Why is string bending so easy on Strats?

apostrophe

• Members

There are two things I can think of that have an effect on that.

1) Fenders have a very slight break angle at the nut and a lot of string between the nut and the tuner. All that string can stretch when you bend, and the low break angle allows more of it to move back and forth over the nut. Of course, you better have a well made, well lubed nut.

2) the trem is usually set up to give some when you bend. This also results in a somewhat reduced bending force.

I can't see how fretboard radius or frets for that matter will really have any effect - I mean frets should be pretty similar between guitars, and the radius is only an issue when "fretting out". If anything that would lead to a higher action which would work against you.

I find the finished maple fretboards to be slicker, but I don't think that really has much effect on bending.

Walt

• Members

If you take a Strat and Les Paul and string them with the same gauge strings it will be more difficult to bend the strings on the strat.

Lighter gauge strings are more than likely responsible for seemingly less effort being required to bend on the guitar in question.

Archived