Squier 51 or Squier Tele Custom II: Which should I get?

Coverdale

• Members

Oh...one more thing...I'd like to try them out...but I can't find any near me...So I'll have to go by specs/reviews/opinions.

I'd like to get both, but now I just want one (the money is being saved for an Edwards JP). And since they're going to be out of production, I'll get one now, and maybe later try to find the other used.

• Members

I've had 3 Squier '51s (and I'm now looking for another one to mod) and I had a Tele Custom - the one with the two humbuckers rather than the P90s.

They were both great guitars for the money. The neck is quite similar on both of them. Apart from the common "sharp frets" on two of the three '51s, I loved all four of the necks.

As for the pickups, the neck pup on the '51 is a bit dull but decent for a standard blues tone. The bridge pup is hot and can sound fantastic depending on the amp you use. I was always impressed with the tone of it through my Peavey Classic 50. I haven't played the Tele Custom with the p90s so I can't comment on that. The humbuckers in the one I owned were a bit muddy but the guitar was a perfect candidate for some new pups since the rest of the guitar was quite good.

All in all, the '51 and the Tele Custom are two of the better guitars that Squier makes. You can get classic rock tones from the '51 stock.

• Members

Own both. Think you should go Tele Custom II. The P-90s are not bad, but if you could get some actual Gibsons to put in there, it would really come alive.

I also own both and agree with the above.

The Squier '51 has more vibe to the tone, more jangly. Although with effects you can make it do anything. Another forumite has posted clips of himself playing metal style tones with his '51, quite amazing when you hear them.

The Tele Custom II is a darker sounding guitar and might be a better choice for the tones you are looking for. The DD P-90s are "okay", but they are a little dark and noisier than the P-90 on my Gibson LP Jr.

Recently I went on a trip to visit family for the Thanksgiving holidays. Out of a large collection of guitars the Tele Custom II was the one I chose to bring along. Durable, good tone and fairly versatile tone as well.

• Members

Thanks for your replies...I don't have a P90's guitar and never played one...so I don't really know what to expect...

I like to describe them as simply being between the tone of a humbucker and a traditional single coil pickup.

They have more output than a SC, they emphasize mids a bit more, and they still have more vibe to their tone than a HB.

• Members

I also have the Tele Custom HH and it's every bit as good of quality as my MIM with the exception of the sharp frets. The finish was actually better on the squier, but it's black so it looks like a shiny bowling ball to me. The frets weren't that bad, after a few days of playing they weren't as sharp. I play through a tube overdrive (chandler) through an old hybrid Peavey Classic (tube power, ss pre-amp). It never sounds muddy. Although I could upgrade the pups I've remained satisfied with them. I'm not really the biggest humbucker fan anyway, so I wouldn't even know where to start for an upgrade.

The 51 is also a very good value. If you like the strat body style over the Tele, then that would be the way to go. Ultimatley it's going to be a more comfortable guitar and if you like to tweak guitars there's a ton of possibilities.

Archived