Does anyone ever use "middle" humbucker position?

Johnstinkpants

• Members
:cool: I use my middle postion quite a bit to get a real good woman tone out of my guitar witch also dubbles as my clean tone depending on where my neck pickup's volume is at and also my tone pot is about at half on my neck pickup. This will vary from axe to axe though, and I also play on a single channel amp so my pickup swich is my "channel" select. I say use all your pickup postions to grab the tone your looking for wheather or not you are playing covers or writing origanls it makes you play your guitar instead of playing your amp. If you dont belive me then watch Zakk Wylde or Stevie Vai or any of the well known pro's and you will see what I'm talking about, they are on and off that swich and those volume and tone controls more than I would even like to try at this point:thu: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah::deadhorse:

• Members

I'm not really one for using pickup combinations where the pickups are far apart. I love the Strat 'inbetween' settings, where the combined pickups are physically close together, but the Gibson bridge+neck and the Tele bridge+neck combos just don't brown my toast. There's a hollowness that I feel robs the tone of some of its body. Don't get me wrong - a lot of other folks achieve great tones with these settings, but for me they're just not where it's at.

• Members

I use it most of the time, on both humbucker and single coil guitars.

Same here. I save the bridge p'up for certain solo's. And the neck for others.

In the middle is my rhythm tone.

For me, I can't be solo-ing and or riffing all the time and sing and be in a trio.

I've come to rely on the middle position for stability.

One of my Strats has a 3 way switch and another has the 5 way. I think I prefer the 3 way. I can still use it like a 5 way if I want to. The nasaly sound in between bridge and middle isn't that great. I like a spanky punch for solo's.

• Members

I use it a lot. I find that it's a lot more useful/interesting when the pickups are the same model. When the pickups are dissimilar, you get phase cancellations that can render the tone useless. But the more similar the pickups, the more the phase cancellations yield interesting tones.

That's just been my experience.

Listen to some Johnny A clips for some cool neck/bridge tones.

Archived