Are Gibson Les Pauls overpriced? Even used ones?

New Trail

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

He doesnt have an ESP.... he has an LTD, but he likes to feel better about himself by inflating the status of his instrument:o

Hey I've played an LTD and ESP side by side (Hanneman $3000, JH-600 $949) and preferred the LTD. :mad:

• Members

Originally posted by spiritofsparta

Many people resist when I told them that. I really dont think there is a single electric or acoustic guitar out on the market worth more the $500 brand new with a case

I would love to see guitar prices come to te ballpark range of $300 for neck through electrics and solid wood acoustics with a case

Man, shut up.

• Members

Originally posted by spiritofsparta

Many people resist when I told them that. I really dont think there is a single electric or acoustic guitar out on the market worth more the $500 brand new with a case

I would love to see guitar prices come to te ballpark range of $300 for neck through electrics and solid wood acoustics with a case

LOL - Don't confuse COST with PRICE. Once software is developed and the costs are recovered, you are paying for the intellectual property, not the cost of a CD and time to burn it.

As long as people are willing and able to spend $2500 for a Les Paul, that is where the price will remain. Basic economics. It is up to the consumer to decided what products to spend their money on. Gibson could make millions of guitars and price them at $2.5K each. If no one bought them, they would have to react or go out of business.

Jack

• Members

$1300 LP Standard from 1999? They'll get that all day long. It's probably gone by now, so you won't be able to buy it, anyway.

Listen, here's my plan:

I intend to be a good, good boy, for however many years I have left. No murdering anyone, no stealing from children or old ladies, no nasty behavior, period. Why? Because I seriously want to avoid going to HELL. What's the big deal with hell, you ask?

Well ...I recently learned, from a very holy and devout friend who speaks to God all the time, that hell is much worse than I'd thought. Here's the deal with hell:

In hell, every single frickin' day starts off with some fine soul asking why Gibsons are overpriced. Then there is a discussion about exactly HOW Gibson overprices their guitars. The favorite theory is that they CREATE DEMAND by increasing prices. For Gibson, and Gibson alone, the normal laws of supply and demand don't work.

Discussion (in hell) continues up until lunch. "How much is a Gibson really worth?" ask the discusants. Various prices are suggested. $300, $500, $800, $999. Much discussion is directed at the individual components and features of the Gibson LP standard -- the SUBstandard finish, (get it?) the cheap hardware, and so forth.

Finally, it's time for lunch! The featured speaker during the meal explains the marketing psychology of Gibson. People are being fooled into thinking that STATUS can be obtained through Gibson LP Standard ownership. People are fools. The marketplace is broken regarding Gibson. The real musicians avoid Gibson, while the poseurs (that's a fancy-boy frenchified version of posers. In fact, it's actually french) will scoop up all the Gibsons they can lay their hands on.

After lunch, individual conversations focus on Gibson, and the poor value the guitars offer to anyone foolish enough to buy one. Special attention is given to the extremely poor RESALE value of Gibsons. For anyone stupid enough to have bought one in the first place. The only thing worse than the low resale prices of Gibson LP's is the HIGH resale value -- brought about by the poseurs and no-nothings who are stupid enough to pay an inflated price.

The core premise, down in hell, is simple. The value of Gibsons is not set by Gibson, they only set the price. And the value is not set by the marketplace, because the market is made of individuals, and the individual people are fools. The value of Gibsons is simply recognized -- by any sensible person -- as low. Gibson value is low because it IS low. Any *apparent* value, based on resales, new sales, reputation, artist endorsements, or any other indice, is an illusion!

The (silly) Japanese are hoarding LP Standards! They have them plastered into the walls of their homes, stashed under the bed, stacked in the trunks of their cars. Some day, there will be a crash.

On and on, the hellish process drags on. It's a combination of watching paint dry and watching The Brady Bunch. Here comes Alice, the housekeeper. Oh, look, that section of the wall looks as though it might be tack-dry. Alice has made brownies today! Haha -- she doesn't realize that Mr. Brady has just discovered from his doctor that his sneezing is caused by brownies! Alice is silly. Oh, look! The paint is still a bit wet!

