What kind of stuff do y'all listen to?

• Moderators

Originally posted by alfonso

All the cheesy hypertechnical and infinitely boring singing derived from the great (in the past) Stevie Wonder style, that stinks of school of music and has zero creativity and talks about love but dreams about money.

That's some kinda poetry. You've captured my feelings exactly. When I hear that style of singing I want to grab the vocalist by the throat and scream, "GET... TO... THE... POINT!"

• Members

Originally posted by Crypticscott

Wow! There's some diversity with you guys. I also like the fact that I did'nt see the word "Radiohead" anywhere. By the way, IMO Radiohead is the single most overrated band EVER.

LOL... well I hate to be the one to disappoint you :D, but I think OK Computer and The Bends are awesome. Can't say that I care for their other stuff, but if all they'd done was those two records I'd have to say they were great.

OTOH I never have been able to stomach any of the prog or "art rock" stuff that you love (Rush, ELP, Crimson etc. all make me want to gag) but I don't see any reason to be rude and get into flame wars about it! Whatever floats yer boat. Frankly I've learned just as much from talking music with people whose tastes are totally different from mine as those who have similar taste.

So, nice to meet you Scott! :cool:

• Members

The older I get, the hard it is to answer this question.

I'm a musician! I love music! All kinds of music!

But I guess I do have a few things that trip my trigger more than others....

I can say that I've always had a fondness for 'Low-era' David Bowie and Roxy Music, and also many of the 80's bands that were influenced by them in one way or another. There is a lot of that kind of stuff on my Creative Zen.

When I was a teen, I loved Prog Rock. I still enjoy it, but I don't like the metallic spin that so many of the newer bands tend to put on it.

Nothing against Metal, but frankly, (with few exceptions) most of it just plain sucks. NuMetal is a genre that consists of one song, re-written a thousand times. Same tempo, same sound, same subject matter.....same everything. Boring!

I also enjoy 60's Jazz.

My most recent CD purchases are:

Thievery Corp: Cosmic Game

(Great album. Probably their best work to date, though I think I've heard enough analog delay to last me a while.)

Jerry Garcia Band: Live

(Awesome album, and I'm not even a 'Deadhead'. The B3 solo on 'Lucky Old Sun' alone is worth the purchase price. It's out of print, but worth tracking down)

Meshell Ndegeocello: Comfort Woman

(Perhaps the best NeoSoul album in existance. Very psychedellic too.

Meshell is a hell of a bass player. That groove couldn't get any more internal.)

Willie Nelson: Countryman

(If you like Willie, and you dig reggae, then here's your chance to kill two birds with one stone! Not a bad album, but nothing that will go down as his "masterwork" either) Two and a half, out of five stars.

Originally posted by Lee Flier

(Rush, ELP, Crimson etc. all make me want to gag) but I don't see any reason to be rude and get into flame wars about it! /B]

Oh, like hell you don't!

Let's talk about Phil Collins, shall we?:p

• Members

On another note, you guys are the most polite people that I've seen on HC in awhile. Most other forums this thread would've already turned into a "THAT BAND SUCKS!!!!" type thing by now.

I think it's not so much politeness as we are all SERIOUSLY into music. So if someone else likes music -- any music -- that's fine with us!

I've listened to the occasional metal band myself... and ZZ Top...yup, and the Small Faces, and Bach, Coltrane, Hendrix, Beck, Jeff Beck, Dr. Walker (of course!), Miles, Buddy Holly, Abba (so flame me!), LA Style, Paul Van Dyk, Moby, Beethoven...it's all good. Music is awesome.

• Members

Stuff I've grabbed from ITunes or ripped to my ITunes library( legally owned of course)recently:

BT Emotional Technology

Coldplay

Enya - A Day Without Rain, Shepard Moons

Hans Zimmer - Gladiator, King Aurthur

Henry Mancini

Holst

Howard Shore - The Lord Of The Rings

James Horner - Braveheart, Troy

James Newtom Howard - Dinosaur

The Finn Brothers

Jeff Lorber - Kickin It

Mark Isham

Merle Haggard - If I could Only Fly

Maroon 5 - Songs About Jane

Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadephia

Peter Gabriel

Norah Jones

Peter Sterling - Shadow, Mist & Light

Steely Dan

Vince Gill

Ranydy Newman

Thomas Newman - Lemony Snickets....

Shostakovich - The String Quartets

Johann Strauss Jr. - Most Famous Waltzes

Ray Charles

• Members

LOL... well I hate to be the one to disappoint you , but I think OK Computer and The Bends are awesome. Can't say that I care for their other stuff, but if all they'd done was those two records I'd have to say they were great.

OTOH I never have been able to stomach any of the prog or "art rock" stuff that you love (Rush, ELP, Crimson etc. all make me want to gag) but I don't see any reason to be rude and get into flame wars about it! Whatever floats yer boat. Frankly I've learned just as much from talking music with people whose tastes are totally different from mine as those who have similar taste.

So, nice to meet you Scott!

:cool:

*Rolls up sleeve and puts arm on table*

THAT'S IT!!!! We're arm wrestling!!!;)

With the Radiohead thing, I've really really tried to like them. I always heard so much about OK Computer, and I downlo.....I mean listened to it and I just could'nt get into it.

