Advice on second guitar please

ILikeGuitar

• Members

Hi I've been playing guitar for around 8 months now after deciding to try learning again. I guess I'm sort of transitioning from beginner to intermediate player now. I started using a Squier Affinity Strat and Squier amp (from that value pack), which I've had for 5-6 years. Right now I think the amp and guitar are dying on me because theres a ridiculous amount of ugly noise coming from them. Also the guitar can't seem to hit notes correctly, and sounds bad in terms of intonation. I'm looking for a second guitar that will suit me well and will cost around $200-350. I was looking at getting a standard Fender Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul or Epiphone SG of some type. Do you guys have any recommendations on model?

• Members

I'd recommend you take your current guitar to a good tech and have him/her do a good setup on it. That and a new set of string should take care of your intonation issues.

As for the amp and the guitar dying on you, have you tried using a new cable? If not the cable then it's not unusual for a guitar's selector switch to go bad and cause problems similar to what you've described.

• Members

I recommend you get a Fender Standard "FAT" Strat...it gives you best of both worlds to explore. I paid like $350 for mine and gig with it (and I own more expensive gear).

Hi I've been playing guitar for around 8 months now after deciding to try learning again. I guess I'm sort of transitioning from beginner to intermediate player now. I started using a Squier Affinity Strat and Squier amp (from that value pack), which I've had for 5-6 years. Right now I think the amp and guitar are dying on me because theres a ridiculous amount of ugly noise coming from them. Also the guitar can't seem to hit notes correctly, and sounds bad in terms of intonation. I'm looking for a second guitar that will suit me well and will cost around $200-350. I was looking at getting a standard Fender Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul or Epiphone SG of some type. Do you guys have any recommendations on model?

• Members

I'd recommend you take your current guitar to a good tech and have him/her do a good setup on it. That and a new set of string should take care of your intonation issues.

As for the amp and the guitar dying on you, have you tried using a new cable? If not the cable then it's not unusual for a guitar's selector switch to go bad and cause problems similar to what you've described.

Hmm I don't think I have any guitar shops around here, except for Guitar Center but I don't think they do any repairs. I'll go check to see if they have anyone that will do a setup on it. If it is a bad selector switch, how much is that usually to get it replaced?

• Members

I've always done my own work on guitars so I'm not sure what they'd charge to change a switch but I do know a new switch will cost you about $15. If it does turn out that your switch is bad you can sometimes get it working again with contact cleaner but that's usually just a temporary fix.

• Members

It probably needs a setup and the electronics replaced. I'd just get a new guitar; you'll be much more excited about playing. Check out Epi SGs. Just go play some guitars.

And start saving for a decent amp.

I found a store that does setups and its 60 bucks for a setup... ugh

What model Epi SG do you recommend? I was looking at the G-310, G-400, Vintage G-400, and 1966 reissue

I'm looking for most bang for the buck. Hopefully Epiphones are made better than my Squier strat

• Members

I found a store that does setups and its 60 bucks for a setup... ugh

Yeah that's about typical. You could probably find one for 45 if you have more places to check out. Money well spent, either way. But that doesn't include whatever electronics work you'd need for that strat.

What model Epi SG do you recommend? I was looking at the G-310, G-400, Vintage G-400, and 1966 reissue

I recommend the one that looks, sounds and feels best to you.

I'm looking for most bang for the buck. Hopefully Epiphones are made better than my Squier strat

I have an Epiphone LP and a Squier strat, and I've played a few Epi SGs. All Epiphones I've tried were light years better than my stock Squier.

Better bang for the buck tends to be in the lower end of the spectrum. As a rule, guitars that are twice as expensive are NOT twice as good, (whatever 'twice as good' means). Expense increases exponentially with respect to craftsmanship. There are awesome Epi SGs in the $300 range.

But you really have to try them out. Go to the store and have fun!

• Members

I'd get an SX and mod it :)

• Members

If you feel that you'll stick with playing for the rest of your life, save up and buy a real guitar, one that you don't have to "upgrade", but instead will stay in your collection and give you a certain tone. American Stratocaster, Les Paul, Jackson DK1, Gretsch... etc

• Members

I recommend you get a Fender Standard "FAT" Strat...it gives you best of both worlds to explore. I paid like $350 for mine and gig with it (and I own more expensive gear).

Absolutely right. I would always recommend an HSS for a starter covering the most range.

• Members

I talked to my friend, he said if I was going to get a new guitar I should spend some more and get an electric I would be happy with for a pretty long time.

I mean that advice makes sense in the long run.. but I am a little bit strapped for cash hmm. I would buy a pretty good electric, but hopefully I would be good enough in about 2 years to be able to use the guitar to its fullest and take advantage of it.

• Members

If it were me, I'd have a setup done on the guitar and put the money towards a new amp. Even a $160 Roland Cube 20x would be a huge improvement.

If you're determined to get a guitar, the G400 Vintage and Standard Strats are great guitars for the money. There's also a ton of great cheap used guitars...Peavey Predator, Washburn Mercury series, used G&L Tribute ASAT or Legacy, Yamaha Pacificas, etc.

• Members

For 350 bucks,I would have a setup done on your guitar.Then I would order this from Musicians Friend today for $199!

070524_yes.jpg

I think a better amp would be the best place to start.You would still have a few bucks left for some mods on your guitar.

Archived