Some Edwards pics for those interested...

Cade

• Members

What bugs me is that if someone bought a brand new Gibson with the same fit and finish flaws I see in that Edwards (rusty looking pups, some binding flaws, dry looking fretboard), all you cheapo loving people would be up in Gibson's ass about it not being dead nuts perfect.. But, since this costs less, it's forgivable "for the money".. Nice guitar, but it's still just a Les Paul copy, an excellent looking one, but a copy of someone else's work regardless...

EDIT: Oh, and fantastic pics... Mazi has competition =)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by RaVenCAD

What bugs me is that if someone bought a brand new Gibson with the same fit and finish flaws I see in that Edwards (rusty looking pups, some binding flaws, dry looking fretboard), all you cheapo loving people would be up in Gibson's ass about it not being dead nuts perfect.. But, since this costs less, it's forgivable "for the money".. Nice guitar, but it's still just a Les Paul copy, an excellent looking one, but a copy of someone else's work regardless...

Well, for about twice the price of the Edwards you'd expect higher quality, wouldn't you? That's essentially the reason why Gibson gets a bad rap. I mean on the LP copy I bought for peanuts some of the fret markers are installed off center, there's some paint on the binding, inlays have some filler on them and so on. It didn't cost much so I don't mind because it is constructed well where it counts (fretwork, neck fit, hardware quality etc.) and sounds nice. If I had paid 2000

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

Well, for about twice the price of the Edwards you'd expect higher quality, wouldn't you? That's essentially the reason why Gibson gets a bad rap. I mean on the LP copy I bought for peanuts some of the fret markers are installed off center, there's some paint on the binding, inlays have some filler on them and so on. It didn't cost much so I don't mind because it is constructed well where it counts (fretwork, neck fit, hardware quality etc.) and sounds nice. If I had paid 2000

• Members

Hey Cade, I have the same Edwards in the Vintage White and it is just incredible, my no. 1. I don't have any Gibsons but have played several since owning the Edwards. What I notice most is that there seems to always be something off with a standard, a finish problem, neck is rough, set up not quite right, rough edges, just something. The standards are generally very pretty, almost like nice furniture, but not technically perfect. The Edwards is just that - tehcnically perfect - neck is absolutley fabulous, finish is flawless hardware put together perfectly.

It would be kind of fun if you took similar pics. of your standards and edwards side by side so that we can really see how the two compare.

• Members

Originally posted by MickSlick

Hey Cade, I have the same Edwards in the Vintage White and it is just incredible, my no. 1. I don't have any Gibsons but have played several since owning the Edwards. What I notice most is that there seems to always be something off with a standard, a finish problem, neck is rough, set up not quite right, rough edges, just something. The standards are generally very pretty, almost like nice furniture, but not technically perfect. The Edwards is just that - tehcnically perfect - neck is absolutley fabulous, finish is flawless hardware put together perfectly.

It would be kind of fun if you took similar pics. of your standards and edwards side by side so that we can really see how the two compare.

I'm going to do just that. I don't want to appear an ass in saying this....but so many people are making statements that are so uneducated due to a total and complete lack of experience with Edwards guitars that they have no value whatsoever. Zero. Sorry guys, but it would be like asking a true virgin what her opinions are of sexual intercourse. She's heard about it and may have seen the act thereof, but any opinions she might have would be completely baseless. Totally without value. And that's not really meant as a slam to anyone who has been less than positive about the guitar I posted pictures of...but you really need to honestly evaluate what your thoughts on an Edwards guitar should be worth.

I didn't post the pics to start an argument about the worth of this guitar or any other offered by Edwards. It was meant as a close look at what they are like. Anyone who thinks there is something better for the $, I challenge you to offer up the same quality photos I did. Put up or shut up....simple as that. We can't play 'em all but...but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

Sometimes this forum is very frustrating in that I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall just trying to get some people here to see reality. If I have no personal, extended experience with something, I state so should I choose to make comment. Otherwise, I say nothing at all. Otherwise, IMHO, you're just talking out your ass. Take that for as you want....if the shoe fits...

