EVH - String boiling

Mackin

• Members

What ? :confused:

Does this actually work ? [i read about it in the wikipedia article on Eddie Van Halen]

I boil the strings so they stretch, because if you just put them on and clamp it down, the strings stretch out on the guitar. I just take a pack and let it boil for 20 minutes in the hot water. And then I dry them in the sun, because otherwise they rust. But I only use them one night anyway, so who cares if they rust?

Is it only because of the temperature ? When they cool down, do they retract to their original lenght/tension ? Has anyone tried it ?

Thanks for looking !

• Members

I have not tried it. Matter of fact the only time I have heard of any string boiling is from bass players. Some bass players boil their old strings to take the crud off, thus getting more use out of them.

I usually stretch out new guitar strings by hand. Takes mabye 10 min or so mabye less. Seems to work great.

• Members

I use my first two fingers underneath the string and my thumb on top of the string, for better control and feel you know, its all in your finger's right??? LOL I responded to a similar thread a few days ago, and said that I had also read in a book somewhere that one solution to string stretching was to actually "tin" the ball end wraps to prevent them from cinching down under tension, I have never done it, dont even know that I would try, but was mentioned.

• Members

When I was a teenager I boiled mine when they became dead and it brought them back to life to get another 1/3 -1/2 of the original preboiled life....worked great at getting all the deadening oil out of them and making them sound new again. I still do it with flatwounds cuz I don't like the sound of the new ones so older is better.

• Members

I stretch my strings by holding with my left hand starting at the 1st fret and pulling up a couple of inches a few frets down with my right. I move up a few frets and repeat until I'm almost at the bridge. I retune and repeat until you can barely hear the string coming out of tune.

I also restring one string at a time.

Boiling bass strings is a pretty good solution. It seems to work particularly well with steel strings if I recall correctly.

My old bassist had pretty oily fingers and the boiling solution was good for him.

• Members

I used to do it when I gigged a lot. It did seem like it took less time to stretch the strings out to where they'd hold a tuning.

Now that I'm just a bedroom guitarist I never do it - I just stretch 'em till they hold a tuning.

• Members

This is likely a case of Eddie lying on purpose to screw with people. He has admitted that he often did this in the old days so people would not know how he pulled off all his sounds.

LOL That's possible... but in the article he was talking about pre-stretching the strings before he clamped them down on his floyd rose trem, which is a pain to tune quickly [not that I know much about floyds] unless you do it one string at a time ? :confused:

By the way,

Thanks to everybody for their contribution !

• Members

I've only ever broken ONE string after 15 years of stretching nearly every set I put on a guitar. It was with my Parker. I didn't have enough string on the post (locking tuners) and I was pulling the string against the edge of the string hole. Now I just give a little more slack and make sure it pulls against the post instead.

About half of my string sets get replaced due to sheer grunginess, not breakage.

• Members

Funny! I tried that one back in the 1970's; it pre-dates EVH.

"Someone" back then in an interview claimed that boiling strings made them last longer and stretch better. Can't remember who, but it was one of the big shots back then.

So I threw a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkys in a Pasta pot, cranked up the heat, and.....

... "RUSTED COOKED STRINGS":eek: USELESS ! ! ! WORTHLESS !!!

That being said:

EVH has said a lot of things that turned out later to be a red herring of sorts. Basically a case of not wanting other guitarists to cop his set-up; so he would admittedly blow smoke in interviews.

• Members

I've found that stretching doesn't just stretch the string, but it makes the wraps around the peghead tighter as well. I don't even bother tuning all the way to pitch until I put a good stretching on them once, tune to pitch, stretch, retune and after that they are in tune for quite a while.

Archived