GFS tele build suggestions, please!

sodacose

• Members

So I'm sprucing up the old Japanese tele knock-off. Before you go all lipstick-on-a-pig on me though, this was my first guitar; it needs to be brought up to snuff if for no other reason than nostalgia. I would like to keep it on a budget (hence GFS). Here's what I'm looking to do:

-Swap out weird old bridge (crappiest saddles I've ever seen and rear-plate-loaded strings)

-Drill out old body for ferrules

-Swap bridge pup (currently a MM)

-Possible neck pup swap (it's an old strat pup from the parts bin, yes the pg hole is oversized)

So what would you dudes recommend? I'd like to get a fairly vintage sound and have been looking at the GFS tele bridge pups. Any experiences with those you'd like to relate? Also, if you have any cool tele pup combinations, I'd love to hear them (traditional bridge pup, neck style is up for grabs). I am willing to do some pg mods and body routing if neccessary.

To show my appreciation for all your help, I will be posting the build when the parts come in! Thanks!

:rawk:

• Members

Well if you are willing to route the body,how bout a P90 or mini hum in the neck.

Yeah, mini hum is one of the things I am considering. The rout is actually probably big enough as is for one to fit (just have to cut the pg). First I really just want to get the bridge and bridge pup up and going. Do you have any recommendations as far as mini's go?

• Members
I had a Tele I built with a Dream 180 in the neck and a Vintage 62 Alnico bridge pickup - both from GFS - and it was one fun little guitar
:)

daphne.jpg

Awesome! I was thinking about a full size 'bucker, but that would mean removing some wood. According to my measurments, a p90 or mini would fit fine in the route as is. The one Quarter suggested (thanks, btw) was one of them I was looking at.

On another topic, I might keep my bridge plate (such a groovy shape), but I want to replace the saddles. Any suggestions on brass barrel saddles (three, not six)? I may just have to live with strings loaded on the bridge.

• Members

I just talked to Jay. He recommended the 60's tele bridge as a match for the Mini PAF. I ordered those as well as the tele bridge and some ferrules.

Today I cut the headstock to resemble a traditional tele headstock.

Build thread to come when the parts arrive!

• Members

So I'm sprucing up the old Japanese tele knock-off. Before you go all lipstick-on-a-pig on me though...

Lipstick on a pig? Modding cheap-o's into players is the bee's knee's. We drove most of the cork sniffers out of here years ago :)

Archived