Got the wrong pickups on ebay - what would you do?

Cloacal-X

• Members

Okay, so I won an auction on ebay for a set of Lindy Fralin Real 54s, and I was pretty hyped. They arrived and were packed awesome, but since fralins aren't marked I decided to check the DC resistance just to make sure everything added up. Much to my surprise, they measured in the 8-10k range - 8.7, 8.3, and 9.8k respectively (neck to bridge). Also, the wire looks like 43 gauge enamel and the magnets aren't beveled.

Long story short, I think I got a set of Fralin High Outputs. I do still believe them to be fralins, because they're fiber bobbins, have the correct tooling marks, vacuum-potted, correct stagger, correct pole spacing, and the DC resistance pretty much matches a 15%+ set of high outputs.

Now, I contacted the seller and the guy is super cool about it - I feel pretty confident if I just want to return 'em, he'll make things right. So everything seems cool there. I don't think he intentionally misrepresented them or anything, somewhere along the lines there was a mixup and I suspect it probably happened at the shop where he bought them 4 years ago.

But as an afterthought, I decided to toss them in my guitar just to see - lo and behold, I actually really like them. They've only got a tiny bit less top-end than my old APS-IIs and they've got a lot more midrange and overall power. I thought they'd be really dark and muddy, but they aren't at all. They're quite sweet, and still plenty of that single-coil vibe and just the right amount of sparkle.

So I'm thinking about keeping them, but part of me says, they aren't what I bought, send 'em back. But then part of me says, who cares?! They're *good*. What would you do?

• Members

ive just done the same..mistakenly ordered a neck pickup as a bridge position pickup..thought id try it out anyway before maybe moving it on but it sounds great in the bridge position..no problem at all...and as i dont know what the proper bridge pickup would have sounded like im not missing anything..

it sounds great as it is..im happy..im keeping it..

• Members

Sometimes things you didn't expect to work do. I bought a Jackson Soloist

back in '98 that had Kent Armstrong pickups installed and thought I would

replace them with EMGs but ended up loving the Armstrongs and have even

thought of swapping out the EMGs in one of my other guitar with similar

pickups. The tone and touch sensitivity surprised me. They're great.

The neck pickup PAF has a faux jazz-archtop sound that shocked me from

a solidbody guitar. And the lead pickup has this beautiful singing edge

with just the slightest rasp to it, it's just nice and loose and singey and

the EMGs have more overall output and are probably quieter but even the

89/85 with the fat boost doesn't have the same tonal contour or edge to

the tone. Ahh.

Keep them! You may have just stumbled into your new sound without

even realizing it.

• Members

You guys are pretty much echoing my own sentiment. I'm just so fickle sometimes, so I don't always know when to trust my own judgement. It's interesting though, it just goes to show sometimes the difference between what we *think* we like and what we *actually* like.

• Members
So why do you want to get rid of the ones you like?
:confused:

Good question - simply because they aren't what I originally paid for or expected. That's all. But after trying them, I've come to realize it doesn't really matter. :)

• Members
But as an afterthought, I decided to toss them in my guitar just to see - lo and behold,
I actually really like them
. They've only got a tiny bit less top-end than my old APS-IIs and they've got a lot more midrange and overall power. I thought they'd be really dark and muddy, but they aren't at all.
They're quite sweet, and still plenty of that single-coil vibe and just the right amount of sparkle.

So I'm thinking about keeping them, but part of me says, they aren't what I bought, send 'em back.
But then part of me says, who cares?! They're *good*.
What would you do?

I think you answered your own question. :D

• Members

What's more important to you?

The sound or the spec sheet?

Hehe, in this case I'd be inclined to agree, the sound is the only thing that matters here. But that's partially because pickup specifications usually suck, they don't really tell you anything about how the pickups will actually sound. Pickups should come with spectral plots, to begin with. But that's a story for another day.

Archived