Does anyone ever use "middle" humbucker position?

Johnstinkpants

• Members

Seriously, I pretty much never use it

am i alone here?

I use it alot both on my semi hollow body and my solid body heritage's . I like a clean sound and dont use much in the way of effects other than reverb or delay. rat

• Members

Seriously, I pretty much never use it

am i alone here?

Set up your bridge the way you want it and turn the volume of the other pickup down to about 3 or 4. That way you'll have basically the same bridge sound in the middle position with a bit more warmth. Very usable.

• Members

Back with I mostly played dual HB guitars, I tended to play lead with either the bridge only pickup with relatively high gain (by 80s standards... not 'high gain' by todays standards) or the middle position with less gain... Just enough to be beyond low gain.

I always liked Slash's lead sound with the neck bucker, but I never had a guitar that really sounded believably good on that type of sound. Or maybe I had the wrong amps.

My style is a LOT different now that it was then. With dual HB or dual P90 guitars, I like to use the middle position with the volume on the bridge PU at about 95% and the volume of the neck PU about 10-20%. Still bridgy sounding, but fuller.

• Members

If we're talking a two humbuck guitar, I use the middle position with the neck pu dialed back a few notches (enough to reduce the overall output between the bridge and neck pu) for a more sparkly (less muddy) rhythm tone. Sounds a lot better to me too for quieter, fingerpicked passages. I generally don't like the neck pu all by itself.

Archived