Kravitz to play Jimi in bio-pic

tdempsey

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Remember a few years ago when they said they'd picked a white guy to play him? I can't remember who it was now... that was one of the more ridiculous things I'd heard in a long time and I'm glad it didn't happen! Yeah, Kravitz seems like a good choice.

I agree with you. Kravitz is pretty good and I can't think of anyone else who would be better.

• Members

Originally posted by phaeton

Another interesting question....

How will they portray his death? Do we need to see the whole puking/choking thing?

I forget what they did with the Jim Morrison film, but it was kinda corny anyways....

In the movie, he quietly passed away while taking a bath...I liked that film though. Kilmer did an excellent job.

• Members

I also think that Lenny Kravitz is a good choice, however, I totally agree with the post here by "60hurts" naming Randy Hansen as the most likely candidate. I saw him in concert in Denver back in 78 or 79 performing as The Randy Hansen Machine Gun: A tribute to Jimi Hendrix and I couldn't have been more blown away. I'm a huge Hendrix fan, and believe me, he totally nailed it. He not only plays and sounds like him, he even looks like him, which is pretty amazing since he is white. It was a surreal experience. The show opened with a darkened stage when purple footlights came up shrouded in billows of fog. Hansen had been lying unseen on the stage covered in fog when he slowly starts rising up out of the mist playing Purple Haze. Other than the fact that my ears were ringing for three days afterwards, it was one of the most amazing concerts I've ever seen. I don't know how he is as an actor, but it's hard to imagine anyone more musically appropriate for the part.

• Members

Originally posted by Karma1

he even looks like him, which is pretty amazing since he is white.

Not too amazing. Hendrix was of mixed heritage, as is Kravitz - the name is a bit of a giveaway. ;) - So, I'm not surprised that there might be some white dudes with Hendrix-like looks.

• Members

Are you kidding me - Randy Hansen is someone you'd consider to act as Hendrix? The guy is white! What if an African-american played Johnny Cash? That ain't Cash!

Another note: I don't mind tribute bands, but I hate the ones that go full getup. I think it's disgracing.

• Members

I think it will be cool to watch Lenny Kravitz try to play guitar left handed and upside down.

Even though Lenny is a master of most things music, that seems like a pretty difficult feat.:thu:

Oh, and I'm just glad (like most of you) that the fools didn't pick a white guy to play Jimi. Plus, I think it's wonderful they got a real musician. If the director is good, they should be able to work around any acting deficiencies Lenny has. I wouldn't be surprized if Lenny is a pretty good actor anyways.

• Members

It should be interesting. I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled it off. It's helps that he is a musician. I think that at times that can go a long way towards being convincing, but it's really the off the stage stuff that he really needs to sell.

I look at the Jamie Foxx/Ray situation for hope. Jamie has basically been know as a comedian, not as a musician nor as a serious actor. I think his comedic skills went a long way towards playing Ray off stage, but in one fell swoop he quited all of the naysayers. I'm hoping Lenny really digs deep and finds a way to not screw it up.

Peace

Archived