Need advice on 335 -again

RossW

• Members

Hi,

As many of you know, I am in the hunt for a 335 guitar. I need something for playing the Blues. Over the last couple of weeks you have responed to my posts and provided me with terrific suggestions. I am now ready to pull the pin and buy a quitar.

The candidates:

1. Epiphone BB King Lucille - Korean made, great guitar, looks/plays/sounds fantastic. Terrific HC reviews. Cost: $1000 CDN

2. Tokai -ES60/80 - Korean made, great guitar, looks/plays/sounds fantastic. Unique in that it has a Bigsby trem. Terrific HC reviews. Cost: $700 CDN

The problem:

I cannot afford the BB. My option is to trade my only guitar (Godin LG HMB, solid body) in order to make up the difference.

The questions:

1. If I go with the BB, will I limit my playing options? It should cover my blues requirements??

2. I love the Tokai - They are not common... Will this hurt any future trade in options

Please help me!!

thanks, I really appreciate your opinions.

• Members

I would go Tokai in this one. The BB king guitar has the varitone (which I probably wouldn't use much) and I believe an ebony fretboard, but sort of puts you in the "sig guitar" category which I'm not a fan of.

It will, however, cover most of your blues needs (a strat would cover an additional ground) plus. 335 style guitars are extremely versitile. I love my Sheraton for metal.

The Tokai will do all that plus be unique and have the bigsby at less money. I think thats a better situation.

• Members

Go play them and pick the one you like... And if the one you like is too expensive, save your duckets!

I ran into the 335 I wanted about a year ago - didn't have the cash and was sure to lose it (it's still the only one I've ever seen in person) so I got the rest of my guitars, hauled 'em down to the shop, and left with the 335... Don't know what else to tell you - you gotta do what you gotta do...

• Members

Any guitar place worth going to should know Tokai. So ignore that. As previously said the only really special thing about the BB king is the varitone. And it isn't worth the $300 difference. If you really want one though you could get one installed at probably less than the 300 difference in price. although an additional hole will need to be drilled.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultimate-VariTone-Switch-Custom-ES-Archtop-Guitar-Part_W0QQitemZ200051291975QQihZ010

I've seen these on ebay but I'm not sure if they're worth the hassle

• Members
Originally posted by RossW

Hi,

I need something for playing the Blues.

Why can't you play blues on your Godin? :confused:

The problem:

I cannot afford the BB.

Have you considered an Epi Dot? It's essentially the same guitar except that you're not paying extra for BB's signature. Well and it's got F-holes...

The questions:

1. If I go with the BB, will I limit my playing options?

The ES335 style guitars are probably some of the most versatile guitars there are. You should be able to cover virtually any genre with that type of guitar. Country might be the only style they're not known for.

It should cover my blues requirements??

And then some!

2. I love the Tokai - They are not common... Will this hurt any future trade in options

Sorry, I collect not trade. :(

• Members

Ok, Tokai are good?? I agree, but I get blank stairs when I tell my friends about the guitars.

You bet I can play the blues on my Godin. I would just looking for something different.

I am thinking we are leaning away from the BB??

• Members

Hi Burgess,

Originally posted by Burgess

Well, the question is this:

Are you buying the guitar to fufill your needs or to impress your friends?

Ouch that hurts, but you are correct! Let's get this back to a guitar issue!!

Any additional thoughts on the Tokai??

• Members

Originally posted by RossW

Hi Burgess,

Ouch that hurts, but you are correct! Let's get this back to a guitar issue!!

Any additional thoughts on the Tokai??

I've never played a Tokai myself but everything I've heard about them has been they are fine guitars. I do regret not purchasing a "correct" headstock Tokai Lp copy from Canada when I had the chance but oh well.

I've heard there are differences between the Korean Tokais and the Japanese ones so that may be something to consider. Personally, I've had great luck with Korean guitars so it probably wouldn't deter me.

• Members

My experience with the Epiphone 335-type guitars and the numerous posts on here about the quality of the Tokai make this a true no-brainer: Get the Tokai. Also, most folks here - and knowledgeable buyers on eBay - are well-aware of the Tokai brand. It won't be a difficult to sell it if you have to.

But I'm really not sure about the price. Check completed auctions on eBay to see if it's in line with the market.

Did you post pics of the Tokai awhile ago? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Members
Originally posted by dewees

My experience with the Epiphone 335-type guitars and the numerous posts on here about the quality of the Tokai make this a true no-brainer: Get the Tokai. Also, most folks here - and knowledgeable buyers on eBay - are well-aware of the Tokai brand. It won't be a difficult to sell it if you have to.

But I'm really not sure about the price. Check completed auctions on eBay to see if it's in line with the market.

Did you post pics of the Tokai awhile ago? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Hi Dewees,
Thanks for the info on the Tokai. I think everyone has helped me make up my mind. I am going to give it one last play today!

Yup, the price is correct. Please note, this is a Korean model, as opposed to the Japanese ones.

I better go buy it before the next heartbeat (thump, thump!).:):eek:

• Members

It took more than a heartbeat, but I got it! The Tokai that is. I took both guitars for one more test drive. After the first test drive I thought both guitars were similar. In the second test I gave them a bit more of a workout and tried different songs. The Tokai won hands down. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Sorry BB!!

Archived