what to do? (gibson P-90 content)

renier

• Members

hey people!

my current main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Jem ruby (for those of you who don't know this type: it's basically a Les paul studio with gold hardware, 2 P-90's, and 2tone finish.)

i love it; plays great, looks awesome, sounds killer. the only thing is; i am used to humbucker guitarist, and especially in the neck position, i kinda miss a nice PAF. the P-90 sounds heavenly in the neck position, but it's kinda "nasal" in the bridge position. A little to less lowmids and lows. now there are a few options:

a) trade the guitar for another gibson

+ : no mods, not too much funds needed

- : this guitar has sentimental value, so that really is no option. plus, i like the neck P-90.

b) buy another Gibson

+ : More guitars!

- : needs some funding, and i will still have the problem when playing the guitar.

c) Mod the guitar

+ : not much funding needed, can create "best of both worlds", can keep playing a guitar with emotional value.

- : modding is always a risk. i'm not shure if it would turn out good sound and look-wise.

if i'm going with C, there is another choice: a full humbucker would probably sound best (i would go with a burstbucker pro or a duncan custom 5) but it would mean rerouting a pickup cavity. that would seriously lower the value of the instrument..

another option would be to go for a mini humbucker. i am not shure if i would get anywhere near a full humbucker tone with one of those. and is it possible to mount them in a P-90 cavity without mods?

help people, i'm lost!

• Members

No major mods needs to the body -- you can buy humbuckers in P90 sizes from several makers. Gibson has the P100 of course and then Duncan makes things as well, but I'd buy from Vintage Vibes though. Retain the look and value of your guitar, but just have a P90 size bucker in the bridge.

• Members

If you like the neck P90 and want a hum bucker in the Bridge maybe you should look at the BFG .. You might even make a profit on the swap...

see the BFG thread that's happening right now...

well, i agree with was has been said in that thread: the poickup combo on it sounds great, the rest sucks. way to industrial for my tastes. it might be a good idea to try one to see how the pickup combo performs..

thanx for the idea.

• Members

No major mods needs to the body -- you can buy humbuckers in P90 sizes from several makers. Gibson has the P100 of course and then Duncan makes things as well, but I'd buy from Vintage Vibes though. Retain the look and value of your guitar, but just have a P90 size bucker in the bridge.

hmm, can;t seem to find a vintage vibes website though.

i like the idea.

altough buying a nice alpine white studio to satisfy my humbucking needs is a good idea to.

• Members

Agree the BFG looks very ordinary...but it is a great idea. I like the idea here to put in the humbucker without any cosmetic changes. If it doesn't work am sure u can sell the humbucker and you won't have lost too much . You might consider coil tapping the humbicker as well - replace a volume knob with push pull - more flexibilty...

• Members

Agree the BFG looks very ordinary...but it is a great idea. I like the idea here to put in the humbucker without any cosmetic changes. If it doesn't work am sure u can sell the humbucker and you won't have lost too much . You might consider coil tapping the humbicker as well - replace a volume knob with push pull - more flexibilty...

yup. sounds like a plan.

funny. i love how the p-90 sounds in the neck pos. so much more alive and gritty then a humbucker. buckers can get a bit dull and overly smooth on the neck position.

strange how that exact same pickup can sound way too thin and messy in the bridge position.

On the studio gem, they even used the same pups for the neck and bridge position (no output compensation) so even when you do like the tone, you have to turn the neck pup way down and the bridge pup all the way up to compensate for the difference in string vibration.

• Members

we got bingo...

www.VintageVibeGuitars.com

• Members
hey people!

my current main guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Jem ruby (for those of you who don't know this type: it's basically a Les paul studio with gold hardware, 2 P-90's, and 2tone finish.)

i love it; plays great, looks awesome, sounds killer. the only thing is; i am used to humbucker guitarist, and especially in the neck position, i kinda miss a nice PAF. the P-90 sounds heavenly in the neck position, but it's kinda "nasal" in the bridge position. A little to less lowmids and lows. now there are a few options:

a) trade the guitar for another gibson

+ : no mods, not too much funds needed

- : this guitar has sentimental value, so that really is no option. plus, i like the neck P-90.

b) buy another Gibson

+ : More guitars!

- : needs some funding, and i will still have the problem when playing the guitar.

c) Mod the guitar

+ : not much funding needed, can create "best of both worlds", can keep playing a guitar with emotional value.

- : modding is always a risk. i'm not shure if it would turn out good sound and look-wise.

if i'm going with C, there is another choice: a full humbucker would probably sound best (i would go with a burstbucker pro or a duncan custom 5) but it would mean rerouting a pickup cavity. that would seriously lower the value of the instrument..

another option would be to go for a mini humbucker. i am not shure if i would get anywhere near a full humbucker tone with one of those. and is it possible to mount them in a P-90 cavity without mods?

help people, i'm lost!

It Gem, not Jem. It isn't a geeky Jackson.:idea: Have you adjusted your pickups/poles? Do you use your tone control? IMO, most bridge P90's dial in best similarly to a Tele bridge pickup. With the tone control rolled back about 1/3 of the way.

Archived