New guitar - BC Rich Mockingbird Special - pic

ratkent

• Members

I went to GC to get a spare wah pedal because I need to send my RMC in for some repairs and I was in a really bad mood about it. Cold, rain, bad drivers, etc. My new best friend GC/manager shows me this guitar and I literally had to have it even though the absolute last thing I need right now is another guitar. He asked me not to make a big deal out of what I paid but I walked out with a Dunlop Dimebag wah and this guitar for right at $500. I had to put Duncans in it immediately because the Rockfields were really nasty. The only thing I had lying around were a white Custom and a Pearly Gates Plus so I threw them in thinking they would look horrible but I like the look now. It seems to set off the binding and other white on the guitar. The guitar has a great low-mid growl and after a minor setup it plays fantastic. Wide, flat neck. It has a few spots that need filing but overall it's giggable right now. It has a Tonepros style bridge and tailpiece.

I was one of the most anti-USA made guitar guys out there until my band got a Samick endorsement and now I have to say there are some really nice guitars being imported from Korea.

I'll be out of town all week so I might not be able to answer any questions until I get back. Here's my poor attempt at a quick photo.

Mockfull3.jpg

• Members

kick{censored}!!! I like the look of the white pups, too

what was up with those Rockfield pups they been shoving down our throats in the banners here?

They were bad in lots of different ways. I'm fairly open minded about pickups and realize that everyone has different tastes but the Rockfields were trashy and unfocused. It actually scared the {censored} out of me at first because I thought the guitar was going back but the Duncans saved the day again. Now it's got focus and clarity.

• Members

Is it neck-through? And what kinds of wood is it made from?

It's not neck through but it's got and stunningly smooth heal. The cutaway is deep but narrow which would be a problem if you had really large hands and played the upper frets alot.

I have no idea what kind of wood it is. If looks like mahagany on the back and the top is quilted something. The neck seems like ebony and is silky smooth.

• Members

Actually I'd prefer all black pups, but WOW that thing really is one of the best looking guitars I have ever seen. Absolutely gorgeous, man. Beautuful.

Thanks.

I know what you mean about the pickups. I rarely dig white pickups and the only reason I put them in is because the only black Duncans I have are all pretty much bridge types; Custom, Custom Custom, Invader. I truly had every intention of yanking these things out as soon as I was sure it was going to sound good and getting some black pickups but now I think I'm going to leave it.

Archived