Looks like there was an Agile/EBMM lawsuit...

TheMadMonk

• Members
Originally posted by nevermind

I think JJ was meaning it was good Kurt fessed up and took his punishment like a man, not that it was a good thing he was shafting the man.

And yes, it is the headstock EB protects. The OLP version even says something to that effect on the reverse of the headstock.

you might as well {censored} him in the ear, cuz he don't listen :wave:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

What I worry about most is how more mutant-looking the Rondo selection will become as it continues to avoid infringement suits. Really, if you don't go to Rondo's site for a year or so (I know, I did this) and then you go back to check it out, some of the guitars look like guitars that that evil kid in Toy Story I would make.

• Members

Originally posted by nevermind

I think JJ was meaning it was good Kurt fessed up and took his punishment like a man, not that it was a good thing he was shafting the man.

And yes, it is the headstock EB protects. The OLP version even says something to that effect on the reverse of the headstock.

I don't think that posting an apology on your website because another company threatens to sue you into oblivion is being "a man." If he wanted to be a man, he would have nixed the production plans for the model when he saw the original plans thinking to himself, "Gee, this might not be the most ethical run of guitars I ever make."

As for JJ...hey, man...I don't know what you're problem is, but if all those "{censored} him in the ear" remark are toward me, then I am disappointed in you.

I always thought we had a decent relationship on here, and I thought you were a broad-minded member of the HC community. Do I deserve a lot of guff from you because I am voicing my little opinion about Agile and Rondo and Kurt?

I know I don't.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

I don't think that posting an apology on your website because another company threatens to sue you into oblivion is being "a man." If he wanted to be a man, he would have nixed the production plans for the model when he saw the original plans thinking to himself, "Gee, this might not be the most ethical run of guitars I ever make."

I don't think Kurt has any say in what designs SX produces.

• Members

As for JJ...hey, man...I don't know what you're problem is, but if all those "{censored} him in the ear" remark are toward me, then I am disappointed in you.

I always thought we had a decent relationship on here, and I thought you were a broad-minded member of the HC community. Do I deserve a lot of guff from you because I am voicing my little opinion about Agile and Rondo and Kurt?

I know I don't.

Is this necessary, JJ?
:rolleyes:

Like, "good for Kurt for avoiding a lawsuit for importing and selling counterfeit guitars." (JJ's note: this is neither what I said nor what I meant)

I mean, Kurt's a businessman. It's not like Ernie Ball is "the man" trying to take him down.

I don't know, why is it that Rondo can do "no wrong?"

Nothing up my ass, and I'm not being nasty, JJ. Chill out.

Oh, well...

:rolleyes:

oh yeah, I just came at you out of nowhere, didn't I? all teeth and claws

jeeeesus, dude

• Members

Like, "good for Kurt for avoiding a lawsuit for importing and selling counterfeit guitars."

I mean, Kurt's a businessman. It's not like Ernie Ball is "the man" trying to take him down.

counterfeit usually applies to guitars that you can't tell apart from the original. That all said, I can't really say I'm sorry, as they look like the ugliest guitars I've ever seen. I know you should judge based on sound, etc, but wow... to each his own I suppose.

• Members

So then you're saying it should be every retailer's responsibility to thoroughly investigate the patents and copyrights of every piece of inventory they sell?

Shouldn't that fall on the manufacturer?

Kurt was notified that this piece was a violation and did what he was asked to do . . . I don't see the big issue.

Why doesn't EBMM go after SX for having made the things? Or have they?

And why don't these companies get that you have to change the headstock up a bit by now? I see they already altered the horn shape. They could probably even get away with the 4+2 tuner layout if the rest of the headstock was shaped a bit differently.

• Members
Originally posted by Armitage

seg2-2.jpg

Armitage_Ernie_Ball_Music_Man_Axis.jpg

But these don't look ANYTHING alike... I can see how he was confused and wouldn't think there was a problem...

Yep. Clearly different shape, and one says "SX".

I can see how guitar buying musicians could easily confuse SX with ErnieBallMusicMan.

wow...people are dumb.

• Members

Originally posted by Kace

Why doesn't EBMM go after SX for having made the things? Or have they?

And why don't these companies get that you have to change the headstock up a bit by now?

SX isn't an American company. EBMM may not have any choice but to go after dealers.

I'm sure companies get the headstock thing. They also get that the closer a knock-off looks to the real thing, the more likely people are to buy it. I guess they figure they'll make a profit off the guitars before a cease & desist order shows up.

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

several folks here got one - I wonder how they like them after the honeymoon

I'll tell you about the one I got.

The damned thing doesn't want to stay in tune (because no matter how tight you lock the nut, the strings slip) and the bridge on it sucks (creeks and feels like it's catching somewhere). The finish on the back of the neck needs some "finishing" touches. BUT!!! The pickups, surprisingly kick ass!!!

I'm sure after a bit of work, I'll get it up to snuff (change out floyd, replace locking nut, and redoing the back of the neck) and it'll be a perfect guitar-o-machine.

• Members

As far as the counterfeit thing...I can't believe that Rondo is getting the sympathy that they are from you folks.

Okay, so it's not a couterfeit because it is not meant to decieve, but still...aside from the name on the headstock, it is a counterfieit. It it was on eBay being sold from China you'd all be, "oh, why doesn't eBay stop this buisness?"

Further, Kurt has had a hand in Agile design and production, so I was only assuming that he might have "okayed" the order that SX was making for him. It's not as if they just showed up at his doorstep and he said, "Aw, {censored}. I think I'll sell these!"

It's his choice, he did not have to sell them at all. No one forced him.

But, EB is forcing him to kiss some butt. However, in doing so, I'm not sure why he turns out to be a hero or a "man" or "gentelmanly" or "whatever."

He could clearly be in court. If that wasn't a threat, then we would not be having this conversation.

• Members

Originally posted by Save The Pine Weasel

SX isn't an American company. EBMM may not have any choice but to go after dealers.

I'm sure companies get the headstock thing. They also get that the closer a knock-off looks to the real thing, the more likely people are to buy it. I guess they figure they'll make a profit off the guitars before a cease & desist order shows up.

Yeah - I gues Ernie Ball & Co. doesn't have enough balls to go after the MANUFACTURER of the offender (China, of course) - they would rather go after an American retailer & then boast about it on their worthless website, so all their minions will praise them.

{censored} them - and their worthless products.

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

EBMM actually makes some fantastic instruments and other products. Given the choice would you really pick that {censored} SX over a EBMM axis. Seriously, its not that hard to not counterfeit something. Just dont do it.

Oh really?

Would you would rather spend $1000+ for the Ernie Ball name - or would you rather find someone that sells SX ({censored}, as you call it)guitars from Team International for 1/10 the price?

I gig in my basemet & bedroom - a home noodler. Why the hell would I want to pay those bastards $1000 or more for one of their guitars when I can get one for a substantial discount?

I belong to the JJ Pistols School of Inexpensive Guitars - there ain't a guitar in the world that should cost more than $200.

Tell ya what - you spend all your money on so-called expensive guitars - I'll stick with what I know.

Archived