Floyd Rose Bridge, Like or no Like ?

BandOblivion

• Members

I will always own a guitar with a Floyd. It's awesome to put strings on and basically never have to tune the guitar again once its set.

I currently use the Schaller Floyd and Ibanez Edge. They are both rock-solid, fantastic bridges. I prefer the feel of the Schaller (gives more resistance), but the Edge looks cooler :cool:

• Members

I played a friend's Dime with a Floyd Rose yesterday..............WTF?.............whenever I would bend a string, any and all other strings just went flat................I could not play that thing................I guess playing Floyds is an art in itself:confused:

Any floating trem system will do that.

• Members

I played a friend's Dime with a Floyd Rose yesterday..............WTF?.............whenever I would bend a string, any and all other strings just went flat................I could not play that thing................I guess playing Floyds is an art in itself:confused:

I think that adding springs to the trem may lessen this effect quite a bit. Either that or I've just become used to muting strings often, because I rarely notice this on my guitars nowadays. It is noticeable when doing unison bends but its not dramatic.

• Members

That sucks man. I feel bad for you. I agree with another poster that you may have just ended up with a bad Jackson. I have the Jackson DK2M (2006, Pro series), and I have absolutely NO issues with the licensed FR. It stays in perfect tune nearly every time. You shouldn't need to replace it with a OFR. I have had OFRs in other guitars, and I honestly don't see a whole lot of difference.

• Members
They're too much of a pain in the ass for me, and they tend to make a guitar sound thinner, and more trebly. So I vote "no like."
:wave:

Give me a Gibson with a TOM and stoptail anyday.
;)

Think about what you just said for just a second? Typically, Floyds come on shredder guitars, which are usually alder or basswood, which typically has a brighter sound. Gibsons with TOMs are always mahogany, which typically has a darker, more bassy sound. Your complaint is about a thinner, brighter sound and you want to attribute that exclusively to the Floyd. Care to restate that opinion?

Floyds are great once you "get it". They're not for beginners unless you have someone that can give you a hands on explanation of what does what, and how to adjust it. Once a Floyd is adjusted, changing strings is as easy as anything else as long as you go one string at a time and don't change brands or gauge. The adjustment hardly ever needs tweaking unless you use a totally different string. A Floyd is a very precise device, and you can't just "dumbass" your way through with one.. You want simple? Get a TOM or a strat trem, those are idiot proof. I've used Floyds for the better part of 20 years now, and I love em.

The Jackson JT-580 is a cheap POS that I'd never own. If you want a good "Floyd", get either an OFR, a Schaller or an Ibanez Edge Pro equipped guitar. Those are the best of the best.

Archived