Protools HD from a mac how do i open it on my Le Pc

• Members

I have a client that wants to work with me on a body of work that is in HD format and using version 9. I currently have 8 and will go to 9le on my PC. Will I be able to work on the Mac HD 9 files after the upgrade? I just tried using LE 8 and got major errors.

Thanks

Tim Mayock

• Members

What errors? As long as they're using WAV or AIFF files you should just be able to open the session.... Is it possible they saved it with plugins enabled? Some plugins aren't happy opening on the other platform (AT)... In PT9 open the session while holding down the Shift modifier to disable plugins. In PT8 Import the session data without plugins.

Rail

• Members

I no longer have the media and did not write down the error number. In protools 8 would i make a new session and import all tracks?

You should be able to import any WAV or AIFF files and import them without a problem.

Also, just to let you know, there's no "Pro Tools LE". Avid dispensed with the "LE" monicker.

• Members

I am at it again with the media. I get a message "cannot transfer 5-14: cannot read from source file. this happens when i try to copy the file to my internal audio drive (NTFS) from an external. This is a Macintosh HFS+ file system on the external. I get nowhere when i open a new file and try to import all the audio files some are wav and some are aiff. I can't import a singe file.

Thanks

Tim

I no longer have the media and did not write down the error number. In protools 8 would i make a new session and import all tracks?

You could do it that way. In Pro Tools 9, you should be able to create a new session, then import session data from the other session. That way, you can be very specific about what you want to import. Just the audio. The panning and volume automation. Mutes. Plugins. Busses and aux tracks, virtual instruments - you can pick and choose exactly what you do and do not want.

I move back and forth between my MacBook (PT9) and PC (PT HD Accel 8.1) and I've never had a problem with opening sessions. Even when I was running PTLE 8 on the Mac, I still didn't run into any problems that I didn't expect. For example, you're not going to get any TDM plugins on the LE system; those plugin slots will be greyed out. If the HD project has more busses and outputs in use than the LE system supports, there will be some problems and reconfiguration involved - but that's to be expected.

Pro Tools 9 is a fantastic program, and it really does give you a huge chunk of the software tools that were only available on HD systems in the past. I definitely recommend the upgrade.

I am at it again with the media. I get a message "cannot transfer 5-14: cannot read from source file. this happens when i try to copy the file to my internal audio drive (NTFS) from an external. This is a Macintosh HFS+ file system on the external. I get nowhere when i open a new file and try to import all the audio files some are wav and some are aiff. I can't import a singe file.

Thanks

Tim

Use a FAT32 formatted drive for the file transfers (I use a 32GB thumb drive as often as not) or get MacDrive or a similar utility. A stock Win 7 / Vista / XP file system won't read / copy / write to a HFS+ formatted drive without it.

Archived