A good, small cheap modeling amp?

Devinstation

• Members

Originally posted by Geeter

I have a vox ad15vt, which I love. I would get the ad30vt if I had to do it again.

Not to hijack, but do those valvestate amps sound like real tube amps? I'm contemplating one as a cheaper alternative to a Blues Junior

• Members

Originally posted by Townshend

Not to hijack, but do those valvestate amps sound like real tube amps? I'm contemplating one as a cheaper alternative to a Blues Junior

The Valvestates are their solid state amps. The AD and VR series use the valve reactor technology, which does use a tube to mimic tube power amp operation. In some respects, they do the tube amp sound better than tube amps do, because of the power output level knob on the AD30VT (but not the 15), which lets you get a cranked sound at lower volume. They do sound like tube amps, even to the point where it is difficult to get a really clean solid state clean sound, like a Roland JC type sound.

• Members

Originally posted by bdegrande

The Valvestates are their solid state amps. The AD and VR series use the valve reactor technology, which does use a tube to mimic tube power amp operation. In some respects, they do the tube amp sound better than tube amps do, because of the power output level knob on the AD30VT (but not the 15), which lets you get a cranked sound at lower volume. They do sound like tube amps, even to the point where it is difficult to get a really clean solid state clean sound, like a Roland JC type sound.

+1

• Members

Originally posted by bdegrande

Thanks! I'll definitely look in to 30w then.

• Members

I didn't care for the two Vox AD30VTs that I had (one with aftermarket speaker). The overdriven tones were OK, but sounded a bit digital and fizzy, especially with sustaining notes. The notes just sort of fizzled out a bit. But they were OK.

I personally couldn't find a good clean tone. All the clean models were pretty cheesy--super bright, super thin, and super plunky on the treble strings. I prefer a thicker, slightly darker clean tone myself though.

Oh and that attenuator thing was a joke. It was basically just another master volume. It's nothing like a real attenuator.

I really like my Microcube to be honest. It's perfect for home practice and sounds quite good to boot.

• Members

Maybe a Marshall?I don't know about the new ones but I have this 1998 G-15 CDR and it is the best little bedroom amp that I have had.You can also get one of these for less than $50 used and use pedals instead of getting an amp with built-in FXs.I like this particular model because of the open back design and real spring reverb.It has a bigger sound than my little Fender SS.Also the dual gain controls really give it alot of flexabilty and if you need a real bedroom amp that sounds great without waking the kids this is the best one I've found and I had a few.

amps_edited.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Godot

Tech 21 Trademark 10

+1

I have the Trademark 60 and it's like 30 pounds and sounds fantastic...very versitile and loud. Probably one of the most underrated amps ever. Doesn't have any of the fancy digital effects, but it does have a switchable loop and boost. Made in the USA if you care.

I'm sure the 10 would sound just as nice in a smaller package. They've been discontinued so you'll have to go used. Check out the links below for some sound samples. They really sound just as good as on their site. In fact, every effeort was made to record the samples in a way almost anyone can accomplish (for the TM60 samples anyway): SM57 on the cone mixed left and direct mixed right using a Yamaha Pacifica.

Check out sound samples here: http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm10.html

Bigger brother:

http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html

My model (lots of sound samples here):

http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm60.html

BTW-I don't work for them or sell their gear, just love the sound of them!

• Members

For a small practice amp with a very nice tone and volume, the Roland Cube 15 can't be beat...except NOW I see they've come out with the Roland Cube15x which has more efx to play with. AND they've got the Roland Cube 20x...now things are getting interesting... :evil:

• Members

Originally posted by planetcaravan13

I bought a Behringer gm110 last week and I am impressed. 3 amps, 3 gains, and 3 cabs. I have a JCM800 2204 w/2x12 and a Gh100TI Laneyw/4x12 I wanted something smaller to practice on and save my ears until I perfect it.

+1 I worked on one of these awhile back. I was really impressed with it

Archived