Finally, dinnertime. The keynote speaker! The topic: Gibson Quality Control. Day-yum.

You get the picture. I do not want to be involved in the day I just described. And that's just one day. All the other days are exactly the same. No, thanks anyway.

So it is essential that I be a good boy. I say the proper prayers, every night. I return my library books on time. I pay my taxes. I may even donate blood. Anything. To. Avoid. Hell.

P.S. -- I hear that a Gibson has a REAL worth of maybe $15. Is this true? Maybe I should sell off my Beanie Babies, beer cans, and baseball cards on the bay and get a LP Standard while they're still cheap!!!

• Members
Originally posted by guitarNed

$1300 LP Standard from 1999? They'll get that all day long. It's probably gone by now, so you won't be able to buy it, anyway.

Listen, here's my plan:

I intend to be a good, good boy, for however many years I have left. No murdering anyone, no stealing from children or old ladies, no nasty behavior, period. Why? Because I seriously want to avoid going to HELL. What's the big deal with hell, you ask?

Well ...I recently learned, from a very holy and devout friend who speaks to God all the time, that hell is much worse than I'd thought. Here's the deal with hell:

In hell, every single frickin' day starts off with some fine soul asking why Gibsons are overpriced. Then there is a discussion about exactly HOW Gibson overprices their guitars. The favorite theory is that they CREATE DEMAND by increasing prices. For Gibson, and Gibson alone, the normal laws of supply and demand don't work.

Discussion (in hell) continues up until lunch. "How much is a Gibson really worth?" ask the discusants. Various prices are suggested. $300, $500, $800, $999. Much discussion is directed at the individual components and features of the Gibson LP standard -- the SUBstandard finish, (get it?) the cheap hardware, and so forth.

Finally, it's time for lunch! The featured speaker during the meal explains the marketing psychology of Gibson. People are being fooled into thinking that STATUS can be obtained through Gibson LP Standard ownership. People are fools. The marketplace is broken regarding Gibson. The real musicians avoid Gibson, while the poseurs (that's a fancy-boy frenchified version of posers. In fact, it's actually french) will scoop up all the Gibsons they can lay their hands on.

After lunch, individual conversations focus on Gibson, and the poor value the guitars offer to anyone foolish enough to buy one. Special attention is given to the extremely poor RESALE value of Gibsons. For anyone stupid enough to have bought one in the first place. The only thing worse than the low resale prices of Gibson LP's is the HIGH resale value -- brought about by the poseurs and no-nothings who are stupid enough to pay an inflated price.

The core premise, down in hell, is simple. The value of Gibsons is not set by Gibson, they only set the price. And the value is not set by the marketplace, because the market is made of individuals, and the individual people are fools. The value of Gibsons is simply recognized -- by any sensible person -- as low. Gibson value is low because it IS low. Any *apparent* value, based on resales, new sales, reputation, artist endorsements, or any other indice, is an illusion!

The (silly) Japanese are hoarding LP Standards! They have them plastered into the walls of their homes, stashed under the bed, stacked in the trunks of their cars. Some day, there will be a crash.

On and on, the hellish process drags on. It's a combination of watching paint dry and watching The Brady Bunch. Here comes Alice, the housekeeper. Oh, look, that section of the wall looks as though it might be tack-dry. Alice has made brownies today! Haha -- she doesn't realize that Mr. Brady has just discovered from his doctor that his sneezing is caused by brownies! Alice is silly. Oh, look! The paint is still a bit wet!

Finally, dinnertime. The keynote speaker! The topic: Gibson Quality Control. Day-yum.

You get the picture. I do not want to be involved in the day I just described. And that's just one day. All the other days are exactly the same. No, thanks anyway.

So it is essential that I be a good boy. I say the proper prayers, every night. I return my library books on time. I pay my taxes. I may even donate blood. Anything. To. Avoid. Hell.

P.S. -- I hear that a Gibson has a REAL worth of maybe $15. Is this true? Maybe I should sell off my Beanie Babies, beer cans, and baseball cards on the bay and get a LP Standard while they're still cheap!!! [/quote

:love::wave::D:thu::eek:

Archived