routed out and nasty. The pick guard feels solid on top of it though, so thats good. The bridge is from an old strat. The pickup is a Tom Anderson somethin or other. Its nice and fat sounding.

This thing doesn't sound like an LP, but its got a ton of balls and feels right to me. Its a good balance of strat playing with the LP type sound.

• Members

Originally posted by simbasa

I have had two Lp's and two Custom 24 PRS. They don't sound anything alike. I say you can't have your cake and eat it ,too. If you want the REAL LP sound, you need the thick body. There's just no way around it that I know of.

+1

Tried everything.

Ended up using both (LP & Strat) and selling the rest.

• Members

Have you thought about a good tele ??

I recently bought my first one ever............and I'm shocked at how thick sounding it is.....

When I roll the tone down to about 6 on the bridge pickup.........I swear it sounds like a les paul ! Roll the tone up up a bit and you get great biting sweet lead tones.

I wish I bought a tele years ago..........It's leo's les paul.

• Members

Don't take this the wrong way. Sometimes when something is written, it look like it has attitude.

Am I the only player on this site who doesn't have an issue with weigth?

My Strats, My Les Pauls....can't really say I notice a difference.

My chrome bodied reso.... I can tell.

• Members

Originally posted by Andre XXX

I recently bought my first one ever............and I'm shocked at how thick sounding it is.....

When I roll the tone down to about 6 on the bridge pickup.........I swear it sounds like a les paul ! Roll the tone up up a bit and you get great biting sweet lead tones.

I've been told I'm nuts, but I see a lot of similarity between the two when I play them too.

• Members

Originally posted by Andre XXX

You know - you have a point. Like I said in another thread, I used a guy's Tele one night when I sat in and one of the songs was Good Times/Bad Times by LZ. That neck pup was fat and the bridge pup with the tone rolled back, a little delay and a tube screamer engaged sounded really good. Even the guy who owned the Tele came over and commented that he didn't realize it sounded that good because he never gets to sit out in the audience and hear it played. Until then, that is.

• Members

Originally posted by jas_kidd32

I play a Les Paul because it suits the music I play and gives the sound I want but whenever I pick up a strat at a store, it just feels right at home.

It's like strat is the guitar for me coz I find it very comfortable. Not that Les Paul's are uncomfortable its just chunkier and heavier than a strat, I can live with it but a strat is a lot more comfortable for me.

I just can't dig the strat sound though, and I'm not fond of the look of a strat guitar either.

Didn't Gibson make a thinner Les Paul with a contoured body?

Still make it? I don't know.

I remember when they came out with them, it seemed like a good idea.

• Members

Originally posted by Jimi Ray Halen

You know - you have a point. Like I said in another thread, I used a guy's Tele one night when I sat in and one of the songs was Good Times/Bad Times by LZ. That neck pup was fat and the bridge pup with the tone rolled back, a little delay and a tube screamer engaged sounded really good. Even the guy who owned the Tele came over and commented that he didn't realize it sounded that good because he never gets to sit out in the audience and hear it played. Until then, that is.

......interesting. You know I always loved Mike Cambell's tone ( from Tom Petty and the heartbreakers ).....I mean even if you don't like their music - yo have to admit he gets a great tone.

I read recently that he used a tele on the early hits ( like breakdown ).......great thick crunchy tone that cuts through the mix.

• Members

Originally posted by JC777

Don't take this the wrong way. Sometimes when something is written, it look like it has attitude.

Am I the only player on this site who doesn't have an issue with weigth?

My Strats, My Les Pauls....can't really say I notice a difference.

My chrome bodied reso.... I can tell.

The newer ones are weight relieved-probably 8.5 to 9.5 lbs. Mine's 12 lbs-believe me, you notice.

• Members

Originally posted by des67

Am I the only one that finds a les paul more comfortable than a strat? I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I kinda feel the weight it has about it reassuring, really just something i can get my mits around:)

No, you're not the only one as I find Les Paul's more comfortable to play then Strats. I'm a home/hobby player and do all of my playing sitting down so the weight doesn't bother my back. The biggest problem I have with a Strat is it keeps sliding down my leg towards my knee. I start out with it at a 90 degree angle to my leg and before long it is at a 45 degree angle, but my Les Paul stays right where I put it. Strats are okay, but the Les Paul just feels and sounds better to me.

• Members

Tom Anderson Cobra and the Atom are exactly that - the Les Paul tone in a comfortable guitar....expensive - but great instruments.

I played an older TA pro am with dual hums in a mahogany body some time ago - NAILED the tone of a Les Paul in a strat body style.

• Members

Originally posted by blueshawk1

Didn't Gibson make a thinner Les Paul with a contoured body?

Still make it? I don't know.

I remember when they came out with them, it seemed like a good idea.

They've made several...LP Custom Lite...LP Exotics...The Paul...etc.

None sound exactly like the thick-bodied ones, nor do the DC, IMHO. But obviously "exact" isn't going to happen, if he wants to comprom ise the model, he has to compromise the tone some.

My vote goes for a PRS McCarty, chunkier body and tone the the PRS Customs, a little closer to the LP territory and still very comfortable. But there are lots of great suggestions here.

• Members

Originally posted by jas_kidd32

Are the superstrat everything a normal strat is but with the added floyd, extra frets and hotter pickups? Would a superstrat "feel" like a normal strat and can do the clean strat tone?

"Superstrat" is pretty much a catchall for a hot-rodded Strat. Usually that meant a Floyd or Kramer and aftermarket pickups. Look at all the old Kramer's and you'll note they are identical bodies to a Strat. From there it can be pushed as each company sought their own look and brand, Ibanez and Jackson made smaller bodies, some made carved topped bodies, others dropped falem maople caps on them. The sky is the limit, you can be as traditional or untraditional as you want.

• Members

There's about a million guitars out there with two humbuckers and some kind of mahogany.

I'd just go to the shop and start seeing what catches my eyes and then tickle a few.

You'll know right away which one to tkae home.

Personally, I think superstrats and teles are the cat's meow...

Aloha

Archived