Are Gibson Les Pauls overpriced? Even used ones?

New Trail

• Members

Remember beer can collecting in the 1970's? Some beer cans sold for 500 bucks! I still see them on Ebay but the prices dropped a lot these days. Same with Beenie Babies. Some of those sold for 700 bucks at one time. Same thing will happen with Les Pauls eventually and some idiots will be left holding the bag. There's just nothing special about them and they can be mass produced. In 10 years having a "Joe Perry Signature Les Paul" will have all the status of owning an "Arthur Godfrey Signature Ukelele" does today. Wanna buy a 1960's muscle car? I mean instead of a new Porsche that costs the same. Have fun with that.

• Members

That sounds like a very good price, provided a few things: the hardware is all in good working order, the pots and knobs are crackle free, the switch is crackle free, the posts and bridge are stable, there's no obvious neck warpage, and the frets are decent, and that there aren't any signs of major repair or replacements having been done to it.

If it meets all of those, and it feels good, that is an excellent price! New, they will usually run between $500 to 800 dollars higher, minimum.

As to whether they are overpriced in general, there's a lot of talk about that issue. Some say yes, some say no. Basically, they're priced the way they are priced - is it worth it to YOU is really the only pertinent question.

If you find Gibsons too high priced, you may want to look towards some of the mid to higher tier Epiphones...while they're not generally *quite* as good quality, some of them can give the American made LP's a run for their money. Some people here also rave about Agiles, which will go for significantly less money than a Gibson. I've never tried one personally, so I can't give you advice on them.

• Members

I think there is a certain price that entry level instruments command. Then you have mid level and pro quality. Then custom stuff that is just ornate, etc.

To me, a Les Paul Standard is mid level to pro. $1300 is about right. $3,500 is just not acceptable for most of the stuff I have seen from Gibson.

Jack

• Members

I don't think we've seen anything yet! Inflation is happening. Gas prices are going up. The US $ is not holding too well against the Euro and the Canadian $ is catching up.

Are Gibson's over priced? Sadly,...mostly if you're underpaid.:(

• Members

Originally posted by B.C.Bud

I don't think we've seen anything yet! Inflation is happening. Gas prices are going up. The US $ is not holding too well against the Euro and the Canadian $ is catching up.

Are Gibson's over priced? Sadly,...mostly if you're underpaid.
:(

Gas is going up? It's back under $2 a gallon 'round here.

• Members

Gas is going up? It's back under $2 a gallon 'round here.

Its dropped to under 84p a litre in the UK, it was 99+ 6 weeks ago. Mmmm.... Holiday season ended and fuel prices dropped, price gouging anyone? They'll be back up around Christmas/New Year then down again.

OP, that LP is a good price.

• Members
Originally posted by marauder6666

Its dropped to under 84p a litre in the UK, it was 99+ 6 weeks ago. Mmmm.... Holiday season ended and fuel prices dropped, price gouging anyone? They'll be back up around Christmas/New Year then down again.

OP, that LP is a good price.

Um, ever heard of a little concept called supply and demand?

• Members

Originally posted by New Trail

A local store has a '99 Gibson Les Paul Standard for $1300. Seems a bit pricey to me! Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong. I own a ESP EC-1000 that will detroy any Gibson Les Paul CStd or Custom

Gibsons Les Paul Customs new = $699

Gibson Les Paul Std = $549

Gibson is overpriced outdated nostalgic goods

• Members

Originally posted by New Trail

A local store has a '99 Gibson Les Paul Standard for $1300. Seems a bit pricey to me! Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong. I own a ESP EC-1000 that will destroy any Gibson Les Paul CStd or Custom

Gibsons Les Paul Customs new = $699

Gibson Les Paul Std = $549

• Members

Originally posted by warriorpoet

Here I though Gibsons were simply $150 worth of wood
:confused:

Many people resist when I told them that. I really dont think there is a single electric or acoustic guitar out on the market worth more the $500 brand new with a case

I would love to see guitar prices come to te ballpark range of $300 for neck through electrics and solid wood acoustics with a case

• Members

$1300 is way too much for a 99 Les Paul. During that period, Les Paul Classics were the guitars to have.

Gibson updated the Standards in 2002 reintroducing the correct body shape, neck angle, headstock shape, etc.

I would not pay more than $1000 for a Standard from 1999.

• Members

Originally posted by docjeffrey

$1300 is way too much for a 99 Les Paul. During that period, Les Paul Classics were the guitars to have.

Gibson updated the Standards in 2002 reintroducing the correct body shape, neck angle, headstock shape, etc.

I would not pay more than $1000 for a Standard from 1999.

I was thinking the same thing.

On a side note to other posts, the Customs are worth quite a bit more due to Custom Shop quality. The Gibson LP is a $800 guitar with a $2200 price tag. True story. However, due to their marketing they're able to create demand by price increases. Bizarro world, sure, but its true.

So when we see these studio's at $999 its a frenzy. When the damn things still are overpriced for what they are....lol.

• Members

Originally posted by spiritofsparta

Dont forget this part

Overpriced yes, outdated no.

If it was outdated, every manufacturer, with the exception of Fender, wouldn't be making their version of the LP including your beloved ESP.

As far as your defense of ESP. I'm not aware of any ESP's much below a grand, most are well over it.

So are you throwing ESP into the overpriced junk category too?

• Members

Originally posted by JC777

Overpriced yes, outdated no.

If it was outdated, every manufacturer, with the exception of Fender, wouldn't be making their version of the LP including your beloved ESP.

As far as your defense of ESP. I'm not aware of any ESP's much below a grand, most are well over it.

So are you throwing ESP into the overpriced junk category too?

He doesnt have an ESP.... he has an LTD, but he likes to feel better about himself by inflating the status of his instrument:o

Archived