And the prog/art rock stuff, that's very much an acquired taste I suppose. But on the same hand, I also love bands like the Ramones and Live. Music is just cool!:)

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

I think it's not so much politeness as we are all SERIOUSLY into music. So if someone else likes music -- any music -- that's fine with us!

I've listened to the occasional metal band myself... and ZZ Top...yup, and the Small Faces, and Bach, Coltrane, Hendrix, Beck, Jeff Beck, Dr. Walker (of course!), Miles, Buddy Holly, Abba (so flame me!), LA Style, Paul Van Dyk, Moby, Beethoven...it's all good. Music is awesome.

I just can't flame you for liking Abba. I'll never admit posting this, and if asked I'll claim that someone hijacked my moniker.....But they DID write some catchy {censored}. Don't even get me started on old 80's pop..........................

• Members

Originally posted by Crypticscott

With the Radiohead thing, I've really really tried to like them. I always heard so much about OK Computer, and I downlo.....I mean listened to it and I just could'nt get into it.

It took me several listens to get into it, for sure. And actually, it's a good thing that I was able to download it because if I hadn't, I would never have bought it. I was able to listen to it enough times to realize I really liked it...LOL.

But, people do have different tastes and some people prolly wouldn't like it no matter how much they listened... as has been the case for me with prog stuff. :D

But on the same hand, I also love bands like the Ramones and Live. Music is just cool!
:)

You betcha! In fact I think "flame wars" over music are even kinda cool in a way, because it proves that people are passionate about music, and that's always great to see. :cool:

• Members

You betcha! In fact I think "flame wars" over music are even kinda cool in a way, because it proves that people are passionate about music, and that's always great to see.

I just got into a long debate with someone on the bass forum over whether or not the white stripes are overrated. No feelings were hurt... but their was certainly a bit of passion. That sort of stuff is fun as long as everyone is a bit grown up about it.

• Members

It took me several listens to get into it, for sure... I was able to listen to it enough times to realize I really liked it...LOL.

Now that remark, to me, defines a serious music listener - someone who:

1. actually listens to the music repeatedly before making up their mind,

2. is humble enough to realize that, if a lot of people whose opinions you respect like some particular music that you don't like at first impression, then maybe you need to give the music a chance to open your mind a bit more

3. doesn't fall into resenting bands some consider overrated or too successful in relation to their talent, etc. All these concerns have nothing to do with the actual music itself.

4. doesn't trash something simply because it's part of some genre you generally don't like, or because the band is not a favorite in your small culture-consumer-tribe.

nat whilk ii

• Members

It took me several listens to get into it, for sure. And actually, it's a good thing that I was able to download it because if I hadn't, I would never have bought it. I was able to listen to it enough times to realize I really liked it...LOL.

But, people do have different tastes and some people prolly wouldn't like it no matter how much they listened... as has been the case for me with prog stuff.
:D

You betcha! In fact I think "flame wars" over music are even kinda cool in a way, because it proves that people are passionate about music, and that's always great to see

I gave it many many listens and it just never grabbed me. There's a few bands like that that I've never been able to get into. I've heard people going ga-ga over the Flaming Lips, and they're another band that does nothing for me. I guess it's cool if you're into that sort of thing though.

As for the Flame Wars, sit in on an OJ Flame War sometime. For some reason we spent months debating Radiohead vrs. Dream Theater. Now what in the hell those two bands have to do with each other is really beyond me......but it was a hotly debated topic by those of us with too much time on our hands. I always kind of thought that it was like comparing Celine Dion to Cannibal Corpse.....but what do I know..............I like Cannibal Corpse.:p The thing was, those flame apocalypses would get to the point where personal insults startes flying back and forth, which in a way, made them even more fun.:D

• Members

As I sit here at work, I've got Muddy Waters' Hard Again playing - great great album w/Johnny Winters.

I like to think my tastes are pretty eclectic.

blues, both electric and old-timey

reggae and ska, but not poppy bull{censored}

rock of all forms - classic stuff like Jimi, Led Zep, Doors, Stones, to 80's REM, punk and post-punk, indie, whatever. My current favorites are Jeff Buckley, Kings of Leon, Drive By Truckers, Wilco, American Music Club...

I like bluegrass, and roots music, old folk music, etc, but I really dislike mainstream country - too formulaic and bland for me.

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

gee alfonso, I guess then you wouldn't like Mariah Carey's new album, "Diva Lieder" with it's subtle blend of prog-blues and new folk sensibility?

nat whilk ii

Based on the numbers, you wouldn't have to know anything about alfonso for that to be a safe bet...

That said, I know nothing about the album except that it's tanked and that Carey blamed... something or other... terrorism?

I have to say that a 'subtle blend of prog-blues and new folk' sounds pretty interesting. I think I'll go listen...

... but right now I'm in the middle of a quickly picked "Billie Holiday A-to-Z" set... actually, it's A-to-Y... wish she'd done something about the zoo.. oh, yeah, and X-Rays and maybe something about 'queen of something' or something... but 23 out of 26 ain't too bad.

Anyhow, not entirely sure that following Billie Holiday with Maria Carey is exactly fair to Carey...

Now, if she were following Celine Dionne, she'd probably sound pretty good by comparison... my cat would.

Archived