URGENT! Guitar Repair - Follow Up

bluehuricane

• Members

ok, once again, i suck with pictures, so i'll get them when i can.

I glued the neck, and i thought everything was fine, until i put on the high e string. at first it seemed ok, until i look at it and noticed that the action steadily gets higher as the string goes away from the nut, until it's about an inch above the fretboard. is this something i can fix by adjusting the truss rod? or did i eff up completely?

• Members
Originally posted by bluehuricane

can the truss rod be adjusted that much?

No. But maybe it's something else. For instance make sure your nut is fully seated. If the parts went back together tight it should be right back where it was pre-break. I don't remember if I saw your original post of the damage...is that a set neck? (because the neck screws could have also loostened which would account for a radically higher action). Man, post some pictures asap. Maybe we can spot something.

• Members
Originally posted by bluehuricane

problem is, i didn't use hide glue, i don't think i can steam it loose. it's not really an inch, i checked and it's more like half an inch. can the truss rod be adjusted that much?

A truss rod adjustment can't fix this problem. But, a guitar never looks right with one string on it.

I told you to make sure to use glue that would steam apart. What can I say....that was a bad move. :cry:

Put all six strings on and adjust them as tight as you can, and maybe the neck will snap apart. :freak:

• Members

I too missed the project, but going from what you are saying here, you can't compensate with the truss rod like that. They are not made for adjusting action, they just happen to have that affect when adjusted.

The rod should be set slightly straight or with a slight relief and that is it. That will then determine if you can simply adjust the bridge or you'll need to reset the neck again. Tightenig the rod too much would create a back bow and your first few frets would be useless at that point

• Members

bluehuricane,

Don't attempt anymore repair. You may make the guitar worse. At this point, just bring the guitar to a tech for repair.

You don't have to tell the tech that you tried to repair it. And, maybe the estimate will be lower if they don't know you used something other than Hide Glue. :eek:

Archived