Flame away...I don't care. I get alot laughs out of some of the ridiculously ill-informed comments some make here. And this is directed at no one in particular. No one in particular who has commented in this thread either. Just a general impression I've had for quite some time.

Still the best forum around, but you sometimes have to wade through so much bull{censored}.....

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Cade

Still the best forum around, but you sometimes have to wade through so much bull{censored}.....

Indeed, but where else can you read about guitars and piping hot farts on the same forum? :D

I'm still kinda kicking myself for not buying an Edwards when I was in Japan. I really liked them a lot, especially the quilted maple top blue/green model, the LP-85SDQM I think. Alas, I had already bought an old Yamaha semihollowbody there so my gear fund was spent.

• Members

IMG_4081.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4114.jpg

I agree with Cade 100%

These guitars are incredible, in fact I will be purchasing one more probably.

I really had a hard-on for a gibson les paul standard, but I ended up buying this (sort of by accident), and now will never buy a gibson. I have an SG Standard as you can all see, and really, I rarely ever play it anymore. I always want to pick it up the Les Paul Custom first. It plays so well, feels soooo great. The neck is extraordinary.

Rock!

• Members

I haven't been here long, but your posts have a massive know-it-all flavour. Seriously, that finish is far above nearly any gibson I've ever seen - and I look at various new ones every single week and have done for years. I can't be arsed to play your game and ask where the hell the binding flaws are, but the point is that I see high end gibsons all the time and all but 1 in a million have flaws.

Every single time I pick up a gibson I think 'you have to find a good one'.

Every time I pick up a schecter or Edwards I think 'god damn, how is this so cheap, looks like someone who actually cared checked it over before it got sold'

• Members

Thanks for the compliments on the pics...good gear and some experience is an asset. My lack of talent is just now beginning to get out of my way...

What you see is the guitar just grabbed out of the case. There's no "rust" on the pickups. This guitar gets played alot. You want pristine? When I do the Gibson/Edwards comparison, I'll make sure they're all perfect before shooting. Binding flaws...just wait til you see THAT comparison. You could see the file marks on one of my Gibsons from a couple of feet away. Those comparison will embarrass you, if you're a big Gibson diehard fan. That shot you see of the Edwards is like sticking your nose about 2 inches away, is it not? And I oiled all three recently. Dry fretboards have always bothered me about Gibsons and they both sucked the oil up. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my Gibsons. But if you want to put the two brands under a microscope, don't bet your retirement fund on the Gibson...sorry but you'll be greeting people at Walmart in your latter years, to pay the bills.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

Indeed, but where else can you read about guitars and piping hot farts on the same forum?
:D

I'm still kinda kicking myself for not buying an Edwards when I was in Japan. I really liked them a lot, especially the quilted maple top blue/green model, the LP-85SDQM I think. Alas, I had already bought an old Yamaha semihollowbody there so my gear fund was spent.

I hate to admit it, but I think it's the piping hot farts that keep me coming back for more....

:p

• Members

I have an Edwards LP just like Ballfuzz and a Gibson LP Standard.Both are perfect and both are great guitars.I swore I'd never buy another Gibson after years of getting dogs,but when you find a good one they are very,very good.Better or worse doesn't really come into it......just different.

• Members

See, for it me it is a matter of availability. Gibson has stated they are not making lefty guitars any more except Custom Shop. PRS has stated no more lefty guitars period.

Edwards offers lefty versions of thier LPs, and I hope they will start more versions soon. A nice DC or flying V would perfect. Fender (I have 4) is more lefty friendly, but not by much. I wouldn't mind a Showmaster in lefty. Jackson (I own 2) offers most of it's USA stuff in lefty but you gotta pay out the nose.

Agile (I own 2) is very lefty friendly, but suffers some quality issues and availability.

My next axe is going to be an Edwards.

