FYI: Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here?

Anderton

• Members

Stylewise, I really don't think I really belong this thread.

This link is temporary and be nice! :mad:

This is more to share, than for opinions

A Different View - The Perky Hateful Remix

Somewhere in the SSS forum I mentioned using "found sounds" in my songs, this song begins with me sharpening a knife... and mutating it a little.

bigchris - your links didn't work for me.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

This was always one of the most popular threads on SSS. But I'm trying to come up with a new approach and I'm going to hold off on re-starting the IYMAGFOH thread until I see whether the new approach is feasible or not.

I think there's a much better way of saying this.

#1 Is your music any good sounds kind of pretentious IMO.

#2 There are a bunch of lamesasses here who's ears are so full of their own {censored} that they would say the chorus of the Angels in Heaven sounded like trash.

#3 Good is a subjective term. What if a bunch of lame old Jurasic rock buttheads decide to make this their rag on every kid out there in a punk garage band outlet? Also, I grew up on and love Jurasic rock (Page, Hendrix, Iommi, Barre, Townshed, Gilmour, Buckingham are among my favorite all time guitarists and the bands they were in are classics), but I think it's ridiculous to say that nothing after 1985 is valid music unless it rehashes the same old formula over and over

Maybe multiple stickies such as...

#1 Tips/Advice on the production of my/our clips please

#2 Tips/Advice on the structure of song in my/our clips please

#3 Tips/Advice on tone of individual instruments in my/our clips please

etc... take suggestions from people here as it develops and as a need, desire is seen for more threads

Or maybe you could make individual stickies for different styles (punk, emo, soft rock, hard rock, metal, rockibilly etc..., letting all know full well that if they come in and start a rag-fest their posts won't see the end of the day. While I know many of these dweebs get off on giving others {censored}e, most will not want to spend their time typing away if they know it might be gone in 5 mins.

Also, I would moderate these posts more heavily then the majority of posts here, making sure that dweebs don't come in here just to vent their hostility on someone else because *gasp* "they play music I don't like", as so often happens on clips that are asking for objectivity and assistance.

I am saying this because these forums are being Advertised as a place to come for objectivity, consideration, and professionalism, in contrast to the 4 alarm fires that the other forums here can become on occasion. Putting "Is your musicc any Good in a thread title is asking for some asshat to come in and tell someone whose song is perfectly fine, produced well, and performed well that they suck, just because they are punk, emo, hardcore, country, progressive, etc...

I can hear the the frickin Yinghey fanclub on here now saying ahhh, your music sucks, play "Flight of the Bumblebutt", now that real music (see even those of us who believe they are open-minded are not above cliched, senseless ragging).

Just my 2 cents.

• Members

Originally posted by bigchris

No one seems to want to comment on these on the Songwriting forum, so I'll try here...

Been trying to pluck up the courage to post these for a week or two... I'd like to know whether they're actually any good at all, or whether it's just me and the singer/rhythm guitarist that think they're cool in a self-indulgent way. Of course, first and foremost, making music is for yourself, but I don't want to try and gig on stuff that everyone else thinks is utter {censored}e...

Anyway, to the songs -

They were just recorded on my laptop microphone, so the quality is {censored}e, and they were done in a hurry so to say the least, they're rough, but try and look past that if it's possible. It also might be helpful to say that we're trying to recruit other band members off the back of these at the moment, so if you were a bassist or a drummer, would you want to join our band?

Anyway, to the songs properly this time -

Raccroche La Passante -

Kenneth Williams -

Vae Victus -

Any feedback and/or (constructive) criticism is appreciated! Thanks!

Bigchris,

Instrumental parts are really good and fit the genre very well. Vocals are a bit inconsistent. There are times they are spot on, but other times where they get a bit carried away and lose pitch a bit too much. They should be raw for this style, but should exhibit a bit more control. Overall, really good stuff (in the genre which is admittedly not really my thing), but I see no reason why somebody wouldn't want to complete a band with bass and percussion. Boggs

• Members

Originally posted by thenakedarab

Putting "Is your music any Good in a thread title is asking for some asshat to come in and tell someone whose song is perfectly fine, produced well, and performed well that they suck, just because they are punk, emo, hardcore, country, progressive, etc...

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with what I quoted very much and a huge part of the reason I didn't post songs on any of these forums for a while, except for the Keys monthly mission thing.

• Members

I will listen tomorrow to all the links, but for now I'm off to bed. I have to be in the studio tomorrow evening and have some guitar tech work to do ALL day. these are the EP versions of some of the tracks we are recording tomorrow. those tunes were recorded last year with our old singer and rhythm section. we were Pavlov's Dogs then. now it's Push Off. website link's also in my signature.

thanks for the listen....:cool:

• Members

Sure, feel free to post links here until the next phase kicks in...it's designed to make the whole concept more manageable, and to make it easier for people to find music that interests them. I'll be proposing this to the HC folks, Scott, and other moderators soon and keep you posted!

• Members

Originally posted by Greg Bogoshian

Bigchris,

Instrumental parts are really good and fit the genre very well. Vocals are a bit inconsistent. There are times they are spot on, but other times where they get a bit carried away and lose pitch a bit too much. They should be raw for this style, but should exhibit a bit more control. Overall, really good stuff (in the genre which is admittedly not really my thing), but I see no reason why somebody wouldn't want to complete a band with bass and percussion. Boggs

Hey man, thanks for the comments. It's really helpful to hear feedback from an objective viewpoint. Cheers!

• Members

Originally posted by bigchris

Hey man, thanks for the comments. It's really helpful to hear feedback from an objective viewpoint. Cheers!

Happy to help, man. I hope it didn't come across too harsh. There was a lot to like there. Too bad about the mic you had do use. That certainly didn't do you any justice... ;) Boggs

• Members

Over in the AMP Forum we have "jams" from time to time.

They're fun to participate in... and often take me out of my normal "style" of music.

Here's a Metal Jam take... WARNING... Humorous Vocals Ahead! :D

Pedal To The Metal

Not many comments of people's music on this thread... so thanks in advance for listening!

michael

• Members

Originally posted by warped666

Stylewise, I really don't think I really belong this thread.

Somewhere in the SSS forum I mentioned using "found sounds" in my songs, this song begins with me sharpening a knife... and mutating it a little.

hey Warped666 - fun stuff to listen to. A little Moby-ish, a little BT-ish, but still original enough to work.

It may just be my speakers (Mackie HR824s), but some of your bass notes are too low to reproduce well, making the bass kinda disappear on some notes. Do you mix for systems both with and without subs? What I do when I know my tracks have a lot of sub that won't translate to the average playback system, is to double the bass an octave up, or, to just go ahead and shelf the bottom end at around 80hz and boost the low end around 150hz, and then try the mix on cheap speakers to see if the bass is even and audible all through.

I like the sounds at the beginning - I wanted to hear more of them, maybe chopped up and used for breakdowns or syncopations or stutters.

Yeah, the garden-variety fans of Lynrd Skyrnd won't go for your style, but there's enough of us out there to make it worth posting your tunes....

nat whilk ii

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

hey Warped666 - fun stuff to listen to. A little Moby-ish, a little BT-ish, but still original enough to work.

Yeah, the garden-variety fans of Lynrd Skyrnd won't go for your style, but there's enough of us out there to make it worth posting your tunes....

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a subwoofer, so I mix without.

The sounds in the beginning were knives being sharpened.

Archived