Pro Tools HD Native

• Members

Yeah it looks very promising. Even better is there is a user on the DUC, who states even better things are to come in this new HD native line. So far he has been spot on with everything else they've released lately. I believe right now he's saying that the 4-7 of November is the date. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

The thing I still don't understand, is that this coupled with the new Omni interface, it still only allows 8 channels of I/O. Maybe a future software update will fix this, but right now I think, if I was to get a new HD Native system, I'd probably be more interested in either a used 96 I/O or an HD I/O 8x8x8. Anyways definitely seems Avid is moving PT into a new direction.

• Members

I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this one. Depending on hardware exchange pricing I may look at trading in my 002Rack system for a Pro Tools Native card and an Aurora Lynx or Apogee system sometime next year. Maybe. I want to start hearing actual user reviews first and get more details about the system.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like all their doing is dropping the Mix/TDM/Accel cards and joining the rest of the DAW world. Am I wrong?
:confused:

Essentially what they have done is released a system that is: cheaper than an HD/TDM based system, has more I/O than any LE systems, and relies on the host computer for processing, but still has pretty much everything else Pro Tools HD has.. At the rate computers have increased in processing power TDM cards haven't really kept up in many peoples minds. However I still think Avid has a few more cards up it's sleeves. Will have to wait and see.

• Members

Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds like all their doing is dropping the Mix/TDM/Accel cards and joining the rest of the DAW world. Am I wrong?
:confused:

So far, they haven't dropped those cards; they've just added something between LE & HD. You essentially get all the software of PT HD w/o the extra TDM horsepower.

-Dan.

• Members

PTN is essentially Cubase or Logic, with slightly less features and a gigantic dongle. For a lot more money.

When you toss the DSP you are relying on the same near zero latency method as any other native daw which is via the interface. Whereas PTHD allows you to monitor through the software via DSP with near zero latency so adding tons of plugs wasn't an issue. That's really the difference. Monitoring during tracking was really easy with regular HD, but with Native it's the same "work-around" as with any other pro DAW.

So I really don't see any reason to get excited. If you reall like the user interface (which many consider to be simpler than Cubase/Logic), then it's better than being stuff with LE, but not as expensive as regular HD. But it is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than any comparable DAW + Interface combination. Or, if you absolutely need the compatibility with other studios (ie. you are a tracking studio, etc.), then it's a cheaper ticket.

Otherwise, they are pretty much relying on the name brand. Not saying there's nothing wrong with that. They should sell it for as much as they can get. But it is pretty much a fact that it is no better than Cubase + an 828.

• Members

PTN is essentially Cubase or Logic, with slightly less features

If all you're working on is music, maybe. However, I have yet to hear of anyone doing post on Cubase or Logic.

For a lot more money.

More? Yes. A lot more? Not really.

PTN is $3500 for the software and the interface card.

Nuendo 5 is $1800 just for the software. An SSL, Lynx, or RME interface card will run you $850-$1600.

On the mac side, Logic is $500 and an Apogee Symphony 64 is $900 - cheaper, but still a fair bit of cash. Personally, I'd rather chew glass than use Logic.

At most, we're talking about a difference of about $2000, which is a lot of money to a hobbyist, but relatively little to a business (who are the true customers for this product). If an extra $2K helps you run your business more smoothly, then it's a good investment.

-Dan.

Archived