Finding the Right amp...

Big_Mac_AUS

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Terrible advice. You can add distortion to any amp. You need good tone BEFORE you drive it. The Hot Rod Deville is loud, has a nice full clean tone that sounds awesome with a tube driver in front of it.

he will get best results with a decent distortion channel and clean channel. but if he don't mind using a pedal, that hot rod ain't such a bad idea.

there's really nothing good that i can think of in that price range anyway.

as for the original poster, i'm telling you, you should save up for a carvin v3 or a peavy jsx

• Members

Yeah, unless you want to get into boosting with pedals I agree with Ibanezman06; the distortion channel on the Fender Hot Rod series is not going to get you where you want to go.

Definitely go tube though, don't do solid state. Even if you have pedals you won't get the most out of them with a solid state amp.

Peavey Classics are really nice. I haven't actually played the ValveKing, but from looking at it, it might be a good bet. For modern rock you want a nice big helping of preamp gain and a big poweramp section. The Foo Fighters use Rectos alot, and that's what the Recto is all about. The VK has the high headroom and preamp gain that you will probably want, moreso than the Classic. But try them both, you never know - and I am only making an educated guess on the VK.

I've only heard the Traynors in action once, and it seemed like they were more geared to a blues/classic rock crowd than modern rock.

• Members

I'll second what some others have said: concentrate on a good clean sound, because you can adjust the distortion with pedals.

That makes the HR Deville or HR Deluxe fine choices. Also, consider the Peavey C50, rather than the C30. The C50 212 moves a lot of air and has nice sounding distortion. Plus you get an effects send/return circuit, fan cooling and a standby switch.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarNed

I'll second what some others have said: concentrate on a good clean sound, because you can adjust the distortion with pedals.

That makes the HR Deville or HR Deluxe fine choices. Also, consider the Peavey C50, rather than the C30. The C50 212 moves a lot of air and has nice sounding distortion. Plus you get an effects send/return circuit, fan cooling and a standby switch.

The 30 also has an FX loop. No fan or standby switch though. But, really, the fan and standby switch are moot points. I've had the my C30 for 2 years and it's still got the stock power tubes in it, and the same preamp tubes that I put in it a week or two after I got it. The metal chassis does get hot to the touch, but it doesn't seem to eat tubes too much. I've probably played 30 or 40 gigs, done a lot of recording, had countless band practices and many, many hours of home jamming with mine and haven't had any trouble. I've also got a Classic 50 212 and while it does move more air, the 30 certainly gets the job done, and I actually prefer it's tone slightly to the 50, plus, it's much easier to carry around. The 50 is a damn fine amp though, but it's out of his budget if he buys new.

• Members

don't laugh, but on your budget crate has a tube amp that might work, i think it's v3112. afaik, ampeg makes those, and crate just puts their name on it for some reason. i might get a classic 30 over that, but for the kind of stuff you want to do, i'd probably get the crate over the fender, believe it or not.

a nice review w/some pics here:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1362858&highlight=v3112

• Members
Originally posted by Big_Mac_AUS

Initially I was gonna post this sucker in the amp forum, but they are all lazy hillbillies and I wouldn't get a reply.

Well I've been back and forth from guitar shops looking for an amp and have come here seeking enlightenment. Heres what I need:

Around $700 AUS give or take a bit

I play in a band that plays mainstream rock with a very strong foo fighters influence (and a {censored} load of fooies covers too
:thu:
).

I'd like to be able to churn out some heavy tones because thats where my real interest lies.

Must be loud enough to keep up with a freakin' loud Drummer (he has talent aswell).

Definately a Combo.

First off, the amp forumites are metalheads, not hippies. Effects forum for that (or a subcult in the bass forum).

Secondly, my standard answer for about 500 used on a loud, versatile amp is a mesa f-30, but i think that would cost much m ore than 500 used in aussy land. That being said, keep your eyes out. I know grohl and the gang use rectifiers, and the f series cops those tones with a great clean channel, reverb, and the ability to do classic rock breakup. Highly reccommended.

• Members

No worries mate, I'll post some info on amps around 1K that I have found

1. Vaious Marshall JCM 800/900/2000 trading post or ebay for $1000
2. Peavey classic (head and combo) there was a classic 30 for $500 in the trading post awhile ago
3. Used laney plenty around trading post and ebay many VC30s for sub 1000.

Best of luck!

• Members
Originally posted by Ibanezman06

Don't listen to these guys.

The Epiphone only has soft overdrive for classic rock. Fender Hot rod deville (or delux) doesn't even have a decent distortion channel. the peavy valveking is good but only if you wanna sound like Van Halen.

The valvetronix ain't that bad for what you want but it's hard to think of something good within that price range.

Right.... You play a line 6, specifically a spider, so you don't get to chime in on what YOU think is good tone.

Also, for gods sake remove all the gear from your quote. You make it a bitch for the search function :idea:

Archived