Who's playing owns Brian May on guitar?

White Falcon

• Members

Owns his playing? You mean is better than him? I'm a Queen hater so I'll go with:

Hendrix

Dave Mason

Neil Young

Jerry garcia

Jorma Kaukonen

The guitarist from The Wailers forgot his name.

Mick Jones

John Squire

Johnny Marr

Kevin Shields

• Members

May is unique for sure, one of the greats of the past 30 years. I put him in the same league as Gilmore and Iommi. In fact, him and Iommi are friends and have played together, I think he played with Queen at Live Aide or some similar big show. And I know Iommi is thought of as this metal guy who writes simple stuff, but his solos are amazing, his riffs memorable, and his early use of doubling solos was innovative.

If I really sit down and think about it, Iommi, Gilmore, May, Hendrix and Knophler might be my favorite guitarists of all time. Tone wise, few people can do what May did. Amazing, amazing tone. They might be my favorites, but not influential to my playing though -- I have never tried to emulate Knophler for instance or written anything similar to that, I just love to listen to his style. Same with May, I can listen to him all day, I just don't find him influencing my playing. Iommi, yes and 90% of my style comes from him -- and even Gilmore I've tried to get influence from.

And white falcon, I always enjoy your posts, mainly because of your avitar. I want to get sick and go to that hospital!

• Members

I've always liked Queen, but I was never a huge Brain May fan until I got older. I've actually been gassing pretty hard for one of those Red Specials the last few days so that I can try to get some of those great tones that he had. I can get pretty close to some of those sounds for a few seconds, but then he starts flipping pickup and phase switches and {censored} and everything is different.

Its funny how some of the coolest players out there IMHO weren't just good players, but pretty technically savvy as well. EVH and May both built guitars to get what they wanted and both of them really tinkered with the signal path to get those signature sounds. Whether it was dimmer switches or the Deacy Amp they created some of the premiere and most sought after tones for that generation.

But the real testament is that the songs and the playing still hold up today.

Archived