Finding the Right amp...

Big_Mac_AUS

• Members

Initially I was gonna post this sucker in the amp forum, but they are all lazy hillbillies and I wouldn't get a reply.

Well I've been back and forth from guitar shops looking for an amp and have come here seeking enlightenment. Heres what I need:

Around $700 AUS give or take a bit

I play in a band that plays mainstream rock with a very strong foo fighters influence (and a {censored} load of fooies covers too :thu: ).

I'd like to be able to churn out some heavy tones because thats where my real interest lies.

Must be loud enough to keep up with a freakin' loud Drummer (he has talent aswell).

Definately a Combo.

• Members

Alright, i'm a blues player, and i don't know jack about the "fooies," so i'll do what i can.

432839.jpg

Bitchin' Blues Amp?

228675.jpg

Peavey VK 112

(And it looks as if MF now carries Ashdown)

395636.jpg

Fallen Angel

Like i said, i don't know much about the foo fighters, all i know is they play alternate rock, or something along those lines. I think with a pedal or two the VK might suit you. Also, considering the price differences between North A. and Australia, it's probably the best fit for your budget.
Hope this helps

• Members

Don't listen to these guys.

The Epiphone only has soft overdrive for classic rock. Fender Hot rod deville (or delux) doesn't even have a decent distortion channel. the peavy valveking is good but only if you wanna sound like Van Halen.

The valvetronix ain't that bad for what you want but it's hard to think of something good within that price range.

• Members
Originally posted by lonerstoenr

Hate to dissapoint you there buddy but nothing new (and very little used) will satisfy you for that meagre budget. Best of luck in your search though!
:thu:

I said the budget was flexible and I am willing to go up around the 1k mark it's just that I didn't want people suggesting high end amps that were wayyy out of my price range. Nice to see another guy from melbourne on the board, and welcome :thu:

• Members

I'm like a broken record, but the Peavey Classic 30 will definitely get you in Foo Fighters territory.

Here are a few things I've recorded with a Classic 30.

Jenny (867-5309)

7 Nation Army

War Pigs (Live...guitar is a little too low in the mix)

And this one sounds like {censored} once the rest of the band kicks in. The drums clipped the recorder pretty hard, but the guitar still sounds alright.

Rockin' In The Free World (short live clip...heavy clipping on the drums)

• Members

Originally posted by Ibanezman06

The Epiphone only has soft overdrive for classic rock. Fender Hot rod deville (or delux) doesn't even have a decent distortion channel. the peavy valveking is good but only if you wanna sound like Van Halen.

The valvetronix ain't that bad for what you want but it's hard to think of something good within that price range.

Terrible advice. You can add distortion to any amp. You need good tone BEFORE you drive it. The Hot Rod Deville is loud, has a nice full clean tone that sounds awesome with a tube driver in front of it.

• Members
Originally posted by Ibanezman06

Vox Valvetronix 100 watt is like, 550 USD.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

I'm like a broken record, but the Peavey Classic 30 will definitely get you in Foo Fighters territory.

Here are a few things I've recorded with a Classic 30.

And this one sounds like {censored} once the rest of the band kicks in. The drums clipped the recorder pretty hard, but the guitar still sounds alright.

Is that Classic 30 a stock combo?

Nice clips and what I was going to recommend.

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

Is that Classic 30 a stock combo?

Nice clips and what I was going to recommend.

It's got a Celestion G12H30 and Electro Harmonics preamp tubes. Other than that, it's all stock and the only pedals I use are a Dunlop Original Crybaby, a Digitech Digidelay (occasionally), and an MXR 6 band EQ in the loop for a lead boost.

• Members

It's got a Celestion G12H30 and Electro Harmonics preamp tubes. Other than that, it's all stock and the only pedals I use are a Dunlop Original Crybaby, a Digitech Digidelay (occasionally), and an MXR 6 band EQ in the loop for a lead boost.

It sounded really good in the two clips I listened to; Jenny and Keep On Rockin'

If you had to do over would you still have made the same upgrades to it?

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

It sounded really good in the two clips I listened to; Jenny and Keep On Rockin'

If you had to do over would you still have made the same upgrades to it?

Yeah, I definitely love that Celestion in there. The preamp tubes didn't make too much difference at all, but I already had them laying around and decided to use them. That speaker, though, made a world of difference. The stock speaker wasn't terrible, but the G12H30 is so much better it's frightening.

• Members

Yeah, I definitely love that Celestion in there. The preamp tubes didn't make too much difference at all, but I already had them laying around and decided to use them. That speaker, though, made a world of difference. The stock speaker wasn't terrible, but the G12H30 is so much better it's frightening.

Thanks for the info.

*writes down "buy a G12H30 for my Peavey 1x12 cabinet"*

:thu:

Archived