• Members

Originally posted by leftyDaveZ

See, for it me it is a matter of availability. Gibson has stated they are not making lefty guitars any more except Custom Shop. PRS has stated no more lefty guitars period.

Edwards offers lefty versions of thier LPs, and I hope they will start more versions soon. A nice DC or flying V would perfect. Fender (I have 4) is more lefty friendly, but not by much. I wouldn't mind a Showmaster in lefty. Jackson (I own 2) offers most of it's USA stuff in lefty but you gotta pay out the nose.

Agile (I own 2) is very lefty friendly, but suffers some quality issues and availability.

My next axe is going to be an Edwards.

That's why I chose to learn righty instead of lefty.

I'm a lefty for everything else except guitar.

Just so much more choice.

Least I was in my right mind when choosing my Edwards.

• Members

Originally posted by Cade

I'm going to do just that. I don't want to appear an ass in saying this....but so many people are making statements that are so uneducated due to a total and complete lack of experience with Edwards guitars that they have no value whatsoever. Zero. Sorry guys, but it would be like asking a true virgin what her opinions are of sexual intercourse. She's heard about it and may have seen the act thereof, but any opinions she might have would be completely baseless. Totally without value. And that's not really meant as a slam to anyone who has been less than positive about the guitar I posted pictures of...but you really need to honestly evaluate what your thoughts on an Edwards guitar should be worth.

I'm not trying to knock Edwards, but when you compare them side by side they are not THE SAME guitar (as compared to a Gibson). The top is a veneer, the finish is not the same, the inlays are a cheaper looking MOP-type plastic, the binding is not cut to cover the fret ends and the hardware feels more cheap (at least the hardware that came with my LT SG did). Much of this does not matter to most people out there and they are great guitars for the money...but they are not on the same level...sorry. They are not THE SAME guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by sunset_gun

It's not nickel. They use some sort of weird brushed metal. I'm not sure what it is.

That's interesting. I guess it's meant to look more expensive that it is. When I took my Epi to a local (but nationally known) vintage guitar store to have some things done to it, I suggested changing the bridge to something else, and their tech didn't really feel that would make much difference-I know others here feel differently. He made mention of the fact that these cheaper steel units are what original Gibson LP had on back in the day. An people pay obscene amounts of money for these units - I don't even think they were nickel then, maybe they were.

I still may add a GOtoh bridge or something on my next LP, just for comparison sakes. And the brushed nickel look looks cool imo.

• Members

Originally posted by sunset_gun

I'm not trying to knock Edwards, but when you compare them side by side they are not THE SAME guitar (as compared to a Gibson). The top is a veneer, the finish is not the same, the inlays are a cheaper looking MOP-type plastic, the binding is not cut to cover the fret ends and the hardware feels more cheap (at least the hardware that came with my LT SG did). Much of this does not matter to most people out there and they are great guitars for the money...but they are not on the same level...sorry. They are not THE SAME guitar.

I actually prefer the inlay material on the Edwards over the MOT on Gibson production models.

Only Gibson I know that uses real MOP is the LP Custom.

Which is a customshop model now. Not a production LP.

The Edwards inlays are definitely better than the snot green inlays on the LP Classic.

Hardware is Gotoh.

Gibson uses Gotoh hardware as well on some production models.

Not having binding over the fret ends is no big deal to me.

Many luthiers charge extra when having to dress frets with bound ends.

Plus, if you ever go for a fret replacement, say good bye to

your bound fret ends.

I also, feel this is why the MIJs look neater in the binding department.

That's my biggest pet peeve with the Gibbys.

Between the 15th to 22nd fret it always looks like someone took their widdeling knife to the binding.

As for the veneer top. To me it's no different than

having a gold top, all ebony, or all white LP.

It's not going to effect tone anymore than one of those finishes will.

Main thing is having the plain maple carved top underneath.

Many (including some Gibby owners) feel a plain maple carved top gives more spank than a full figured top.

So, I look at it as getting a bit of both worlds.

The look of a figured top with the spank of a plain maple.

Archived