The different uses of the volume knob.

Jkater

• Members

Other than just being lower in volume (obviously), what happens, tonewise, when turning down the volume on the guitar itself? Also, what happens at which volume setting (at "5" or "7" or whatever)?

please tell your experience and knowledge and thank you very much.

• Members

The answer here sorta depends on if you are playing naturally with your amp or if you are trying to fill a big hall and your amp is acting as a PA. Some people will tell you to turn guitar tone and volume up full and do everything on the amp. This works well if all the distortion is being done by effects and the amp is just raising volume to fill a space.

The opposite pole is if you are playing with a small amp and aren't trying for a different feel every song. I got what I'd call a 'bluesman' sound last night with mid tone on both amp and guitar, high volume on the amp but mid volume on the guitar. Basicly I find the spot where the guitar doesn't distort and go a bit above that where I can play clean but tight most of the time but crunch and growl a bit when I'm going for it.

This approach would work fine when just playing for friends and although it's way old fashioned you could just mike the guitar to the PA. Choices, choices, choices...

Archived