Does this sound like a good amp deal?

hardtdc

• Members

These get very good reviews on HC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180070189385&rd=1&rd=1

I'm very tempted to go ahead and do a BIN and pay the $45 shipping it would take. That would still be less than 3 bills for a quality tube amp. I really want a tube head though. I guess I could have both.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I always recommend the 84-40 as a great choice for a budget tube amp. They aren't built really great but the tone sure is sweet.

What do you mean by "not built great"? Budget parts, design, reliability?

• Members

I can give them a thumbs up for tone. I played with one almost as a lark... not expecting much out of an amp with a pickup company name on it. It sounded outstanding. I played with a used strat so have no experience with HBs, but with the single coils, it had everything I would expect out of a modestly powered sub $1,000 tube amp. Certainly a good deal for sub $300.

• Members

I'm not impressed with not being able to see the output transformer. That's a pretty good sign that it is tiny , because it is insidethe chassis. It also means when it gets hot, it stays hot. Not good for long life. The cabinet also looks thin and crappy, but I can understand the appeal at the price. Not a steal but sure not bad.

Archived