Why no set neck strats?

moestock

• Members

If they exist, I havent seen one. Why does fender not make these? I think there are telecasters with set necks, but no strats? I was just wondering about the importance of a set neck, considering fender is selling strats for well over $5K with bolt ons. Any opinions on this?

• Members

The Fender Custom Shop makes some every once in a while. I have a catalog from around 1998 that has some very nice ones. They were around $1500 - 2000 I believe.

Also, there's the recent "Showmaster" Strats that were Made In Korea. More of a super-strat than a traditional one though.

• Members

Here's my MIK Showmaster Blackout. Kind of a nice guitar really. One of the phenomenal blowout deals from MF in 2005 - only $250 with a Seymour Duncan '59 and Pearly Gates Plus (alnico V) bridge.

BlackoutShow.jpg

BlackoutShow001.jpg

BlackoutShow003.jpg

Oh, yeah, and locking tuners too!

• Members

IMO they'd take away from the strattiness

+1

There you go.

Same with teles. Fenders were designed as bolt ons and thats the signature sound.

Lots of other makers copy the shape & elec w/custom set neck versions.

Nice, but not the same. Changes the sound.

• Members

It was always Leo Fender's thing apparantly - he wanted to do something new to compete with Gibson, and make something out of more common timber with more replaceable and reparable parts, and the bolt-on neck was a key component.

• Members

There used to be a Ritchie Blackmore signature Strat that was set neck.

Ritchie used to glue-in his strat necks, but still kept the hardware also. this is technically not a set net type of setup. If Ritchie thought it made a difference I'm not going to argue with him.

Personally I don't know if it makes that much of a difference. But other than making a specific Blackmoore copy why would Fender bother?

If it doesn't do anything then it seems a waste of effort - and a major hassle if you want to work on the neck.

And if it does make a difference then it won't sound like a strat anyway.

Archived