Check out this article on the Beatles and varispeed

It was written by Brian Kehew, one of the authors of the (exceptionally well done) Recording The Beatles.

I've long been a fan of using varispeed and half speed / double speed recording techniques to change and manipulate sounds. I wish more DAW programs featured an onboard varispeed knob.

Anyway, check out the video. I think it's pretty interesting - let me know what you think, and whether you use varispeed, or see any potential use for it in your recordings.

http://news.qthemusic.com/2013/02/guest_column_-_stretching_time.html

• Members

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

It was written by Brian Kehew, one of the authors of the (exceptionally well done)
Recording The Beatles.

I've long been a fan of using varispeed and half speed / double speed recording techniques to change and manipulate sounds. I wish more DAW programs featured an onboard varispeed knob.

Anyway, check out the video. I think it's pretty interesting - let me know what you think, and whether you use varispeed, or see any potential use for it in your recordings.

Yeah, Robert Plant recently copped to Zep's use of varispeed as well which explains some of the incredible highs his vocals acheived on some of their studio recordings. My own use of it was limited to some recording I made with an Akai RTR..Which I still have and it still works beautifully! Thanks for pointing this article out! Fun watch and read!

• Members

I use logic's varispeed function pretty frequently. One of my friends is not the greatest rappers, so I'll slow down the beat while he tracks his vocals. Usually I use the time-only feature, but if the speed is not too drastic, I'll use the varispeed setting for some passages to give it a little variation.

mike.sartori wrote:

I use logic's varispeed function pretty frequently. One of my friends is not the greatest rappers, so I'll slow down the beat while he tracks his vocals. Usually I use the time-only feature, but if the speed is not too drastic, I'll use the varispeed setting for some passages to give it a little variation.

Mike, does Logic's varispeed cause significant issues in terms of system "performance"?

Archived