New Eastwoods (Big Pictures)

fanuvbrak

• Members

These are pretty cool:

redspecialredRIGHT.jpg

Eastwoods new Red Special is a sophisticated replica of the guitar made famous by Brian May of Queen. Yes, there are many of these "copies" around but this one from Eastwood sets the highest standard in quality of anything near its price range. Replica switching system, three EW-Sonic pickups, Mahogany body with SET Mahogany neck. Available in Cherry or Sunburst. $599

mapblkRIGHT.jpg

The new AIRLINE MAP guitar is based on the 1962 NATIONAL Newport model. It features a tone-chambered Mahogany body, bound maple neck, dual Alnico Hot-10 Humbuckers, BIGSBY tremolo and roller bridge, two volume and one tone controls with a 3-way selector switch. Available in Seafoam Green, Black, Red and White. $799

I've owned a couple of Eastwoods and had great luck with them.

• Members

To me, the Brian May guitar has always struck me as a bit on the ugly side, no matter how good it sounds. But I'd be proud of it if I was Brian and had built in from scratch with my Dad as he did.

The Airline on the other hand, catches my eye. I like its Art Deco look, but maybe not enough to plunk out the funds.

Is that $799 MSRP or street?

• Members

Eastwoods new Red Special is a sophisticated replica of the guitar made famous by Brian May of Queen. Yes, there are many of these "copies" around but this one from Eastwood sets the highest standard in quality of anything near its price range. Replica switching system, three EW-Sonic pickups, Mahogany body with SET Mahogany neck. Available in Cherry or Sunburst. $599

"Only" $599... OK, the real BM model is $200 more at MF, but I bet that this is the same guitar as the STARS (or Dillion) RS clone I bought from him for $389 last year. If you want the original sound you will have to invest in real Tri-Sonics and do some work on the pickup cavities. Worth saving $200? Nope.

But I do like the Airline :D

All of his prices are street I believe?

• Members
"Only" $599... OK, the real BM model is $200 more at MF, but I bet that this is the same guitar as the STARS (or Dillion) RS clone I bought from him for $389 last year. If you want the original sound you will have to invest in real Tri-Sonics and do some work on the pickup cavities. Worth saving $200? Nope.

But I do like the Airline
:D

All of his prices are street I believe?

Bingo. I thought the same thing. Thanks to you i think im just gonna get a black B.M. B.T.W i was at G.C today and they had two Guild Brian May. The hi end one was nice and had a price tag to match. The lower end one was nothing to write home about.

• Members

I hate how they claim the Brian May replicas are the "best yet" when they just slap an import strat trem in there, and don't even bother trying to mimic the original trem which Brian designed himself from a knife edge and motorcycle spring.

It says "near its price range". Making a custom tremolo unit would really jack up the price.

• Members

To me, the Brian May guitar has always struck me as a bit on the ugly side, no matter how good it sounds. But I'd be proud of it if I was Brian and had built in from scratch with my Dad as he did.

Yip. I've always regarded them as guitars for the queen fanboys only..... personally, much as I enjoy much of Queen's music if it comes on at a party (Bohemian Rhapsody is a steaming pile of wank, though), I've never really been a fan - tend to regard them as rather overrated, truth be told. Don't care much for May as a player, though I like his tone, and certainly like the idea of a Strat equipped with three trisonics (I'm working on that..... I'd rather have bought a Burns Cobra, but Burns are really bad with lefty provision - their loss).

The Airline on the other hand, catches my eye. I like its Art Deco look, but maybe not enough to plunk out the funds.

Is that $799 MSRP or street?

I like the look of that too - though I actually prefer the Jack White model. Really want me one of those - and the matching bass.

I love the Eastwood range; money no object, I'd be onto them in a flash and ordering two of everything they do left handed. I still live in hope that they will do the Johnny Ramone model as a lefty in the future (want a white one and the blue!)... I've seen a righty in a store over here, and it was a very nicely made guitar indeed - as well as being GBP400ish (about USD750) cheaper than the "Mosrite of California" sig models (which aren't actually "real" Mosrites anyhow, arguably). They don't have the SD pups of the original, though at that price difference those could be fitted - if it made any difference, really.

I'm really glad to see somebody donig something different like this and being a success with it.... ok, so they're not exactly new designs, but much as I love a lot of the classics (Strat, Tele, SG..... LP not as much, but still...), I do like the offbeat stuff as much if not more - it's just much harder to find (especially lefty!), not least because most guitarists, for all some of them will complain about "me too" designs, are inherently, ridiculously conservative in their market demands.

• Members

Bingo. I thought the same thing. Thanks to you i think im just gonna get a black B.M. B.T.W i was at G.C today and they had two Guild Brian May. The hi end one was nice and had a price tag to match. The lower end one was nothing to write home about.

Cool, don't forget to post pics should you get one :) All the models can be found here:

http://www.brianmaycentral.net/guild.html

• Members

I hate how they claim the Brian May replicas are the "best yet" when they just slap an import strat trem in there, and don't even bother trying to mimic the original trem which Brian designed himself from a knife edge and motorcycle spring.

The BM model doesn't have the original vibrato unit either, but it has a 2-point one with a custom arm.

- the BM has Tri-Sonics

- the BM has an ebony fingerboard

- the BM has a double-bound body

- the BM has Grover locking tuners

- the BM has a chambered body

Maybe at $399 it would set a standard (half the price of the original), but I don't think anyone would pay $599 when he can get the BM for $799.

• Members

Is the BM model the best of the various replicas?

Custom made ones are probably better if you want the original, out-of-tune-every-other-minute vibrato unit, but they cost a lot of money. The aforementioned older Guilds (his previous signature line) are also good if you can find one at a reasonable price.

http://www.brianmaycentral.net/guild.html

• Members

I hope the build quality has improved over a couple years ago ....

I've had two within the last year, a Guyatone that was a bolt-on, and a sidejack, which was set neck.

Both were excellent builds. The only problem was with the Burns Trem on the sidejack...instant detuning device. The Bigsby on the Guyatone was great.

Archived