Solid, reasonably priced (err, cheap) audio cables...where?

• Members

I know this has been asked before but I can't find the posts... I'm looking to buy the necessary balanced male TRS-to-TRS cables (for the most part) to hook up my almost ready to go home studio. Where can I buy the most reasonably priced, good cable? Many thanks and have a great Holiday Season!

• Members

Just make your own.

Cables are simple. Stupid simple. Really. Go to an electronics store, get some good balanced audio cable, Neutrik connectors and a soldering iron. With a little soldering iron skill (it's easy) you can make a cable in 5 - 10 minutes including setup time. The ones I have made sound just as good as my $50 Mogamis and cost me a lot less. They feel good/tough, they wrap easily, don't get kinks and they haven't failed me yet! And if they did fail it wouldn't be a big loss, I'd just replace or cut out the broken part and move on with my life. ;)

I agree with the previous suggestions - the Hosa stuff is just fine, especially if you're not repatching 25 times a day. And if you want to make your own cables, it's not difficult to do. Learn how to solder (an essential studio skill anyway IMO), buy good quality (Belden, Canare, Mogami) cable in bulk, use good connectors (Switchcraft / Neutrik) and make your own.

• Members

Regarding making one's own cables....

If you are making long cables, it will save you money. However, if you need a lot of short cables, molded stuff like HOSA cables will generally come out the same or cheaper just because they can be mass produced. Also bear in mind that it does take a lot of time to make cables.

Personally, I only bother to make the specialty cables where I need certain connections, or exact lengths, or I need very high quality cable (hi-impedence, or other reasons, that would require shelling out for the bling bling cable I don't want to pay for).

• Members

Only one place to look for good and very reasonably priced cables: Monoprice.com

Wow, looks impressive. I'll have to give them a try some time.

One other option that may be worth checking out: if you have an independent pro audio dealer in your vicinity, they may have a selection of non-molded, no frills cables. These are occasionally "house brand" cables using Neutrik connectors, but I've seen them branded Pro Co or even Peavey. I've bought several from Gelb and Leo's in the Bay Area and I've never had one fail. Price is about twice of what monoprice charges for the same length cable, though.

Archived