Why is string bending so easy on Strats?

apostrophe

• Members

Are they designed to bend all over the place? Everytime I play a Strat I can bend that sucka' all over the fretboard.

My Dot strung with 11-49's don't bend like that. Even when I had 10's on there they didn't bend like that!

So is that just the nature of the Strat? What if you put 11's on it? Would they still bend like crazy?!

Thinking of buying myself a Strat soon and I have no clue about them other than the ones I have played have felt like butter! :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by dwerlin

i'm pretty sure it's due to the fretboard radius. Fenders (most of them) have a 9.5" radius. Gibsons (and Epiphones) have a 12" radius.

Yup. You're applying force from the fingertip towards the palm and can use your wrist as apivot point, whereas with Gibbys it's more of an extending the fingers movement.

• Members

Originally posted by apostrophe

Ok how about this:

Chances are that all Strats in a store are strung with 9's, hence the semmingly easy bending?

That's what it is. Fender sets up their guitars with ridiculously light strings. Play with 10's or 11's, it evens it up some what. There may be other factors, too. Maybe the strat you played had larger frets.

But the radius should work the opposite way. A tighter radius (like ona strat) is harder to bend.

I have 2 strats, one is harder to bend than the other. The one that's tougher to bend on has vintage size frets :mad:, which are smalelr than the medium jumbos on the easy-bender.

• Moderators

Originally posted by apostrophe

Are they designed to bend all over the place? Everytime I play a Strat I can bend that sucka' all over the fretboard.

My Dot strung with 11-49's don't bend like that. Even when I had 10's on there they didn't bend like that!

So is that just the nature of the Strat? What if you put 11's on it? Would they still bend like crazy?!

Thinking of buying myself a Strat soon and I have no clue about them other than the ones I have played have felt like butter!
:cool:

Because God makes it easier:cool:

• Members

Funny how subjective something like this is. I actually find string bending to require a significant amount more effort on a Strat than on a Les Paul, and I use 9's for all my guitars. Neither is difficult, per se...it's just I feel more resistance on the Strat.

Archived