Christian Rock Guitar God! Billy Gibbons brother??? See for yourself..

curseoftruth

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ratkent

New avatar for someone please.

Preacherrock.jpg

I love that he's using a wireless. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by DenverDave

That would be John Schiltt, lead singer for Petra for the past 20 years or so, and before that the lead singer for Head East.

Yeah, I grew up on Petra. Beyond Belief, Unseen Power, Wake Up Call; not many bands hit their stride like that. Those were great rock albums, much better than most of the mainstream rock of the day.

His solo albums were what made me decide to play guitar. I just had to learn the guitar part on "Don't Look Back." Ironicly, a decade later I still havn't learned it.:(

• Members
Originally posted by HMKRich

AudioA's Bloom is one of the top 5 albums ever made, IMO.

I don't know about that, but its a great album and the only Audio A album worth anything. It came out during the heyday of Christian rock (1995-'96) and I can credit the music from that period for pulling me away from country-pop at the age of 12. Thanks guys. Some other important albums of that time:

DC Talk-Jesus Freak
Jars of Clay- S/T
Third Day- S/T
Newsboys- Take Me to Your Leader
PFR-Them (best Christian pop/rock album ever?-criminally underrated)

None of these bands have come anywhere close to the level of these albums since then. DC Talk fell apart shortly thereafter; Third Day became the face of coporate Christian crap rock; Jars of Clay became interesting but pretentious; Newsboys put out 2 good albums (Love Liberty Disco/Thrive) but Peter Furler led them down the path of popular praise n worship; PFR broke up, came back together in 2001 to record another near-perfect album, Disappear, but broke up afterwards...

Since then, Christian rock has become more derivative than ever before. Just abunch of emo and Creed/Nickleback copycats with indie copycats coming onboard now. I went to Cornerstone Fla last year...wow...the only really original performer was Starflyer 59, whose style preceded current indie trends by about 10 years, a true innovator, just like WinterHaven :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by gorebuc

I don't know about that, but its a great album and the only Audio A album worth anything. It came out during the heyday of Christian rock (1995-'96) and I can credit the music from that period for pulling me away from country-pop at the age of 12. Thanks guys. Some other important albums of that time:

DC Talk-Jesus Freak

Jars of Clay- S/T

Third Day- S/T

None of these bands have come anywhere close to the level of these albums since then. DC Talk fell apart shortly thereafter; Third Day became the face of coporate Christian crap rock; Jars of Clay became interesting but pretentious; Newsboys put out 2 good albums (Love Liberty Disco/Thrive) but Peter Furler led them down the path of popular praise n worship; PFR broke up, came back together in 2001 to record another near-perfect album, Disappear, but broke up afterwards...

Since then, Christian rock has become more derivative than ever before. Just abunch of emo and Creed/Nickleback copycats with indie copycats coming onboard now. I went to Cornerstone Fla last year...wow...the only really original performer was Starflyer 59, whose style preceded current indie trends by about 10 years, a true innovator, just like WinterHaven
:thu:

I agree 110% on Them. I have to say I prefer Some Kind of Zombie to Bloom, however.

If you're looking for a phenominally underrated project from that era, check out flying from Grammatrain.

• Members
Originally posted by warriorpoet

I agree 110% on Them. I have to say I prefer Some Kind of Zombie to Bloom, however.

If you're looking for a phenominally underrated project from that era, check out flying from Grammatrain.

I admit, I never listened to Zombie. Alot of my friends were into that one; soon after it, however, Audio A put out like 2 CD's a year and went more down the road of shame...

I've been listening to Them all morning; have you heard Dissappear? Really check it out; band is way tighter than on Them. In fact, that tightness is probably the main detracting factor...its almost too perfect. I don't like much PFR from before Them, but dang...what an album...

I remember Grammatrain...they were on my Forefront "Seltzer" sampler...did you ever have that? Its how I got introduced to most of the Christian bands I dug back in the day. MxPx, Plankeye, PFR, everyone was on that record...:love:

• Members

DC Talk-Jesus Freak

Jars of Clay- S/T

Third Day- S/T

None of these bands have come anywhere close to the level of these albums since then. DC Talk fell apart shortly thereafter; Third Day became the face of corporate Christian crap rock; Jars of Clay became interesting but pretentious; Newsboys put out 2 good albums (Love Liberty Disco/Thrive) but Peter Furler led them down the path of popular praise n worship; PFR broke up, came back together in 2001 to record another near-perfect album, Disappear, but broke up afterwards...

Since then, Christian rock has become more derivative than ever before. Just abunch of emo and Creed/Nickleback copycats with indie copycats coming onboard now. I went to Cornerstone Fla last year...wow...the only really original performer was Starflyer 59, whose style preceded current indie trends by about 10 years, a true innovator, just like WinterHaven
:thu:

+100000000

You had pretty much the same experience with these albums as I did, except I was only listening to whatever came on the pop radio stations, not the country-pop. I agree about Bloom, too...I wouldn't say "Top 5 albums ever made", but probably "Top 5 Albums to Come Out of the *Christian* Music Industry", and definitely AudioA's best album.

I had the pleasure of catching PFR at Atlantafest before they broke up (put every other "act" there to shame, including AudioA's pop radio set list...the whole time I was down front, yelling "Jazz Odyssey" at the stage. :D) It's sad that such talented guys will languish in obscurity forever. Of course, I feel the same way about King's X...*sigh*

You mentioning "Seltzer" just brought on all kinds of nostalgic feelings about my teenage years. Ahhhhhhh those were the days.

• Members

DC Talk-Jesus Freak

Jars of Clay- S/T

Third Day- S/T

Good list. "Criminally underated" is a great description of PFR. I discovered them ("Them"?) by accident and think they are the very best at doing christian theme-to-a-rock beat. I always thought Petra, and groups like them, were waaay over the top.

I'm not really a fan of Third Day or Newsboys, but I've seen them both and they are excellent bands and deliver a consistently good message.

BTW, regarding the original post, THAT WAS AWFUL!!! Bad music AND bad message. I would immediately be suspicious of anyone who starts a church and NAMES IT AFTER HIMSELF!!!

D

• Members

I admit, I never listened to Zombie. Alot of my friends were into that one; soon after it, however, Audio A put out like 2 CD's a year and went more down the road of shame...

I've been listening to Them all morning; have you heard Dissappear? Really check it out; band is way tighter than on Them. In fact, that tightness is probably the main detracting factor...its almost too perfect. I don't like much PFR from before Them, but dang...what an album...

I remember Grammatrain...they were on my Forefront "Seltzer" sampler...did you ever have that? Its how I got introduced to most of the Christian bands I dug back in the day. MxPx, Plankeye, PFR, everyone was on that record...
:love:

Zombie was more melodic. Really it was a near complete departure for them and the last album their original guitarist played on. Anything after that was crap.

I didn't even know about Dissappear, thanks for the head's up.

I didn't get Seltzer because I pretty much had all the material on it in album form. If you want to hear some excellent, excllent rock, serious;y check out flying by Grammatrain. It's the best aggressive rosk I've ever heard. Kinda an odd blend of STP and Soundgarden, with a lot of their own elements thrown in.

Here's a rough list of my favorite albums from that period:

1. Sixpence None The Richer- This Beautiful Mess
2. PFR- Them
3. Grammatrain- Flying
4. Common Children- Skywire
5. Circle of Dust- Disengage
6. Tourniquet- Vanishing Lessons
7. Argyle Park- self titled
8. Deliverance- Camelot in Smithereens
9. Jars of Clay- self titled
10. The Waiting- self titled
11. Newsboys- Take Me to Your Leader