EVH - String boiling

Mackin

• Members

Well try this trick. If your sound is feeling a little weak, go to a farm and baggy up some horse manure. Use some aromatic herbs and spice and seal up the bag real good. Because of the texture, you'll get a really fat warm sound out of it. I do this regularly to my strats and they sound flawless!

• Members

It's nothing new, my dad was boiling his acoustic strings back in the 50s. He also put a drop of dish washing soap in the water. Removing the crud from between the raps brings the highs back out. He also taught me rudimentary tapping around the same time.

I've never preboiled strings but I do know that boiling does not restore new string suppleness to old strings.

It only takes a couple of seconds to stretch new strings when you install them and it works pretty good.

If boiling strings really takes the stretch out, I suspect we would have heard about it along time ago and everybody would be selling them.

It would be a cheap experiment to find out if it works.

• Members

This thread makes me think P.T. Barnum was right. The only thing you would get from this is disinfected strings and faster oxidation (unless you play underwater!). Do the folks at D'Addario, Elixir and Ernie Ball tell you to boil their strings? These companies know more about metalurgy and tone than most of us would care to forget.

However, if you still want to buy into this myth there's this really cool bridge in Brooklyn and I know a guy who knows a guy who can get you a really good lease on it. It's a money maker fer shur.

• Members

actually seriously boiling strings does work but you have to wipe them of after because the crud is just loosened i only boil for 5 mins and then i just wipe em down and let them dry for a bit then stick em on does the job when your on such a tight budget

• Members

I read that article way back and did it for a few years. Seemed to work for me then, but what the hell did I know?! Now I just stretch them good and hard before clamping them down and that seems to work just fine.

• Members

Can anyone post some of the other stuff he said, which has turned out to be false info? I'm intrigued!

Just a few gems from memory: His amp was so hot, he had to re-tube his amp every night so it wouldn't blow up.

When he discussed the Variac mod, some of the details he gave were hooey ...and a good way to blow your amp up. It can be done, but his directions were misleading.

That the late Amp Tech Jose' A. had done major mods to his amp.As I recall, when Bogner did some restoration work on it he discovered: "Uhhh...well folks, it's bone stock!"

That he *never* used a distortion pedal of any kind;it was all tube distortion.

...Until a sharp-eyed & curious interviewer saw a BOSS overdrive stomp box hidden in his rack. (Opps!) The story from his Tech was "Uh...oh, THAT pedal. He only uses it on certain nights when he needs some extra boost."

The list goes on. The funny thing is he admits that he'd pull this stuff out of his ass in interviews, just to mess with people that wanted to copy him.

• Members

back in the 80's when i was a poor teen, i think i read that article from Ed and started boiling strings. not for any stretching reason, which makes no sense to me because it seems they'd only stretch under tension and if they are coiled up in a pot, what sort of "stretching" would you hope to achieve anyway (sounds silly).

I would boil them just to clean off all the crud which worked well. it gave dead strings a few more weeks of life is all. no oxidation whatsoever or corrosion, etc - you dry them of course.

it also gave a little twanginess to my mac and cheese, but it hasnt had any lasting effect....:freak: :freak: :freak:

Archived