Anyone have experience with the les trem stop tail?

anti-9

• Members

I read one guy on here once saying he owned one and he was unhappy with the strength of one of the arm joints... other people in the thread seemed happy with 'em though.

Couple threads:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393413&highlight=les+trem

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284219&highlight=les+trem

• Members

Have you ever tried a Bigsby or a Maestro Trem?

The Maestro does a bit more than the Bigsby but not much.

I'm sure the Les Trem is in the same league of half-step flutter.

It's cool for mild surf shimmer. The Les Trem is certainly cheaper than the Gibson offerings and you can change your mind about it without having drilled new holes.

But if you're a committed dive bomber like I am, it's either a Kahler or a Floyd Rose.

Bigsby on the left, Kahler on the right.

CIMG0001.jpg

Two more Kahlers.

CIMG0110.jpg

Here's a pair with Floyd Rose Originals and to tell you the truth, I think you could find a used guitar with a factory installed Floyd for not much more than what you pay for the Les Trem.

CIMG0111.jpg

I got these two used for $215 & $250canadian. And cured my FR gas for cheap.

• Members

I read one guy on here once saying he owned one and he was unhappy with the strength of one of the arm joints... other people in the thread seemed happy with 'em though.

Couple threads:

Interesting. One thread in partic' stuck out for me. The one where [Weatherboy] mentioned that you really can only go "down" with them as going up can make the spring fall off. I imagine that could be worked out though. Something to consider anyway.

• Members

Here's a pair with Floyd Rose Originals and to tell you the truth, I think you could find a used guitar with a factory installed Floyd for not much more than what you pay for the Les Trem.

Dive bombing isn't really my thing. The thing that I saw that could be apealing about the Les Trem is that its a bit simpler than a bigsby and if for some reason I didn't want it anymore it wouldn't be much of a task to remove it.

As for a floyd, it's not something that I could really picture on a 335 knock off.:freak:

• Members

Dive bombing isn't really my thing. The thing that I saw that could be apealing about the Les Trem is that its a bit simpler than a bigsby and if for some reason I didn't want it anymore it wouldn't be much of a task to remove it.

As for a floyd, it's not something that I could really picture on a 335 knock off.
:freak:

Floyd Rose did actually make a trem in the 80s that fits onto the bridge & tailpiece studs of a Gibson with no routing of the body required. They're very rare though, if one does pop up on ebay it'll probably set you back a few hundred bucks.

floydpaul1.jpg

About halfway down the page ;)

:thu:

• Members

You could try the Schaller LP Trem. It replaces the tune-o-matic, should fit on the same posts without mods. You remove the tailpiece and the trem becomes the whole bridge assembly. The Finnish made Flaxwood guitars use the Schaller LP Trem and it works really well IMO.

• Members

The problem I'm seeing with it is, if the spring is strong enough, it could pull the tailpiece studs right out. Anyone who's replaced those knows that it doesn't take all that much force to get them out. So if you pushed down real quick on that trem arm, the fact that the tailpiece stud falls between the pivot of the trem and the spring could put enough upward pressure on the stud to pop it right out, or at least unseat it and give you all manner of headaches.

Archived