the changing face of american slang

• Moderators
Originally posted by elsongs

"TODAY'S rad"?!?!? OMG, Rad was what we said back in the '80s...

Grody to the max,

Elson

(from urban Los Angeles, 1980s)

Rad's out? Everyone knows I'm an old stoner dude from the '70s?

:(

Well, thank God, I've never prided myself on my knowledge of current lingo. You're really "off the hook" for saving me from embarrassing myself. Thanks Dawg. Too many nights on the thizzle made my head misplace decades.

Oh, and I want to let everybody know...

Read Books, Get Brain doesn't mean read books and you'll get smart, it means you'll get oral sex. Alright, now go out there and don't embarrass yourself!

• Members

Originally posted by meccajay

All ya have to do is watch a lil MTV from time to time.. X-games events or reality shows, and you'll be there.

I'm thinking that anyone who gets their contemporary slang from MTV is not going to be perceived as way wicked cool.

• Members

A related, but parallel situation:

The New Hacker's Dictionary

Computing/geeky subculture slang. Not to be confused with cracker* slang, nor the current AID* slang.

Otherwise, I could whip out some late 80s/early 90s stoner slang, but i'm sure it's pretty ate up by now ;)

*cracker: What most people mean when they say "hacker". Crackers are t3h d00dz th4+ 4l//4Yz br34k $h1+!!!!!!!!!1oneoneone

*AID AOL ID10T spk. OMG! C U L8R DUD!!!!!1

• Members

After reading all this "modern" slang...I have to just say, I am now quite certain that young does not equal cool. :p I'm 24 and have no idea what half this stuff means.

Although, I will say that I use "random" alot, in regards to an odd consequence or something, like running into to someone I haven't seen in a while, or seeing something unexpected.

I sound ridiculous half the time though...I have alot of friends in southern Ontario and Newfoundland, Canada, so I pick up on their slang. The occasional "eh" goes by fairly unnoticed here, the "oats" (outs) and "aboats" (abouts), get me occasional cracks from friends, but the Newfoundlandisms like saying "he doesn't know what he's at" (trans: he has no idea what he's doing)...well that just gets me looks of total bafflement.

P.S.

Crackers are t3h d00dz th4+ 4l//4Yz br34k $h1+!!!!!!!!!1oneoneone

What in the hell does this mean???

• Members

What in the hell does this mean???

"crackers are the dudes that always break {censored}"

4 being A, + being T, etc

It is kind of a funny evolution/devolution

back in the "stripe your cardstack" days (ugh, remind me to quit aging), a hacker performed more kludges, but the guys would could massage system...perform elegantly -- those were wizards...surgical precision instead of hacking...scalpel instead of axe.

seems like in the newer gen, "hacker" has become somewhat more positive (at least in terms of skill level)

• Members

I use "random" frequently, but differently. In my case, it means the same as "normal-everyday", "inspecific" or "unimportant".

"We went to some lame bar, drank some random beer and were put to sleep by some half-enthused 80s pop cover band."

Or

"The J201 is not your random NPN Transistor."

Archived