Horrible guitar lesson experience

chiro972

• Members

So I see a guy advertising guitar lessons on cragslist. He states he has been teaching for 20 years and specializes in blues and classic rock styles. He is teaching a blues guitar class at the local junior college. So I schedule an initial lesson. My first tip off should have been when he told me if I wanted to do the lesson on an electric that I should bring an amp as he didn't have one in the shop yet??

So I take my practice amp and go. This guy couldn't play for play for sh1t! I was stunned. I've had instructors who couldn't teach very well, but this guy couldn't even play well at all. What the heck does it take to find a decent guitar teacher?

• Members

Ahh a fellow North Carolinian. Your pretty far away from carborro but there are some of the best teachers here. They all have played in a band and most have graduated from schools like berkley music school. They are awsome and definetly know how to play. It would be worth the weekly trip. You can check the website here. http://www.cmstudios.org/ again im not sure how far away you are from here but if you close enough this place is the best!

• Members
Guy must have some serious brass neck to charge for lessons, if he's as gash as you say.

Perhaps you could have offered
him
a lesson?
:D

That actually happened!! He asked what kind of stuff I liked to play and I started playing some SRV "Cold Shot" I play this like crap, but he said "play that again, I've been trying to learn that one"

I {censored} you not.

• Members

Ahh a fellow North Carolinian. Your pretty far away from carborro but there are some of the best teachers here. They all have played in a band and most have graduated from schools like berkley music school. They are awsome and definetly know how to play. It would be worth the weekly trip. You can check the website here.
again im not sure how far away you are from here but if you close enough this place is the best!

Thanks man. I went to the Raleigh Music Academy for a while, but it was just too much driving. Carborro is another 30 minutes further each way. With gas at $3.09 around here, that would be too far for an every week thing. I wonder if they would consider a twice a month schedule.

On another topic. If you are in the Carborro area, are there any hangouts where you get together with others and just jam? That would be worth an occasional drive also. I have done that a bit here, but I can only find people who want to play bluegrass. I really want to play blues and classic rock kind of stuff.

• Members

That actually happened!! He asked what kind of stuff I liked to play and I started playing some SRV "Cold Shot" I play this like crap, but he said "play that again, I've been trying to learn that one"

I {censored} you not.

hahaha Classic.

• Members

Thanks man. I went to the Raleigh Music Academy for a while, but it was just too much driving. Carborro is another 30 minutes further each way. With gas at $3.09 around here, that would be too far for an every week thing. I wonder if they would consider a twice a month schedule.

On another topic. If you are in the Carborro area, are there any hangouts where you get together with others and just jam? That would be worth an occasional drive also. I have done that a bit here, but I can only find people who want to play bluegrass. I really want to play blues and classic rock kind of stuff.

Im sure you could probley work something out with them on the 2 month thing. Lessons come in 30mins to an hour. Some teachers im sure wouldnt mind more. Im not sure about the group thing. I can ask around though im sure there is because its a very musical area. I live in chapel hill wich is 5 minutes away and only really go to carrboro for my lesson.

• Members
Sorry..no sympathy.

Its YOUR fault.

Why?

You didnt ask WHAT exactly he'd been teaching for 20 yrs!

:D

Actually I did ask exactly. In fact I sent him an email detailing exactly what I was looking for and he replied that he could teach what I wanted to learn.

• Members

Im sure you could probley work something out with them on the 2 month thing. Lessons come in 30mins to an hour. Some teachers im sure wouldnt mind more. Im not sure about the group thing. I can ask around though im sure there is because its a very musical area. I live in chapel hill wich is 5 minutes away and only really go to carrboro for my lesson.

Cool, thanks. I used to live on Hwy 54 between chapel hill and durham. Being in smithfield was quite a culture shock. I grew up in San Diego, so North Carolina in general was a culture shock.

• Members

my dad has lots of problems like this. he plays bass, i play drums. the last teacher he had stated he had lots of expierence and when he got there he didnt even know how to read music. all he could read was tab and thats what he tought.

• Members

I {censored} you not.

Damn, that's some funny {censored} right there :)

I {censored} you not.

It's sad but it made me laugh!!!:D

• Members

just know there are no shortcuts, you want someone who was taught how to teach people.

look for a berklee or GIT degree.

remember theres also some great online schools, sam ash being one of them and its run by a bunch of guys from berklee.

i know you might be thinking "theres gotta be someone good around here that can teach just as good". i know man, i went thru 5 teachers myself, all of them pure {censored} until i found a good one. heres the thing. you have NO WAY of knowing if they are good or not until youve already given them your money. THATS why asking for a berklee or GIT degreed teacher is so important. because without giving them a dime, you know already theyre qualified to teach you.

good luck man, if you want more info on online stuff pm me ill hook you up there are other GOOD schools online other than the one i go to, i spent quite a bit of time researching and checking them out.

• Members

I {censored} you not.

NICE! now THAT is a cold shot, baby.:D

• Members

Sounds like that guy should have been much more upfront about what level he was comfortable teaching. I think there's a place for patient, iron-eared teachers who can work with absolute beginners...this guy should have advertised himself as such rather than lead you to believe he could help you. Too bad...I haven't had much luck with lessons, either. I'm too good for the beginning teachers but way, way too lazy (and untalented) for serious instructors. :D

• Members

I {censored} you not.

So, what did you charge him for the lesson? :wave:

Archived