George Takei, 'Trek's' Sulu: I'm gay

Ed A.

• Members

Originally posted by amplayer

As a parent of a 5 year old, I can tell you that trying to explain it and completely leave out the sex is not a satisfying answer.

If your 5 year old asked you why a heterosexual couple lived together next door - or if your 5 year old asked why he/she has a mommy and a daddy - do you also feel compelled to insert sex into the answer: "Mr and Mrs Jones live together next door because, well, they enjoy @$#%ing and sometimes @$#%ing and also like Chinese food?

If you were watching the academy awards with your kid, would you cover his/her eyes when the stars walked the red carpet with their dates of the opposite sex because they were broadcasting their heterosexuality, requiring a sexual explanation?

I just don't see why a young kid would need a more explicitly sexual answer for a homosexual revelation than a heterosexual one if it is as generic as Sulu revealing that he is gay. It's not as if he's performing felatio on a Klingon on live TV.

If the kid is "innocent" (to use your term above), there would be no expectation of a sexual explanation, and a non-sexual explanation should be satisfactory.

I just don't think the Sky Is Falling if a gay actor comes out, and there's arguably a number of good things that happen as a result.

-Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Brittanylips

I just don't think the Sky Is Falling if a gay actor comes out, and there's arguably a number of good things that happen as a result.

I never said the sky was falling. What I said is I wish they'd just keep their mouths shut.

I see no benefit to society when a celeb discusses his/her sexual preferences publicly. I also don't want to know which celeb is sleeping with which other one. Most people obviously love to hear about these things. Otherwise it wouldn't make the headlines.

In the grander scheme, there are way more important issues in child rearing than whether or not children hear about celeb sexual issues. Still, the infatuation our society has with sex and celebs is not in the best interest of children or the people raising them.

• Members

I general, I think our society's obsession with celebrities is unhealthy - both for society and for celebrities. I also agree that it's more difficult to shelter and protect children in our media oriented age.

The upside in this particular case is that a group which has been historically persecuted (gays) now has yet another person of stature who has claimed them as his own, in a demonstration of self acceptance. Even in this time of increased tolerance of homosexuality, this act of coming out of the closet took a certain amount of bravery. Leaving aside the sexual aspect of this situation for a moment, I think that this example of self acceptance and bravery provided a good role model for children and adults alike. The downside of this event may be debated, but the upside seems clear.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

The kids/gay thing was taken care of very easily for me. We had gay neighbors at one point, very nice guys and good neighbors. We'd have dinners together and hang out by the BBQ, go over and celebrate with them for Christmas, that kind of thing.

We never really discussed the concept of gayness with my daughter, she knew gays and could decide for herself. Her take is that some men love other men instead of women, and some women love women instead of men. It ranks on about the same level as some days there are clouds in the sky, and sometimes there aren't.

What's also interesting is that before the gay neighbors, we had black neighbors when she was younger. So she doesn't really care about skin color, either.

I guess the whole point of this is that being exposed to people of other races/creeds/religions/sexual orientation who are just normal folks makes the process of tolerance very easy if you catch someone at a young enough age.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

>

Case in point: Pot is permitted in Holland. Guess which industrialized European country has the lowest per capita pot use? Last I heard it was Holland.

Hmm. I didn't know that. Is there any scientific data suggesting that the reason for the lower pot use is directly related to the legality?

Off topic, but I personally think the drug war here in the U.S. is mostly stupid, especially for marijuana. I don't see how the illegality helps society.

• Members

Not that I know of. But I've spent a lot of time in Holland and know a lot of people there. The attitude about pot among my friends is "yeah, I'll go into the cafe and smoke a joint for my birthday" or whatever. Because it's so readily available, there's nothing "special" about it, and no need to get crazy about finding some.

But it's important to mention that pot is "permitted," not "legal." So if you get high and act like an ass, they can still bust you.

Archived